1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Age

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jack2009, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I'm a bit worried about getting around 70 and above, and being lonely old man...

Who's worried about old age?

2. Miles D

I made a promise to myself a long time ago that I would never get "old." My definition of "old" is that I can no longer do the things I love or be with people I care about. If I can't continue playing music, if I don't have any friends or family left, and I've had a good & long life, then I'll end it. I'm not suicidal, I just see that every good thing must come to an end.

"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." -Unknown

3. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Age is the toll the body takes from being alive. We all will grow old. We all wil die, its part of being alive. Its common for old people to feel lonely because all their contacts are dying out. I dont mind being lonely at an old age but as long as I own memories that make me feel alive, I'll be ok. All and all, your only young once, live it up or live in regret.

4. techie01

Agreed with Legnaj, time is variable we can't control and I rather like it that way, that no one can escape it. It makes us just seem that fragile that we thought we were :slight_smile:

5. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

Dying when and how i choose is the way forward for me, once i'm at the age where i'm no longer able to live independently of others or, as said above, i.ve outlived my peers or become terminally ill.

I think one or more of the Native American/ First Nations tribes had the right idea, at a certain point of your choosing you should be able to go off to find a nice spot and make your peace with the world.

This my own personal choice for myself , i hope my parents live long , happy lives and when they should pass they are surrounded by the family.

6. Jim1454

70 really isn't that old any more. My dad is 68 and I hardly think of him as old. His mother is 92 and still living on her own and doing quite well. She certainly isn't lonely, as she still has sisters that she spends time with, as well as her 3 sons, their wives, 7 grandchildren, their partners, and now 5 great grand daughters!

I suppose I don't worry about it, because it isn't something I can control anyway - my age. However, I'm doing my darndest to get fit so that I'm able to enjoy my later years. It's also up to me to ensure I have friends around at all ages.

I am fortunate to have two beautiful little girls too, so if I continue to be a good father, I assume they'll continue to be good daughters - and come and visit once in a while.

7. mattypants

70? im a bit freaked about past 57.... :eek:

8. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Old is different to everyone. I say old is when you can't do things on your own anymore, and are unable to look after yourself. That part is a bit scary to me, but to be honest I really don't think about it too much.

9. Greggers

Im looking forward to getting old, because i know i wont be alone.

Im far to stubborn, anal, obsessed, passionate and commitment-a-holic to be alone. I will cut off my arm before im alone.

I want to grow old with someone, thats all i would ever ask for in my entire life.

10. littledinosaurs

The newspapers consider you old once you hit 65.
    I don't know if living to 65 or older is in my general life plan.
    *shrug*
    that could change.

11. Étoile

I'm more afraid of the superficial stuff. LOL Like getting wrinkles, smelling, and looking strange in certain clothes. The more important things scare me too. I'll hate to grow old alone or grow sick and not be able to care for myself. As long as I'm doing what I love and I'm surrounded by people that love me, I'll be happy.

12. Apocalypte

I want to be the nutty old lady that wins the over-70 division in triathlons :grin:

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My grandmother has Alzheimer's and my grandfather has Parkinson's I believe. My father's mother and mother and family had a lot of like...cancer, diabetes, etc...so I'm kinda worried about getting old because I might succumb to that which I don't care to lose my life to disease. I mean hell these days I get hot flashes type thing because I get out ofroutine and too many visual stimulation, oh and migraines too and I'm only 21. Last thing I need to is to be 70 and dealing with losing my mind. So yeah, I'd say I'm worried.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>The newspapers consider you old once you hit 65.

That's nothing. According to the "gay community", I'm already old. :slight_smile:

I don't worry about being old. I figure each new year as an exciting new challenge. I loved being 21, so let's see what 22 is like. 39 has been great, and I can't wait for 40. And every year, I change a bit. People tend to focus on the negatives - wrinkles, less hair on head, more hair on body, rounder. But there are plenty of positives. I keep getting wiser (if not smarter). I make more friends. I feel more and more comfortable in my own skin. And I get to see and experience more and more. All of that is worth a hairy back and a bigger gut, if you ask me. :slight_smile:

Lex

15. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Idc about age; you're only as old as you feel.

16. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was younger I used to freak out about getting old, but as you actually start to get there you realize it ain't nothing but a thing.

17. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I didn't start really LIVING until I was in my late 30's! I'm 47 and loving life! However, I could do without these aches and pains. lol

18. 71390S

71390S Guest

Not worried, because the alternative is being dead.

19. starfish

Nothing I can do about it, so I don't worry about it.

20. fallendream

what they said