1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asthma, Veganism and Nutrition question.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MusicIsLife, Sep 3, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

Hey everyone!

So I've been asthmatic since i was about 7 or so, and it never went away. So a few years ago I went vegan but it didnt really affect my asthmatic issues.

But lately I've had a fair few attacks, and it takes a while for my inhaler meds [Symbicourt] to kick in. I used to take Bricanyl and Pulmicourt, but the Bricanyl became too strong for me and I had a lot of nasty side effects so i was switched to symbicourt.

Anyway, i read online that sometimes athsma symptoms can be helped by a diet change, and keeping in mind what you're allergic to. I am allergic to seafood, cats and dust. I dont eat meat so the seafood is no problem, but i have 4 cats, and theres always been dust in my house. I take Clairitin for the cats and dust allergies.

Added to that, i also read that asthma symptoms might get worse if you have a deficiency in Magnesium, B12, D, B6 and C, if I missed any just add them :slight_smile:

Now here are my questions:

the article I found on ehow.com recommended taking suppliments for vitamin C, B6, magnesium, B12, N-acetyl cysteine, and selenium. From where are these vitamins usually derived from? If they're animal-based, do you know of a place where I could find them from a vegetable source? [And yes I know b12 is usually derived from animals, but the health food store near my house sells b12 suppliments that are plant-based.]

Is there anything else I could do to help fix my athsma before i have an attack? My mom suggested exercise, and I do. I bike 6KM [~3 miles] 4-5 days a week.

Any advice would be awesome. :slight_smile:

2. Gumtree

Asthma is really complicated and it's hard for anyone to give advise on, especially considering how little we know about what motivated it and how much it can vary between person to person.

The article talking about the vitamins and minerals is somewhat correct but only to an extent, unless severely deficient is the suggested nutrients (and if so, Asthma would be the least of your worries), they're not significant influences on Asthmatics.

Vitamin C and Magnesium would be the most important ones when it comes to respiration in my opinion but I would also consider your Iron levels.

If you're looking to avoid pill supplements then I would suggest eating a few seeds and nuts (sesame seeds and almonds in specific if i remember correctly), and best of all (sorry if you're not Aussie) Vegemite! Yeast extracts are an excellent form of B vitamins!

KB will prob post soon with more info :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hope it helped!

P,S
    Do you ever experience any Asthmatic symptoms during your exercise or shortly after?
    Another thing to look at it temperature changes, not just moving from one room to another or from indoors to outdoors but just in differing your moods etc (entering deep relaxation, sudden movements etc).