1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you manage stress?!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by justinishere, Oct 7, 2009.

1. justinishere

Well lately I have been really stressed out with so many things going on in my life...

I have:
    - Clases - which I have 3 Advance Placement Classes and this is the first year I have taken any AP class at all
    - Grades - They are like a roller coaster going up and down a lot because the school year is still beginning
    - My Life being gay - the fact that I want a relationship and can't seem to find a guy who is at least gay and can be friends with
    - I run property management on 4 condo's that my uncle owns. He lives in Daly City, California which is about 3 hours from where I live so I do everything. (Finding new tenants, posting ads, making repairs, front yard maintenance)
    - Extra curricular activities - Key Club, Asian Club (it promotes asian heritage), Link Crew of America, Make-a-Wish Foundation, soon to be GSA

It just feels like I am doing too many things but they are all things I want to do. Its just been really stressing me out with everything. How do I manage it???

2. RaeofLite

You need to take some time for yourself. Working out and releasing stress phsyically can do a lot for endorphins and well being and give you focus and better sleep. If you can put in 30-60 mins a day most day of the week that can be enough. Slot that as "me time".

But you do have a bus schedule. Maybe you can talk to your uncle about cutting back a bit and sharing the workload more? It's not really fair to you since you're still pretty young and have some a really heavy class load (not to mention the other things).

3. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

Alcohol.

No, that's a lie. Don't pay attention to that.

I deal with the stress of college life by...taking some time just for me. Granted, that is hard to do no matter what age you are at, but if you try to do it...then it will ultimately help in the end. Just stop and take a moment to breathe.

When I was in high school (and living at home instead of the dorms I live in now), I'd use incense and candles to help relax me. Vegging in front of the television, or finding something to just...stop thinking helps, too. Meditation, though difficult for me, was always a great tactic too.

Though, if it does get too be too much, you might want to pick what you want to do most and cut back on your activities. You are only one person, after all. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

4. Greggers

"Me Time".

I watch soap operas. Thats my Me Time. I find watching clearly over-the-top Drama filled with half-siblings making out and bastard child's popping up all over the place helps. If you can find something to do that just drains away all the stress you will be set. The key is it has to be something that has little chance to *add* stress. Example: Some more extreme or competitive ports can relieve stress if you enjoy them, but fierce competition or even minor injuries can add stress. Think of something that is not very productive but you enjoy anyways, thats generally going to be something un-stressful :slight_smile:

Atleast thats how i manage my stress. There are different ways to do it. Another option might be to try and cut something out of your schedule if you have too much to deal with, or push something back. Some people even nap or just lay down and veg.

Also alot of people fall into drinking, smoking, drugs or other things that can be potentially harmful, so try and stay away from doing those when your stressed or it might turn to habit.

5. Gaetan

As others have said, find time for yourself. I, personally, play video games, read, or even write.

I read an article some time ago on how we as humans actually live in three places. Work or school, home, and a third place of our choice. If you're only living in the first two, you need to find and leave time for a third to be mentally healthy. And that third place can be as real or imagined as you want--for me video games fills that third slot.

6. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

It really will. My sister-in-law's brother recently ODed and died because he was using some kind of drug to handle his stress. It's just not good at all.

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Wow.. thats a lot of to do for a 16 year old. You need to have some relaxation.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As you get older, stress tends to take care of itself. You get used to being under it, and performing under deadlines and pressure, and even being extremely busy doesn't seem to really bother me much anymore.

Not much help for the here and now, but know that it gets easier.

Back in the day, it was exercise, escaping into a book, food, and masturbation. Not necessarily in that order.

Lex

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like most of the other people said, take some "me time"
    You have a lot on your plate for a 16 year old.

10. justinishere

I know I have a lot! Its on those certain days where it is literally killing me. However, in its own way I enjoy doing all of those things when and if I can proportion them correctly.

My "me time" normally comes after I finish all that however it normally happens later on at night like 9pm-11pm sometimes even later. I stay up late and read and that just seems to relax me for a bit. But then the next morning it is draining because I normally wake up at 7am

11. Greggers

It might be better to try and get to bed earlier rather than have some "me time" at night if it means your well rested for the morning. If you cant fit me time in anyplace other than when your sleeping then you might need to re-think not doing something to free up time...

12. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

7am?
    Your not getting enough sleep, which will cause more stress :/
    Maybe have a word with your uncle?

13. justinishere

Well lately everything is running smoothly. I have all tenants locked in for 1 year contracts. I only have to to the lawn maintenance every other week but its just school which I choose to do...

14. Goliath

Plan your time and see where you have free time to relax.

I recommend using Google calendar to document how you spend your time. It's always nice to look back and see everything you've done and it really helps you to stay well planned! :slight_smile:

15. Beachboi92

i deal with it badly...... most of the time xD but i find what is really helpful is having someone to talk to and hang out with like a best friend or just friends to spend time with and relax. And time for yourself is nice. Also working out and running is fun or maybe if you like to cook cook dinner here and there :slight_smile: hope i helped (*hug*)

16. justinishere

That is a good point. But after looking it all over it is going to look overwelming again! :lol:

17. RainInAfrica

Take up a MA. Great for releasing stress and good for your health in general :thumbsup:

18. epiphanies

Personally, I see clubs or those types of voluntary activity as "me time." If you are truly enjoying it, then it shouldn't be a stressful time. (What is that saying about find something you enjoy doing, and you won't work a day in your life?) I know you say that you enjoy doing all of these things and don't want to get rid of any of them, but if there is something extra-stressful compared to the rest (besides classes of course- you're stuck in those), maybe re-evaluate whether you should be doing it.

As far as stress management is concerned, I find taking a little bit of time out of my day to do something that doesn't involve thinking. Even if I had loads of homework to do, I will play about 30 minutes of ping pong, watch tv, listen to/play music, anything that keeps me from thinking. It is a little different in high school because you are for the first time really feeling stress. The good news is that high school eventually ends. The bad news is that you will find millions of other things to take up your time and make you busy.

19. justinishere

What's MA?

20. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Martial Arts

Take on Boxing =]