1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aurorix/Amira/MAOIs??

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Dave, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Dave

I've been under treatment for Depression for six months now,
    I was originally on Zoloft but I'd been having undesirable side effects, so I was taken off and put on Amira (generic replacement for Aurorix) on a 600mg dose (300mg a day for 2 weeks, then the full 600 from this Monday)
    Since starting on it I've become moody and continually angry/tired/upset all at once, with rapid mood swings sometimes very quickly switching.

I want to know if anyone else has been on this and what their experiences were and feel comfortable talking, or if anyone knows something about it can you tell me please?? I'm going to the doctors on Tuesday, because it's made me worse and I want to know if this'll go away

2. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

By treatment do you mean just the medicine or are you seeing a psychologis/therapist as well. In my opinion, Increase in medication with no results or desired results indicates that the medicine can only bring you up so far out of the hole, try seeing a therapist who also works along side a clinical doctor that way you have 2 professionals figuring out diffrent ways on tackling your symptoms.

3. Dave

well I'm not seeing a therapist yet, while I was on Zoloft I was happy, I could deal, but the side effects kinda screwed me around too much to be able to stay on it. I was put on these MAOIs because they don't have the same side effects

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

MAOI's are for last resort use if SSRI's or tricyclic antidepressants haven't worked. They have some fatal interactions.

5. Dave

I know the interactions and everything, hence why I can't eat cheese, we decided it would be worth giving it up though to get rid of the side effects of the SSRI

6. KaraBulut

The generic name is moclobemide. It's a more selective category of MAOI, called a RIMA and isn't the last resort like the older MAOIs. However, it is a big change to go from an SSRI to a RIMA.

The issue with antidepressants is that it often takes a trial of several medications before you find the one that works for you and the one that you can tolerate the side effects. And just because you had a particular side-effect on one SSRI, doesn't mean that the entire category should be excluded.

What side effects did you have on Zoloft?

Talk to your doctor. Let him know that you're having the side effects. If you're being prescribed these drugs by a general practitioner, it might be time to move to a psychiatrist who has experience with depression in adolescents.

#6 KaraBulut, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  7. Dave

The side effects were: Tiredness and Lack of energy, Loss of sex drive, Headaches, a few others as well I can't remember too but the three up there were the most important, I discussed it with my doctor, and he put me on these, after an unsuccessful trial period of being off all meds. If I don't have a decent working dosage after seeing my doctor tomorrow, I am changing doctors (from my mums request) and seeing a counsellor at uni

8. KaraBulut

SSRIs and SNRIs tend to have fewer side effects than most of the antidepressants. The sexual side effects are what many people complain about. However, the lack of energy and tiredness are atypical of this class of drugs (SSRIs are prescribed for migraine prevention, actually). It may have been unique to the specific medication. Unless there's a dramatic untoward reaction such as anger issues, violence or compulsive behaviors, physicians will try 2-3 different drugs in a class before they change to a different class.

Changing doctors sounds like a good idea. You might want to find a psychiatrist who specializes in depression or in working with adolescent depression.

9. Dave

Well I head off to the Doctors in 40mins,
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look into my options and see if all goes well today

10. Dave

OK an update,
    I've been so tired that I haven't been bothered to put up an update lol
    I went to my doctors and he recommended trying a new doctor who I'll be seeing tomorrow.
    I'm still on the same meds and I'm still in the same condition, except slightly worse

11. Jim1454

Well keep it up. You have to keep trying, and by your own advocate.

I'm on 'Effexor'. It has worked well for me, but I'm working on lowering my dose to eventually be off it entirely. It does have the effect of lowering my sex drive but it hasn't eliminated it. And the pros have definitely outweighed the cons.

Good luck.

12. Dave

Ok Been to the Docs on Monday,
    Been taken off my old meds and put on Cymbalta
    I've had only one side effect so far, and that may just be because of the sudden switch that my doctor asked for.
    I've got full blood tests going through, and will find out the results and how effective this new stuff is next Monday. so far, I'm feeling better already.

13. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Cymbalta is an SNRI; it works by increasing these two neurotransmitters called Serotonin and Norepinephrine in the brain. By blocking the chemicals from falling back from the synapse into the neuron from which they came from allows for more chemicals to enter into the following neuron, increasing flow.

14. KaraBulut

Glad to hear that they changed your medication and you're feeling better.

15. Dave

Well guys :slight_smile: I'm back to being me again :grin:
    I'm happy with myself, the meds work perfectly (just one small sexual side effect though)
    I found a new boyfriend this week too so I'm in a really great place :grin: