1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masturbation: How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fiender, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Fiender

Is it possible to masturbate too much? I heard that doing it any more than 3 or so times a week could cause chemical imbalances in your body (because the body chemistry does change somewhat after an orgasm).

So is this true? Is there a safe number of times per week? Right now I commonly do it anywhere between 2-5 times a day (14-35 a week).

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't heard anything about a chemical imbalance or anything like that. I would say though that 2-5 times a day is quite a lot. Lol. But I see nothing wrong with it. As long as it's not harming you.

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is not set amount. But you can strain the muscles in your penis my using it too much. I find I masterbate when I'm bored, like when I have a 4 day week end and no one hang with.

As for the chemical imbalance thing...I'd check your source on that, seems...wrong.

4. Fiender

Well I got it from this site:
    http://www.ayurvediccure.com/over_masturbation.htm

5. djt820

If that's true Im really fucked. You can never over-masturbate. For christ sakes.

6. NickT

The whole 2-3 times a week thing is mostly for men above their...I'd say 30s.

For anyone younger than that though, the rate is MUCH higher, from 7/week (1 / day) to 3/day. After all, when you're going through puberty your hormones are on the move! Gradually though I've heard from adults that masturbation frequency just goes down on its own.

7. KaraBulut

For guys, there are only two things that are of concern:

1. "Mechanical irritation" - in other words, rubbing yourself raw.
    2. Prostatitis/urethritis - the glands that produce semen like consistency and unfortunately, during periods where you're causing them to produce extra semen, they tend to get overworked. This can cause the prostate and the bulbourethral glands to enlarge and become inflamed.

Other than that, it's not harmful.

#7 KaraBulut, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  8. ColdNight

ColdNight Guest

Meh. A few tips for masturbating:
    1) It's only too much, when you got none left.
    2) Your penis has feelings too. It likes it, but it gets exhausting. Such as, if you were to have sex every two hours for a week. I would be sore, and bored of it. (Some how) Think of what your penis needs!
    3) A clean penis, is a happy penis.
    ---

And yes, this wasn't meant to be helpful, just my, I need to sleep, silly speak.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the studies I've read about masturbation frequency, in people under 20, there's a substantial portion of the population (5-10%) that masturbate more than 3 times a day, and a much larger percentage (20-30%, perhaps more) that masturbate twice a day.

There are also people older that masturbate frequently as well. As Kara said, there are no health or safety issues from excess masturbation.

The ayurvedic medicine people are talking about different issues; from the perspective of ayurved, semen contains "chi", or life force energy, and so every time you ejaculate, you release chi, which, according to ayurvedic principles, weakens you. However, conventional medicine (and millions of people who masturbate more frequently than twice a week) would tend to dispute this belief.

So... I don't think you have anything to worry about. :slight_smile:

10. Gaetan

Beyond what others have said, you are masturbating too much when it begins to interfere with your normal life. But, that goes for most anything.

11. KaraBulut

Kind of a funny aside...

In the latter part of the 19th century, there was a large group of people in the US and the UK who believed that "wasting seed" was unhealthy and could cause all sorts of deviancy and health issues.

Boys were told that it would make them go crazy or that it would give them syphilis. There were all sorts of contraptions invented to keep boys from touching themselves. And a certain Dr Kellogg invented cereals that were supposed to encourage well-being and discourage oversexuality and masturbation. So, the next time that you're eating Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Special K, Rice Krispies or Frosted Flakes (yep- the same Dr Kellogg originated the Kellogg company), you'll have a good laugh.

While Dr Kellogg had some interesting ideas about diet that proved to be correct, he was way off base with his beliefs about masturbation.

12. KittyBoy

When I saw the thread title I could not help but laugh! To be honest? When your younger, you masturbate as much as you can and for as long as you can, lol. Aparently, for the average 13-17 year old, they masturbate around 1-2 times a day. Then I must be above average, lol. From then on the frequency seems to slip from 18-30 age group to about 5-7 times a week, and so on in that fashion until they can't do it anymore. Lol, I couldn't resist putting that in.

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok! This site is trying to sell some herbal crap, so I'd say this theory is debunked. Ask you doctor if you're really worried, but I'd say no.

14. Jim1454

Exactly. Are you maturbating instead of doing other things? Are you masturbating as a means of escape from negative feelings or emotions? While there are certainly physical considerations to keep in mind, there are also emotional ones to be aware of as well.

Most likely though, you've got nothing to worry about.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quick quiz.

* Are you skipping out on social activities to masturbate?
    * Is your schoolwork suffering because you're masturbating too much?
    * Do you masturbate until you're raw or sore?
    * Does it hurt when you're done?

If you answered "no" to all those questions, then you're not masturbating too much. This isn't the same as saying "You're not masturbating enough", mind you. :slight_smile:

Lex

16. Fiender

*Well I'm not involved in ANY social activities, so N/A
    *I'm not in school anymore
    *sometimes
    *a little

17. kettleoffish

If it's possible to masturbate too much, then I'm screwed (pun partially intended).

18. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

QFT. Never trust anything you hear from someone trying to tell you something.

If you are rubbing yourself raw, but you don't wish to decrease the frequency with which you masturbate, try using some sort of lubricant. It doesn't need to be anything special; it could be some sort of liquid soap, though you can only really use that when you shower, and make sure its a natural or gentle one, or else it will have the opposite effect. I recommend Aveno body wash.

Also, you mentioned that it sometimes hurts when you are done. When this happens, is it a superficial thing, or does it hurt deeper down? If it hurts because you have rubbed it raw, then it's nothing to worry about too much. If it hurts deeper than that, then you may have a situation on your hands.

19. Fiender

It's not like inside of me, it's just a bit of residual soreness I suppose.

Typo alert:
    roflmao, I'll try to remember that

20. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol. Though I'm guessing that when they reach a certain age group they reduce masturbating because they "graduated" to real sex... At the risk of TMI, I can't say my frequency dropped down after I got into the next age group...

Well, you do have to do some things around the house, or you do occasionally have to meet friends or acquaintances. Do you find yourself postponing necessary things to masturbate?

Does this hurting last long or is it just increased sensitivity? Some people are just very sensitive just afer masturbation...