1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accutane for 1 month?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Time, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Time

I have a month's supply left over from 2007 when I was taking the medicene for my acne. Unfortunately, I didn't finish the full 5 month regimen [hence me having some left over] and it's coming back, although not nearly as bad as last time. I was wondering if it would have any effect at all if I took it for one month. The side effects were almost unbearable last time, but I'm willing to go through them again to clear up my complexion. However, if taking it for only 1 month will have no effect, then I'm not going to bother. Thanks.

2. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As severe as some of the side-effects are, and the potential for liver damage, I'd recommend seeing your dermatologist to see what's best.

Perhaps some antibiotics or another treatment would be better.

3. KaraBulut

Accutane can cause liver damage. You shouldn't take it unless you're under a doctor's supervision with the necessary blood work. And 30 days isn't going to be enough.

Sometimes a second course of Accutane is needed for recurrent acne. Make an appointment with your dermatologist. He may consider a shorter course or a lower dose this time around.

4. chonko3266

What were your side effects from the last time?

5. KatoKumi

Go on.

6. Time

Basically the medicine dried out my entire body, causing dry lips, flaky skin [on my face], and nosebleeds. It also made me experience mood swings.

7. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I did that before (some left over)

It takes a while like a week and the only side affect for me was dry lips. Do it if you think you're relatively the same health, lbs and stuff.

8. Tasha

Tasha Guest

Check with Dr Dermo but if you going back on it again make sure you use really good moisturisers that DON'T contain vitamin E. It'll make the dryness worse and if you end up in the sun you'll burn like that Godric guy from True Blood! If you use the right directions and stay away from the drugs and booze it should be fine though.

9. Time

Well, I decided not to do it. I think ProActiv has finally started working for me, in addition to the Clearasil Ultra Pimple Blocker Pen. Good stuff. :slight_smile:

10. Lacan

I had a successful course of Accutane treatment when I was like 16. No word on liver damage -- I did dry out a bit, but it worked quite well. I would just consult with your PCP and dermatologist, make sure the necessary tests come out right, and go from there.

Good luck though. I had some pretty bad cystic acne back in the day which definitely made the whole teenage/coming out/human process more difficult. Thankfully I managed to escape with minimal scarring. Just trust your derm -- he/she knows what's up.

11. Gumtree

Accutane treatments generally take 6-7 weeks minimum before making any significant differences to your skin so I would avoid taking your left-over medication.

Also, if your previous routine didn't work and you're feeling like you want to try again then I would definitely see your doctor, second treatments are often lower doses and sometimes come with antibiotic creams, especially if you were subject to some of the more severe side-effects.

Good luck!