1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anorexia

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Phantasma, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Phantasma

I don't have a major problem, but I'm in search of some information on anorexia. Particularly the symptoms of it, but more specifically information on the attitudes and/or thought processes that may be signs of the problem developing. I've done some google searches, but the results don't really explain the symptoms as much as they do just list them off.

Any responses will be appreciated.

2. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    * losing control, feel lost, depress
    * starvation makes you feel like you have control, but if you eat you will feel like you're about to die because you are gaining all the weight back and you're becoming a pig and disgusting
    * you have horrible body image of yourself (you might even be thin enough)
    * you have an obsession of weight lost, or not gaining fat because you will feel unlovable

that's pretty much all i know based on personal searches

3. Ben

Ben

I'm pretty sure anorexia is (or can be) genetic. I've had two close family members who have struggled with it to some degree.
    Everything I say here might be wrong but it's just the impression that I've got from living with people who have had this. I think it's primarily a self-worth/self-confidence issue that manifests itself in this way. So to defeat it, you have to build your confidence and then body image issues won't be as bad and the person will realise that they need to eat to stay healthy. The first stage of treatment though would probably be gaining weight back as that needs to be done to keep the person safe.
    One major cause is society. Of course when children grow up exposed to actresses who are stick thin and things like Barbie Dolls which are unnecessarily disproportionate, the image of "beauty" is altered so that the person may think that skinny is beautiful. All you have to do is open up a fashion magazine to see unhealthily skinny people draped in fabric to see what the person with anorexia may feel she (or he) has to be.
    It is most common in teenaged girls, but it does affect some men too. I've always thought that this is because male models are rarely very skinny, but can be overly muscly. I'm not sure if anorexia in women has similar causes to muscle dysmorphia in men?

Anorexia is a tough struggle, and if you find yourself losing weight because you refuse to eat things because you want to be skinnier, you might find that it would help to either go to the doctor or go and talk to a therapist. To the person with anorexia, recognition that they have a problem and want to sort it out is a huge step, because it is far too easy to get caught in the trap of "I don't have a problem".

4. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all