1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swimming good for skin?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by theworld, Aug 15, 2009.

1. theworld

hi...just wondering what your opinions were. from a quick google search it looks like the answer is a yes. :slight_smile:

2. SilhouetteDream

Well...depends. Are we talking pool or ocean?
    Normal skin, dry skin, or oily skin.
    I myself have extremely dry skin also known as eczema. Severe.
    Personally for me, he chlorine water seems to help. Others will say the harsh chemicals makes it worse.
    But in general, I can't see how pool water could be bad- in fact it can kill bacteria on the skin (which is why it is believed to help people with eczema) perhaps the same with acne? But I wouldn't suggest staying in the pool for extended periods of time, especially if you have blond hair haha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Now the ocean...I mean, it's salt (which is known to help eczema) but in general, I'm not so sure. I suggest googling it?
    I guess both could have benefits for normal skin, but my specialty is for dry skin. I would think in general though that the pool would have more benefits than the ocean.
    Any questions about eczema/dry skin though, ask away- I'm the expert on that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. theworld

lol, I actually tend to have more oily skin and I meant pool swimming. I did google it but got mixed results although there tended to be more positive ones.

4. moirai

Well, for me if its in a chlorinated pool it helps.

5. Beachboi92

Well i would think salt in ocean water would be good to dry up acne or oily skin, and chlorine i know works to clean your face and stuff. But like everything else prolonged exposure to either could prob be bad for your skin. Especially if you don't wash after being in the ocean or pool

6. Jekko

The ocean is always good and it's known as a cure for many skin disorders such as eszema, acne, keratosis pilaris, psoraisis etc.

The pool on the other hand is polluted with chlorine and pist... EEW

7. Ben

Ben

Sea water is actually amazing. Last time I went swimming in the sea, for the next few days my hands were softer than they've ever been before.

8. shorty

Salt water is amazing stuff. Generally if you get cut in salt water it heals real quick, and surfer dudes always seem to look great. (tropical salt water isn't so good for cuts though, infections seem more common)

9. Shevanel

All of above ^ Reasons why the Ocean is amazing <3 :grin:

10. Emberstone

as long as kids/old people dont pee in the pool before you get in...

most pools now are moving over to a salt system to stay clean, and are moving away from cholrine.

11. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've swam for 15+ years in chlorinated water. I swim in open water every chance I get. Given all the "debris" in swimming pools, thank God for chlorine. It kills germs in under 3 seconds from exposure. More and more public pools are going to using salt water instead of chlorine for sanitazation, largely due to cost savings. You will know after two weeks if the pool is drying out your skin. Even so, swimming is excellent exercise, and I happen to enjoy the scenery of fit men and women in swim suits. Acne was mentioned above. If that's an issue, you need to wash the affected area well immediately after any exercise. Residual Sweat + Skin = Acne. Its not the exclusive formula, but certainly a contributor.

12. Hoppip

And if you're wearing waterproof sunscreen, you get the added effects of being under the sun and allowing your skin to synthesis delicious Vitamin D! The sun clears up my acne more than anything, I'd like to think. :')