1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you detect Breast Cancer?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by xxAngelOnFirexx, Jul 23, 2007.

1. xxAngelOnFirexx

I was just curious to this subject matter seeing as breast cancer runs in the family. Following the pattern, I am likely to develop breast cancer. My Grandmother had it (and survived thankfully) but no one else in her family (sisters, mother) got it. My mom was thought to have it but the tumor was benign. I just have a few questions:
    Can you be too young to get it?
    What are some signs to start looking for?
    How can i tell the difference between a tumor or just normal breast tissue?
    How old do you have to be to start getting mamograms?
    Since it runs in the family should i start getting them earlier? (i'm 15)
    Am I being too worried or is this justifiable concern?

I am a bit of a hypochondriac but i'd rather be safe than sorry. worry than die of not noticing.

Thanks to anyone who replies with any information! It is greatly appreciated!(*hug*)

2. Kimi

I heard that massaging your breast is the easiest way to find...not sure:confused:

Ok, this might be a dump question but is that possible to get breast cancer even if you are male??

3. CrimsonThunder

yeah you can Kimi.

4. GuitarGirl1350

Hey angel!!!

Can you be too young to get it? -No. Anyone with breast tissue can develop breast cancer, including men.

What are some signs to start looking for?- Strange lumps in your breasts (which you can feel.) It's good to get a feel for your breasts and know if something is out of place.

How can i tell the difference between a tumor or just normal breast tissue?- You'll be able to determine it once you have a feel for what your breasts feel like. If you feel strange tissues that do not feel like your breast, you may want them to get checked out. It is also important to note that during your period your breasts swell and it is not the best time to take note of lumps or deformations.

How old do you have to be to start getting mamograms?- Around 40 if you don't suspect tumors, earlier if you have a family history of breast cancer or think you have a tumor.

Since it runs in the family should i start getting them earlier?- I'd say yes, but not at 15. 18 might be a good place to start, especially because of your family history. You can never be too careful.

Am I being too worried or is this justifiable concern?- It's definitely justifiable. Diabetes runs in my family and like you I concern myself with it.

The best way to "check" your breasts is to stand with an arm above your head and massage with two fingers in circular patterns around your breasts. Apply enough pressure to feel inside so you will know if something strange may be forming. I've also heard it's good to do "squeeze" tests, but I was taught to only do the massaging.

I hope it helps you!

5. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Though there is a lot of notice of families having cancer, 80% of new cancers are primary or discovered without a history of cancer in the family tree. So being aware is for everyone.

Too young to get cancer, no not really, but the incidence of Breast Cancer (BC) in a young age is extremely rare.

How does one detect it. The majority of BC in women is found by the individual doing self breast exams. As described above, placing the hand over your head and starting at the nipple, gently press and roll the fingertips around in the area covered by the fingertips. You are looking for lumps that are out of character for you (you will feel mammary ducts, sometimes there are some who have cystic breast tissue). It is best to have an exam by a professional and one that does a good job. Have them go over the results and if possible if you have certain benign lumps and bumps, have them point them out to you and you actually feel them. After each area is examined, move on to the area next to it and keep going until the entire breast has been covered. Just a note, most cancers develop and are found in the upper outer quadrant of the breast.

Keep in mind too, it is best not to do the breast exam while having your period as there will be changes in the tissue that is normal for the cycling. It could throw you off if done then.

The squeeze test it done with gentle squeezing of the breast above the nipple and a gradual movement down to the nipple to see if there is any bloody or unusual discharge seen. There can be a clear to milky fluid seen depending on where a woman is in her monthly cycle. Yellow color or bloody/mucous fluid needs to be checked out.

Yes MALES can develop BC. About 9% of all cancers common to men is BC.

The most common age for doing mammograms is 40. I still recommend yearly, but there is a push for every two years. If for some reason a young woman has gone through menopause, either premature or surgically or chemically induced, should begin mammograms on the same schedule of age 40. How is cancer detected by these x-rays - the density seen in a mass, its shape (regular borders or rough, strong association with calcium deposits). If seen, it needs further testing to be sure, usually involving a biopsy of the area, usually with needle and aspiration technique but sometimes direct surgical excision.

What are the symptoms - In the early stage, not much. Sometimes there is the lump and bumps described above found doing a self breast exam. Over the area of tumor may be dimpling of the skin, it looks pulled in. Sometimes there is a color change in the skin. If a lump is felt, if it has an irregular border (not smooth and pretty much uniform all around) it needs to be checked further. In later stages there is usually involvement of the lymph nodes leading to the armpits. Advanced can be in many forms, ulcerations, large deformity in the breast, swollen arm, etc. It is best to try to catch it as early as possible.

Family tree again - some families carry certain genes that appear to increase the chances of BC, but it is not a certainty if you have them. BRECA I & II are the genes tested for. If you don't have them, it doesn't mean you are totally safe, as remember 80% of BC is found in woman who have no family history of the disease.

Prevention would be the key to strive for but as yet there doesn't seem to be a magic bullet in this area to prevent cancer from occurring. A combination of things would seem to help reduce the risks: Diet (fruits, veggies, limited fats) Exercise (walking, swimming, tennis, gardening [yep it is a form of exercise]) are a few samples but you don't have to kill yourself or train like an professional. Stress reduction - This I would include to mean adjusting mental attitude too. Meditation is helpful, reduce anger, resentment, feeling like you are against the world all the time. Seek out pleasurable things as hobbies and activities that bring you into social contact frequently with loved ones.

Are you being a worry-wart, well somewhat, but understandable. Just learn enough to become aware of signs and symptoms and do what you can for yourself in self breast exams. At present that is about all you can do and if something should develop, finding it early is much better and prognosis is much better.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

JayHew

6. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Srry I can't help you with ur other questions since I don't exactly have breasts :icon_wink , but I can tell u that it is a justifiable concern since u r aware that u might be at risk. That's probably the smartest move to do in ur case. It's better to attack it before it happens than wait for it to sneak up on you!

7. xxAngelOnFirexx

Thank you all for your information! I found it greatly helpful. it is greatly appreciated! ^_^

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Guitargirl and JayHew..........great responses!

Angel........I would definitely be aware and start doing self-breast exams. I'm not sure if you have had your first pelvic exam yet but your doctor will do an intake of breast cancer history in your family and advise you when you should start having mammograms. Also, did you know that lesbians are more at risk for breast cancer because most of them don't have children? I've heard of some people who have a high risk just getting breasts removed as a precautionary procedure. I don't think I could ever go this route but it might be an option for some.