1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by NateDawg, Sep 23, 2009.

1. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay. I am overweight (about 50 pounds). I'm working on losing it so that I can go in and have a hip surgery to take away my pain I'm having. They have to go back in my hip and pull my hip completely apart, reshape the ball joint, then put it back together. It's already a risky surgery and me being overweight is making it worse. Therefore I have to lose the weight. I've been working on it for hte last month and such, but haven't had much of a result. I've lost about 12 pounds to date, but I really am not seeing a difference other than my clothes fitting loosely now. I'm not sure if it's because I have fat all over or what it is.

Anyhow, I will be joining a gym next week with a friend and we're going to hopefully be going nightly and working out. I'm wanting to lose enough where I can go buy NEW clothes and be able to fit in Tommy Hilfiger, Aeropostle, and those kinds of clothes before I move in January. It sucks right now. I have a HUGE problem with being around a bunch of people because of my weight in appearance and it's causing me to miss out.

I know I have to be the one to change myself, but I'm kind of glad I will have someone to help me out on the way now.

I just don't know what else I can do to help the pace. I know I need to worry about calories in, and calories out.

2. donnie5

RELAX!! its not magic twelve pounds in one month is VERY GOOD!!:thumbsup: just keep up the hard work and the pounds will keep coming off

3. Greggers

12 pounds in ONE MONTH?!?! That IS amazing. O_O

I lost about 15-20 pounds in about six months or so, and even that was a good pace.

Going to the gym nightly and watching what you eat is about all you can do. If your doing that and are committed, then you should be fine. Just dont go too overboard. Its not healthy to lose alot of weight fast.

Good luck (*hug*) and i really believe your going to pull through a winner because you do seemed very motivated.

4. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1-2 pounds per week is considered the normal maximum rate of safe weight loss. It didn't accumulate overnight, and it won't go away overnight.

Just keep working at it. :thumbsup:

5. RaeofLite

If you follow this you'll lose it. :slight_smile:

->eat healthy:
    -whole grains
    -veggies (snacks or with dinner)
    -fruits (snacks)
    -protein (lean chicken, fish and if you have to, lean beef)
    -drink green tea (it helps flush the system and gives you antioxidants)
    -drink water! (get that soda/juice away from you)
    -workout 40-60 or 90 mins a day in the gym or biking/running at a fast pace (if you have an mp3 player this can help)
    -eat every 3 or 4 hours (mini meals etc)
    -don't exercise or eat 3 hours before bed (gives it time to settle and rest)
    -sleep 8 hours a night (trust me, it helps lower stress levels and calms the eating urge)

-depending on how much you weigh, if you're eating healthy calories and truely working out 5-6 days a week like listed here, I'm guessing somewhere around 1500-2000 or possibly more calories a day would help.

Good luck!

6. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys.. Special thanks to RaeofLite! Great list!

I already drink water. I drink NOTHING but water. I usually Eat an apple and grapes every day. Banana's as well. I used to be a HEAVY tea drinker. However, Now I cannot stand tea, lol. I have never tried green tea. Will have to try that.

7. Jim1454

12lbs in a month IS significant weight loss. I've lost 20lbs over the past 2 months, and I think that's doing pretty good. Changing what I ate was key. As suggested above, I've increased my intake of protein and veggies, and dramatically lowered my intake of carbs and sugars - including fruits. And of course I've cut out sweets completely, as well as caffeine.

I'm also working out more. 5 or 6 days a week. One day weights and crunches, the next cardio of some kind (running, swimming, etc). I'm hoping to lose another 10lbs at least.

The real challenge will then be keeping it off. I'm hoping that this time I've made the changes (in my habits and my attitudes) that will have a lasting impact on my weight.

Keep at it! It's worth it!

8. mcrteenagers

I was reading a pamphlet here at work about Healthy Eating and Living Habits (bored much), and it had some really great ideas in it. I'll post agian tomorrow night with some of the stuff it had in it. I found it very interesting to say the least.

It had cool little tips to help you live more healthy and active.

Some examples of cool tips:

If you find yourself eating fast food or junky food, rate each bite you take from 1 to 10. When it's not 10 anymore, stop eating.

If you take the city bus, get off 1 or 2 stop ahead of your stop and walk the rest of the way.

The little book was just full of interesting little tidbits like that :slight_smile:

And 12 pounds in a month is a great accomplishment, keep it up. You have alot of support here :slight_smile:

9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Twelve pounds in one month is almost an unhealthy amount of weight to lose; I had something similar when I stopped my medication - I lost about 17 pounds in 2.5 weeks.

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like you're doing good so far.

Just cut out sugars, no soda...soda bad.
    If you drink coffee no sugar!

Eat foods that have low fats fish is great.

Eatting lots of veggies will help you burn calories.
    Carrots, celery, broccoli all take more calories to digest then are in the food itself, so you burn extra calories just from eatting them.

11. Stuie

Sorry to burst your bubble but no food requires more energy to metabolise than is contained within the food itself, it's an urban myth.
    But they're still good to eat if you're trying to lose weight.

My advice: Avoid low-fat products (ones that are lower fat versions of products), they often contain much more sugar and calories than the original food and fat isn't as bad as it is made out to be and unsaturated fats are actually fairly good for you. Fats do have a lot more energy, but it also takes longer to metabolise them and they fill you up more.

Anyway, good luck! You can do it! :slight_smile:

#11 Stuie, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  12. Emberstone

also, keep going at a steady pace, and continue even after you reach your goal. you dont have to work to lose more weight if you dont want to, but the body will just yo-yo back to being overweight because it hasnt acclimated to your new weight. which is why I was always really skinny, as I excercise, I also am training my body to keep what little weight I have put on on, so it is slow going, but in the long run, the body will get more used to the changes.

13. Gumtree

WRONG!

Ever heard of Ice? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Haha just kidding ^^ But seriously, weight control is my study major; if you want some more personal and directed tips, you're welcome to PM me.

14. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well. I'm happy for now. I've noticed my chest is starting to shrink! :slight_smile:

15. Prob worth noting that by eating 3 or 4 meals a day this is not normal sized meals. You want a max of about 2000 calories but its not just a matter of calories, you still need a balanced diet or you'll be malnourished. Go see a dietician, i'm surprised that your doctor hasn't sent you to one already if you're going to have this operation. as useful as forums and weight loss students are your health is probably worth professional advice, even if you do have to pay for it.

Failing that if you just need to lose weight quickly laxatives are the way to go.

16. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well. I've been working out (on a bowflex) and trying to walk at least three miles monday-friday. I went shopping this afternoon and am pleased with my results so far. I have went down two pant sizes, a shirt size, and underwear size. I couldn't be happier at this moment!

17. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well. So far I've went from 297 down to 214 in 11 months! :grin: Currently lost 42+ pounds in the last 5.

18. Breakdown

yay congrats on the weightloss

19. Notreallysure

My biggest advice would be stop drinking soft drinks. I was about 50 pounds over weight and simply by dieting, I lost all of the weight in about a 6 month time frame. I ate healthy and moderately. It was hard at first, but when you see the results you'll love it! But like I said, cut out the carbonated drinks. I drank pretty much water alone. It's not too bad actually! Since then, I've put some of the weight back on but by cutting back on the foods that you know are bad for you, you'll slim down quickly!