1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Psych Med; Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Swamp56, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Well, I've successfully come off Quetiapine Fumarate (Seroquel) 800mg (200qid/600qid). I somehow did it rapidly and only had some insomnia and stomach problems.

I've already tried Risperidone (Risperdal), Ziprasidone (Geodon), Aripiprazole (Abilify) and Quetiapine Fumarate (Seroquel) and all of them have side effects on me that are almost unbearable. Risperidone made me gain 20 pounds, Ziprasidone made me fall asleep, Aripiprazole gave me akithisia, and Quetiapine Fumarate made me tired, gain weight, gave me anorgasmia, and gave me memory loss.

I've decided to try a conventional (first-generation) antipsychotic instead of the newer atypical antipsychotics (which all of the previous meds I stated are). Issue being that the conventional's have higher risks of tardive dyksinesia (uncontrolled muscle movements mainly in the tongue and jaws) and akithisia (not being able to sit still or stop moving).

I'm looking at Haloperidol (Haldol) and then keeping Chlorpromazine (Thorazine) in the waaay back of the list due to its weight gain and akithisia and sexual dysfunction %'s (30% of patients get each of those).

Due to my issues with stopping meds because I get delusional, haloperidol offers a depot dose, which is basically a time-released injection of the medicine that you get once or twice a month.

I'm also looking at Molindone (Moban) ^___^ . I meet with my psychiatrist for the last time tomorrow; I'm trying to find a new one in West Hartford, CT (which is where I'm moving to on Saturday).

#1 Swamp56, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2009
  2. Eleanor Rigby

Chris, I personnaly understand absolutly nothing about your medication. I don't think that anyone who hadn't done medical study does.
    What is worrying me is that (but I can be wrong) it seems that you are dealing with all this medical change without medical supervision.
    Is it the case ? Does a doctor prescribes you to change your former medicines for something else ? Because if not, it sounds awfully dangerous to me.
    I really really hope you are not messing alone with your treatment, Chris. Please be careful on what you are doing.
    Take care, Eleanor

3. Tim

Tim

^ From the names I do recognize, none of those can be obtained, (at least in California, not sure about Mass, but I'm pretty sure those are like, US laws, not cali laws) without a Doctor/Psychiatrist's written prescription, so I'm inclined to believe he does have supervision in regards to taking them, otherwise he's like, forging them, which I doubt he would admit to seeing as his parents are both members on here.

However, what I'm thinkin' in regards to what you probably thought: Did you quit the one you were on very fast, as in, almost cold turkey? (That's what it's sounding like). No doctor would tell a patient to do that, as a lot of meds have some massively dangerous side effects if you don't wean off them.

In regards to the actual topic: I can't help much, I only recognize like 2-3 of those names, and in fact, I'd have to say that EC shouldn't be the place to ask this, tbh. It's more of a question that you and your psychiatrist should be making, not people on the internet that do not know your medical history, nor allergies you may have, etc.

Sorry, just my .02. :S

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I mainly wrote this thread for our health professional :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: . And yes, my psychiatrist prescribes me all those medications. I stopped the Seroquel rather suddenly but she lowered it today to 400mg and I agreed to take it as long as she gave me topamax to counterbalance the weight issue.

Also note that I confused "qid" with "qd" ;_; .

5. Eleanor Rigby

Ok then :wink:
    But I think that if you wrote that thread four our health professional, it would have been more simple to just sent him this in a PM, as I am not sure anyone else but you could really benefit from his reply.

Good luck with your new medication Chris, and take care, Eleanor

6. Mitchell

I, too, have gone through the pharmacy and tried most medications.

I found clozapine to work for me... I am actually able to function when I take it. I was on a cocktail of different medications for the longest time... but this worked for me.

Only down side is that you need your blood tested weekly.

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Thing with clozapine is that it's usually used for treatment-resistant people, and requires as you said, the testing. I'm, thank god, not treatment resistant ^_^ (Seroquel works wonders, but bleh, I hate the side effects).

#7 Swamp56, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2009
  8. Mitchell

Ahh... okay.

Can you not have a talk with your doctor about what you should go on?