1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Working out = Breaking out?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GhostDog, Oct 20, 2009.

1. GhostDog

So, I've been working out almost every day now for a week and a half or so. Mostly cardio, with some pushups/situps/weight lifting added in. And I feel pretty fantastic, even after just a week and a half, so that's awesome.

But I am breaking out like a mofo. On my face, it's mostly the little pimples around my mouth, which really aren't a big deal (even though they're happening with irritating regularity now). But oh man, my back looks like it's been attacked by ants. I've had problems with acne back there before, anyway, but it was looking better before I started getting way sweaty every day. And now it's angry at me again! =( I shower almost immediately after I'm done working out, so I don't know what its deal is.

I have differin gel, which I can't actually use on my face (because it goes extra red and burns all the time), and I've been putting it on my back but I'm wondering if that isn't a bad product to be using if my face can't tolerate it. I'm wary of my dermatologist, because every time I go, she sends me away with a hella expensive prescription.

Has anyone else had this happen? Or is my skin just finding new and unique ways to annoy the hell outta me?

Also, I'm getting rough spots on the tops of my hands. This isn't the first time I've noticed that happening on my hands when I've worked out. Like, I'll be running, and I'll feel the tops of my hands burning, and I feel them later and it's like they're dry and cracked. I wasn't having problems with that before I started running daily. >:[

My skin! It sucks. Halp? =<

2. pianomike

well it sound like your body is cleansing itself, and you dieting along with the working out?

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah you sweat so your pores are pushing gunk to the surface.

When you do your sit up are you wearing a shirt? do you do them on the floor? if so use a towel.

4. GhostDog

Well, I'm making some small diet changes. Eating more fruits + veggies and less sugary drinks/snacks, and working on cutting portion sizes. I'm still avoiding red meat and pork (and fish - but that's mostly because I'm wary of mercury content). I'm not changing it too drastically, though, because I figure it'll be easier to stick to if it's like what I'm used to. Probably if I ate less bread, it'd be more effective, but I love bread.

Hmm. Maybe my pores will eventually run out of gunk? =P I've always had problems with blocked pores, though, it's redonkulous.

I wear some of my old cotton shirts from marching band when I do them, and I got a yoga mat so I don't have to do them on the hard tile. Someone suggested I get some of those athletic shirts with the fabric that's supposed to wick moisture away, and I might do that and see if it helps, but I woulda thought cotton would have been okay.

5. KaraBulut

Are you showering at the gym or did you change soaps recently?

6. GhostDog

I'm not actually going to a gym - my parents have a treadmill and I've been using that - so I shower at home. And no, I haven't changed soaps recently. =/ Still the same Softsoap body wash.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use that neutrogena body wash, it helped clear my skin up. I still get the occasional zit though. Like today!

8. CrimsonThunder

If you're working out you should really eat meat, if you don't eat healthy and properly when you work out you will become sick and frail.

And yeah, dont worry about the pimples, if you continue to work out they will eventually clear off.

9. GhostDog

Well, I do eat poultry. I will occasionally eat buffalo, which is leaner than beef (also more expensive -.-), but it's not a staple in my diet.

But I'm glad to know they'll go away eventually. I can't wear some of my favorite tops at the moment. >:[

10. shorty

Same thing happening to me. I've been working out when I go away to work (I work away from home) and breaking out in zits. Wasn't sure if it was the towels, food or what, but I have had more zits recently than during my teenage years.

11. Darkwing65

Drink more water. I don't know if that'll help, its just a good idea to stay hydrated. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. KaraBulut

The reason I asked about showering at the gym is that many of the cheaper soaps used in the gym showers have an emollient in them that can cause breakouts. Bar soap is also bad for clogging the pores.

Back and chest acne can be more challenging to clear up. Usually retinols (like Retin-A) work better than betahydroxy acids (BHA, salicylic aicd aka Differin). You can try the Differin, but I haven't seen it work very well. You may need to talk with your dermatologist about a round of antibiotics and Retin-A. Worst case, you might need a course of Accutane to clear it up if it doesn't get better.

13. katie

heya, i would suggest clensing your face ater working out...as opposed to just washing ypur face, use a decent toner too, to clean and close up your pores. and drink loads of water to keep your skin clear
    other than that...ride it out, theyll go, soon enough

EDIT: oh, and moisturise...use a light one tho...dont overload ur skin. i use Simple, but i dunno if thats available where u r, just find something really light

x

#13 katie, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009