1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sleep problems

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Helen, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Helen

Helen Guest

Okay, so I've been sleeping really badly for the past few months, and I really want to try and improve it for when I start college in 2 days. Here are the things I'm facing:

1. It takes me at least 2 hours to get to sleep on a normal night, no matter how relaxed I am beforehand.

2. Trying to sound as unchildish as possible, I get scared very easily when I'm in bed, in the dark, even if there's a little light on, when I remember things from various horror-related things I've watched, or read. There's one particular thing that I saw in a miniseries about 3 years ago, that scared the hell out of me, and it's the main thing that keeps me awake in terms of being scared. I've already tried stopping watching horror movies and reading Stephen King novels, I've been off them for several months now, but I still remember the one thing that really scared me, so I think the damage has already been done.

3. I've been under a lot of stress, because I need to find a job soon, and I'm starting at a brand new place full of brand new people, so I'm very nervous about that. I'm also worried about my family's future, because my dad still hasn't been able to find a job, and neither has my mum.

These three things have basically contributed to me not being able to sleep properly. It's having an awful effect on me, I'm moody and lethargic for most days, and it's started my comfort-eating up again, so I get into trouble with my parents for sneaking food. I also sleep with my mouth open, which means that my breath is dire in the mornings and takes a lot more brushing than normal, and my teeth are a lot yellower than they should be.

Does anyone have any suggestions on sleeping pills that I can buy confidentially in the UK, as a 16 year old? My mum won't let me get them, but I've honestly tried every relaxing technique that I could possibly find, and I just want to get a good night's sleep, for ONCE!:help:

2. Possibly Maybe

I'm the Queen of Insomnia!!

Ok. let's see if I remember everything.

Tips for you:

*don't drink/eat anything an hour or so before going to bed

*get a routine, it takes a bit of time, but i pays off in the long run. Go to bed at the same time everyday and wake up at the same time too.

*You have to perceive going to bed as something you've earned after a hard day, and not as a battle.

*Try not to excite yourself with thoughts about your problems.

I've tried Valerian root pills, they are free at any drug store /pharmacy. But as with any pills, you should ask the pharmacist or/and your doctor. The pills will calm you down, and eventualy make you sleep.

I've tried them, but they didn't work on me lol i've also tried the drops, which work better. The BIG downside of the drops is that they smell. I mean, they really smell. Horrid, putrid smell. You feel like you're swallowing water from the sewage.

I've never tried anything else, as i hate to take pills.

Also, i would like to leave my little story here, in case someone can help me.

I can't sleep. I've always (since childhood) had trouble falling asleep. When most people take about 15/30 minutes I take double or more. My biggest problem at the moment is no longer getting to sleep, is that i wake up in the middle of the night for no reason! For the past two weeks or so I've woken up several times at 3am, 4am and I can't sleep again. I've seen a lot of sunrises these last few weeks, and however grateful i am for being alive to see them, i would like much more to be asleep. I've slept two consecutive nights now because i'm taking medication for my allergies (i'm sick at the moment), and it makes me drowsy.
    Can anyone help me??

3. Mickey

As cliche as it sounds,try warm milk an hour before bedtime.
    I sympathize with anyone who can't sleep. I suffer from it every night.
    Nothing helps me,but it's because I suffer from chronic pain.
    My Grandmother swore by warm milk,though. What do you have to lose?
    I wish you the best. Insomnia sucks.

4. RaeofLite

These things usually work with me.

-exercise 3-5 times a week moderately (jogging, speed walking, or other) and not three hours before you want to sleep.
    -don't eat 3 hours before bed
    -warm milk or sleepy time tea an hour or so before bed
    -TURN off the comp/TV/electronics and hour before bed
    -read or do something quiet before bed
    -stop worrying, finish your "to do list" in the daytime when you're not sleeping
    -have a warm bath close to bedtime
    -listen to soothing music
    -stop smoking if you do/don't smoke at all or drink before bed

Try some of those. Hope those help. Insomnia sucks.

5. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I listen to relaxing music for 15 mins (folk tbh) then I fall asleep

6. 507bro

get a comfy bed and comfy sheets and make sure
    your room is cool unless you like being warm.
    i don't suffer from insomnia, i suffer from oversleeping
    which is bad and i'm trying to stop XD

7. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I find listening to an extremely boring audio book does the trick for me. I also don't eat anything for about an hour and a half before bed. I have a strict routine I have to follow before I am able to fall asleep, so try doing a lot of small things right before going to bed. I usually turn off all the lights and unplug all the electronic devices (except the radio, which I can't sleep without), lock all the doors, tuck my cat in for the night, and make sure everything is set for the family in the morning. I find keeping to a strict regime right before bed helps me get tired out enough to fall right to sleep once I climb into bed.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some random things.

1. Accept your insomnia. Believe it or not, I think this is the most important thing of all. Because you'll start getting freaked out about the fact that you're not asleep yet, you'll do that math thing staring at the clock ("even if I fell asleep right now, that'd only be five hours of sleep..."), that'll simply add to your already-freaked-out level, and away you go. When you find yourself lying awake, accept it. "Ah. Insomnia again." Remember that you've dealt with this before, and yeah, maybe you'll be sluggish the next day, but it's nothing you can't handle. You've survived it before, you'll survive it again.

2. Accept that shit happens, but things eventually work out. Maybe they don't work out the way we'd like, but they almost always work out in a way that we can handle.

3. If the light is insufficient to scare the demons away, get a bigger light. I rarely am a "scared-of-the-dark" sort, but from time to time, I feel the night terrors come on. When they do, I just turn a lamp on. It's a bit harder getting to sleep with the light on, but it's a ton easier than getting to sleep with the heebie-jeebies. :slight_smile:

4. Don't try to push the scary-horror stuff away. Replace it. Read something uplifting, positive, fun before bed.

5. You might try a sound soother or some quiet music playing as you go to sleep. Some people like it, some people find it more of a distraction than a help. Don't pick songs you love - you'll just lie there and lip-synch. (Trust me on that one.) Pick classical or lighter jazz numbers.

6. If you can't sleep, get up. Get out of bed and do something BORING. I know - it's tempting to jump on EC and post, or hit World of Warcraft, or watch that movie you've been wanting to see. Nope. Don't. You'll get into it, you'll get engaged, and even if you do start feeling tired, you'll be far more likely to push those tired feelings away so you can finish (or continue) doing your enjoyable activity. Instead, pick something boring. Once you're in school, grab a textbook and review the last chapter. Or - my personal favorite...

...housework.

Housework is my secret weapon against insomnia. If I ever find I can't sleep, I get up and start cleaning house. It's AMAZING how tired I feel washing that fifth dish. I suddenly think "You know what? I guess I AM kinda tired" and shuffle off to bed. :slight_smile: And on those rare occasions when I DON'T feel tired right away? Hey, I get the dishes done. Win-win! :slight_smile:

Lex

9. Possibly Maybe

Aww thank you for all the tips. Some I knew, some i didn't :grin: You're all wonderful!!

10. Helen

Helen Guest

Sorry for not replying for so long, guys! I don't have regular internet right now, but I've read through all this - thank you guys, I'll try out everything you suggest that I'm able to try out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: If none of that works, I'll resort to the pills, but I will try at least three quarters of the stuff suggested before that :slight_smile:

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try not to do anything too mentally stimulating before bed.

Cut the caffine and try to do things during the day that wear you out.

Are you a smoker? Try not to light cut right before bed.

And here is a little something that help me when I really can't sleep, try giving yourself the low 5. It releases natural sleep chemicals.

12. cm25

cm25 Guest

same thing my mom does it and her mom did it so forth and its worked for them it works for me too just put it in the microwave for a minute or so and weve found that adding a lil tiny bit of vanilla makes it taste even better. but trust me it WORKS ur grandmother wasnt kiddin

13. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

If you find that you can't fall asleep naturally anymore, you may want to look into off-label sleeping medication. What I mean is, things like Seroquel (the medication I take), which is an antipsychotic that is used at low doses (like 25mg; I take 400mg) to treat insomnia.

There are all types of meds that sedate you, and can have you sleep very well.