1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donating blood

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Maddy, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, this is just about the physical and medical aspects of donating blood - please let's not turn this into a thread about the legal aspects of it.

I have my first blood donation appointment tomorrow and I was wondering if someone who donates or has donated could tell me what it feels like. I'm not scared of needles or of blood tests, which I've had a couple of. Is it similar to the feeling of a blood test? Also, I have lowish blood pressure (it tends to sit between 100/60 and 110/70) - will that be an issue? I've looked through the guidelines on the Red Cross website but I was hoping someone who's had it done could tell me from experience.

2. s5m1

It is easy and practically painless. They will do a little medical history on you at first and then take your blood pressure. If you are medically unable, they will let you know. The needle feels like a small prick and once it is in, it does not hurt. You lay there until you have filled the bag and then they take it out. There is no pain when it comes out. And after its over, you get juice and cookies! It is a wonderful thing to do, and you should feel really good about doing it. I did it many times in the past before I became ineligible because of you know what.

3. Jim1454

^ Agreed. It's no different than having blood taken for blood tests. You just have to lay there for a while. You don't feel it draining out of your arm. You don't feel lighter when it's done. I found that a drink of water before I donate helped them find the vein to use, and for the flow to be a little faster - but that might be all in my head.

I imagine that your low blood pressure is just an indication of your good health. It likely won't be a problem.

But if it's your first time, here in Canada they do pay particularly close attention to you to ensure that you don't have any problems, and that you don't faint when you stand up from the cot.

And yes - the juice and cookies - and the great feeling you get from giving something back to your community - are all good! I'm sure it will be fine.

4. KaraBulut

It doesn't hurt once the needle goes in. The techs who do this are very good and they get the vein on the first try.

As for fainting, blood pressure, etc. Your blood pressure is still within normal limits. Just make sure you're well hydrated the day before and the morning you donate. Eat a normal meal beforehand. Some of the centers have TVs, but it can be a little boring so you're welcome to bring an iPod or something to do that doesn't involve using your hands/arms. Take it easy for a day or so afterward (don't plan on running any marathons, etc).

My experience has been that guys faint much more often that the women do. But usually, after you've donated a couple of times, your body seems to adjust much quicker. There are many people who donate frequently who have no residual effect because they have adjusted to giving on a regular basis.

5. BlasttheCloset

Because of medical reasons, I have never been able to donate blood, but I have received many donations, and I want to thank you and say that you are doing a great thing! My advice is to be very calm, drink a big bottle of water in the 2-3 hrs before it, make sure you know your complete medical history before you go in (have a list of any meds you have, and basically everything that has ever happened to you medically). Then pat yourself on the back and feel good about what you've done!

6. olides84

Yeah, I used to donate a lot until I was ineligible. All I can add is that while you might be there for an hour or so, the actual blood donation only takes about 10-15 minutes. I also had fairly low blood pressure and it was never a problem. For some reason, my blood was quite eager to get out of my body and into the bag :slight_smile:

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's done! And it was fine. It only took me about five minutes to fill the bag, but just on an hour from going in to leaving. I feel fine, it hurts a little but nothing bad, and my iron levels were OK (which I'd been worried about). So yeah, it was all good - thanks for the advice/reassurance :slight_smile:

8. pirateninja

Jesus christ, everyone's so much quicker at donating than me! Mine always takes 15 minutes at the very least! :lol:

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've actually fainted after giving blood. My own fault for more or less leaping to my feet. I was fine after sitting and sipping orange juice for about 15 minutes. :slight_smile:

It certainly doesn't hurt, per se. There's that prick when the needle comes in, and it can feel a bit sore (like it's bruised) while the needle is in, and somewhat after. I occasionally feel a bit of "pulsing" at the spot. Not a painful pulsing - just the same sort of thing you feel when you take your pulse on your neck.

Lex

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your lucky I've got thick blood, it takes me 1/2 an hour to fill that stupid bag. So, I usually to try to catch a nap.:sleep:

11. Just Adam

i dont donate...its my blood >.> its precious... iknow im evil

then again i cant really so meh

12. TriBi

You shouldn't have any problem. I haven't given blood for quite some time (the whole 'legal' thing) but when I did my BP was 110 over 70 and I never had any issues. Just make sure you don't try to leap around like a lunatic straight afterward and you should be fine. :slight_smile:

13. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    blood: it's in you to give, unless you've had homosexual intercourse >.> in the past 3 years

14. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    ... it's disappointing that the tax payer's money is put towards the event, and then there's complaints that there aren't enough volunteers. the amount of people that went to the one for my college was only 15% of the usual.

are there any events like this where bi/gay/les blood is taken? cause then the questions would be definitely be more personal, but then there wouldn't be as many complaints about not enough volunteers

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't actually know as I've yet to do so. I plan to soon whenever the next blood clinic comes in. And before you people tell me I can't because I've had sex with another man, I've checked and I'm clean. So frankly, when I go in I'm just checking off "No" to that lovely question. As for those lovely lovely people who actually do the same thing but do it to infect people (I've heard of it happening) they usually get caught because they do the screening of the blood before it's used.

But yeah, I'm just hoping I'll be okay, last time I got a blood test I passed out, which actually was the first time that's happened as I'm usually okay. But I think I just like didn't get much sleep plus I had had to fast for those 12 hours, so as a result my body just didn't have anything to keep my brain alert so one minute I saw stars, the next minute the nurse and this nice man were keeping me held up until I'm like "oh...crap" lol. So when I do donate blood, I'm going to remind myself "GET SLEEP!" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Mitchell

I go for weekly blood work, never given blood at a drive, though.

Just sit calmly... and drink lots of water prior to going.

17. biisme

I gave blood once before and freaked out the whole time because I hate needles and even reading this thread is making my palms sweat and my fingers tingle.

18. Um, yeah. She should have told me that before she stuck the needle in my arm, because it HURT LIKE F*CK, and I didn't know it wasn't supposed to. The tech who did mine failed and gave me a hematoma. If I had known it wasn't supposed to hurt that much, I would have said something.

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's a hematoma?

20. KaraBulut

It can be a bit random. The sensory nerves are connected to the surface of the skin in a way that causes variation in the amount of pain you can feel. That's why one time you may get stuck and it hurts but then the next time you're stuck in the same general area, it may not hurt.

It's when blood leaks and accumulates under the skin. A bruise is a type of mild hematoma.