1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lactose Intolerance and Celiac Disease

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Alabastair, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Alabastair

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I lurk waaay too much, but I am back as a poster! Yay!

I have just been officially diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance and Celiac Disease. Ugh. And its pretty severe too (like constantly throwing up and can not walk from the pain if I eat it). It took nearly 15 months to diagnose (its onset was caused by my acute intestinal infection). Double ugh. :frowning2:

I have been trying to eat all gluten-free products, but I am having trouble of getting gluten-free and lactose free products. I know I can take lactaid, but I prefer to eliminate the problem not the symptoms. Lately I have been eating tons of rice crackers, veggies, fruit, soups, and salads, but breakfast and lunch has been quite an issue for me. I can't bring bread to school because g-free bread is disgusting when its not toasted.

So does anyone know what kindof food I can eat? I eat super healthy (tons of veggies and fruits) but its harder now to find food I can eat and keep a balanced diet. Any ideas? Food that I can take for lunch at school would be super helpful.

Thanks!

2. SilhouetteDream

Oh my gosh how ironic, I too might have Celiac. (yup that was me in the post secret thread, no pasta for the Italian). My dad also has it. My symptoms are my skin though. I'm praying that it's really just eczema like I've been told for sixteen years and not this.

So yeah this would be helpful...all I eat at school is a sandwitch. What DOESNT have wheat in it?!
    Like...can I not have cupcakes!?
    Madness.
    Like I seriously might say screw it if I have it, and treat it like I have been (creams and whatnot for eczema) I most likely still have eczema, just this on top of it.
    So I too would appreciate suggestions.
    And hugs to you for posting this...thank you (*hug*)

3. Alabastair

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am 25 percent Italian and 75% Dutch. So no pasta and no cheese. :frowning2: I get reaaally sick if I eat any of it. Otherwise I would just go fuck it and eat it anyways. But I throw up, curl up in a ball of pain (and I have a really high pain tolerance), and in more extreme cases I leak blood anally. Like a full maxi pad every few hours of blood. Ewwww. So I dunno what to eat anymore. :frowning2:

I had no idea celiac was so common till I saw the threads on EC. Its really difficult, so kudos to everyone who managed through it so far. I hope it gets easier for me.

4. RENThead

i am both aswell. i just recently finished backpacking through europe. pain in the but when u only know a little of the language and then say no dairy, no wheat... (and italy, i couldnt eat pasta, or pizza, or icecream.)

u can eat rice instead of pasta's (pretty much anything from chinese foods-but not the fried stuff)
    u can get dairy free butter and cheeses (the butter is fine, i cant standthe taste of the cheese)

meats are fine as long as its not processed. no sausages or mince.
    im a meat n veg girl, so i do alot of steak and roasts. or mash potato (and add n get to make it fluffier instead of milk...

umm, thats all ican think off, ill take note next tine i do shopping...

#4 RENThead, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  5. guacj