1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teeth Whitening

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Kimi, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Kimi

I'm thinking to get it done...But I'm not sure if it's necessary. I mean, it's not necessary to whiten my teeth but I'm wondering if there is any other way to whiten teeth.
    And if you ever had it done, how is it? Will it last long?? Is it worth the cost???

Or is it bother you if your teeth aren't white??

2. Jerr

Just get whitening stuff for when you brush... like some diff tooth paste or what not...

WARNING!!!! THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!!

My cousin uses all those teeth whitening strips and such... her teeth are white!... until she eats something or drinks wine... that stuff weakens your teeth... she chews the whitening gum as well... but I mean once she takes a sip of wine you SEE it and it is bad...

Just brush teeth with good toothpaste and you should be good... so what if they have a yellow tint... honestly... as long as they aren't like neon it isn't THAT bad....

3. CrimsonThunder

Brush, Floss, Mouthwash. Its what I do and my teeth are fairly white. Not actor white (their teeth are probably made white by something un-natural)

4. Kimi

My teeth getting bit yellow cuz I drink a lot of tea and coffe and cola. But it looks still fairy white but I just want it to be more less yellow so it'll look good.

So as long as I continue to brush, fross and mouthwash my teeth get whiten????

BTW, actor white teeth are kinda scary...I think they are plastic surgeried teeth.

5. CrimsonThunder

I like them. :frowning2:

I suggest you dont drink those... And maybe chew some Extra chewing gum.

And yeah they should get whiter. Not 100% sure though.

6. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i drink coke a bit but my family seen to have white teeth except dad because he smokes to much .

7. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine can be seen on my photos. They aren't perfect but they are OK.

8. Kat22

Here's what my roommates and I do and it makes a world of difference:

Brush no more than 3 times a day (but no less than twice). Brushing more than this can be hard on your teeth, and depending on the softness of brush and type of toothpaste you use, it can actually harm your teeth by wearing away at the enamel.

Second, floss once a day. If you do not floss on a regular basis, start flossing once every other day for a few weeks then move to every day, so as not to irritate your gums from the get-go.

Third, rinse with hydrogen peroxide once-twice a week for approx 20-30 sec after dry brushing (brushing with a dry toothbrush and no toothpaste) then after rinsing brush your teeth normally. Do no rinse with hydrogen peroxide more than this, however, because new studies are coming out with reports of people who rinse with it daily getting a disease called "Black Hairy Tongue." (A temporary bacterial [sometimes with yeast as well] disease caused by oxidizing agents such as hydrogen peroxide or whitening mouth washes among other things such as poor oral hygene and tobacco useage.)

Doing all these things, while it may be a little more time consuming, will be well worth it, and you should see your teeth become whiter after a couple of months.

9. Kimi

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I really appreciate your information(*hug*)

Just one question: I understand that dry brushing requires no toothpaste but is it ok to wet a toothbrush? Or I should brush with literally dry toothbrush??

10. Kat22

Wetting it before kind of defeats the purpose. There is naturally a toothpaste residue on your toothbrush, so if you wet it before hand it's kind of the same as regularly brushing your teeth. . .with very little toothpaste. Do what works for you though. I have a friend who can't stand the feeling of stiff bristles against her teeth, so she wets hers.

The purpose of dry brushing (I was told, don't quote me on this, my medical knowlege isn't very broad when it comes to oral hygene) is to get off the germs/bacteria/etc that can latch on to your toothbrush when wet and just be moved to a different part in your mouth. Dry brushing loosens them before the hydrogen peroxide can kill them. But again, I haven't done much research on that, so it very well could just be a theory or myth.

11. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    this is when i got my tooth fix a while ago they dont look very white
    [​IMG]

#11 jayden, Aug 5, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  12. Kimi

I think your teeth looks pretty fine to me, jayden!!
    My teeth looks pretty much same colour as yours so maybe we can both try to whiten them up by doing tips Kat22 told:thumbsup:

13. Kat22

I too, think your teeth look white, Jayden. Most celebs (as that is who the world, unfortunately compares itself too) really do not have that white of teeth. Some go in to professinoals to pay BIG BUCKS for a kind of surgical whitening, while some even have porcelain veneers. Look at the people around you, and realize that very few people have shockingly white teeth. A reason your teeth may not be as white as you like could be your age. You are 14, and I'm sure you just finished losing your baby teeth within the past 5 years. Try doing the things that I suggested in my earlier post. They are both healthy and will gradually whiten your teeth.

Good luck to all, and I can't wait to hear about your radiant smiles!!! :grin:

14. spydar

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    looking at all your ages I dont think you should bother? when you get to the thick end of 35 then start to worry (but believe me when you do hit that age white choppers will be a bit further down your list!)

15. Kat22

You are never too young to have good oral hygene! The fact that your teeth will become whiter is just a plus! :grin:

16. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    yeah i suppose they dont look to bad but i shouldnt drink to much coke. have you heard coke makes them go brown??? i surf a lot also so the salt water could be good for them also??? im 16 and half now so i think my baby teeth have gone. my 2 younger brothers have white teeth but my dad has no so good teeth

17. Kat22

I'm not sure it is so much the Coke as soda in general. The high sugar levels combined with the carbonation wear away at the enamel. I'm sure the dye in dark sodas, such as coke, pepsi, dr. pepper, etc., is more easily absorbed by your teeth because of this. Hmm. . .I never thought about salt water being good for your teeth. I will look into it at work today and get back to you. I do know that it is VERY good for your throat, however (Keep that in mind all you singers and aspiring singers!)

I also have never heard about the whiteness of teeth being hereditary. The placement, straightness, etc. of your teeth is, I know, but not sure about the color.--Another thing to ask the docs at work! lol My mother does not have white teeth at all, due to years of smoking and drinking coffee. I drink a lot of coffee too (but I don't smoke) so that's actually why I started looking into how to whiten them and came up with what I did.

I'll look into those things and try to post back tonight!
    Kat

18. Kat22

Alrighty, here is what I found out. Sorry it isn't much.

First, the whiteness of teeth IS heredetary, but they also said that as long as you have proper oral hygene, and take care of your teeth, bad tooth genes can be over come.

Second, salt water is great for your teeth, especially if you have a forming decay. It will help ease pain. There is also a salt water tooth abrasion kind of procedure, which helps clean and strengthen your teeth.

19. Kimi

Didn't know that!!!!! Maybe I'll get toothpaste that has salt in it?