1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Pasalacqua, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Pasalacqua

I've been having panic attacks for about a year now, maybe a bit longer. They started off pretty spaced out, but they've been getting more frequent lately.
    I'll have a few days to maybe a week here and there where I'm just nervous and unstable.
    I convinced my parents to take me to a doctor to see if there's anything they can do for me.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is like this at all, and if you've seen a doctor about it, what they've done for you.

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I have anxiety; issue with me though is that I have about a thousand other things wrong, so the medications I take for those other things help the anxiety.

Typically doctors will prescribe you a benzo like Ativan or Klonopin to help calm your anxiety. Buspar is also used for anxiety as well. Try to stay away from Klonopin though, it can be addictive (as I found out when my doctor put me on it).

3. dude99

dude99 Guest

I do have panic attacks but it does not happen much. I told my doctor and psychatrist about it. Well I have been given stuff like Valium, ducine effexor. Valium is not commonly percribed thesedays.

4. ArcaneVerse

Hii, Anxiety Disorders are a very common occurrence and often go undiagnosed. It's good to see that you have taken the initiative and are seeking help, Anxiety Disorders can be very debilitating if left untreated.

If you happen to have an attack before your given medication to treat it, the best thing to do is go into a quiet room and try to control your breathing, in for 5 seconds out for 5 seconds, best advice I've ever gotten. A glass of water and some one there to help you calm down is also a plus.

I don't know how much of a personal story your after but here is some of mine.

The first attack I had hit me like a sledge hammer with a whole spectrum of shit, shakes, hyperventilation, dizziness, restlessness, tingling and partial numbness in my legs, arms and lips, nausea, hot flashes and cold sweats and the dreaded "impending doom" panicky feeling, but lucky my mum was there with me, helped me through it. She also has an Anxiety Disorder. Told me about the breathing trick, its been a great help to me since then as I don't take medication for it, which I don't advise doing at all. That first time was one of the worst days of my life, after the first attack I continued to have around 5 more over a 3 day weekend. Couldn't eat anything for over a week, stayed in bed basically 24/7 and eventually started to recover.

Since then I've had one or maybe two other major "episodes", where the attacks have extended continuously over more than one day, but have had countless other attacks and anxiety related symptoms.

Been to a few psychiatrists and been prescribed two different medications at separate times for my anxiety disorder and depression, one of them was Aropax (which is like Paxil in America) which is what my mum is on at the moment, I don't remember what the other one was called. Also I have been prescribed something called Kalma to help for when I have an attack or as a preventative when I feel one coming on. I have only ever taken the Kalma, as I don't think I'm ready to take the other medication.

But like I said before, I don't advise not taking medication if that is what your doctor has said you should do. I have let my anxiety control me and my life and its a harder process from where I am. My disorder has progressed into Agoraphobia and I only leave my house a few times a year and those times are hell on me.

Its also a good idea to find out what's the cause of these attacks and try to deal with it to help prevent future attacks.

anyway hope that covers what you were after and good luck with everything and remember we're all here if you need us. =]

#4 ArcaneVerse, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009