1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improve Will Power

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jack2009, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am having a hard time with will power and food....

okay if there's food I will say no to it.... and in an hour I will go to it, and self talk to myself, "This won't hurt me, I'll start tomorrow". Sometimes I will just eat a ton more than I wanted, and feel like crap because I messed up.

And this been repeating since beginning of October.

#1 Jack2009, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. Zero Beat

:frowning2: Will power can be very overpowering, i have the same problem. Get the food, and put it somewhere out of site, dont put it in the usual place. If its food in say the fridge put food in front of it to try and hide it. I get my folks to hide some food(urgh pain at times) from me, or else ill just eat it, and wont stop. Or if you can, when you go to go eat it, try and do something else. Anything, if you must, lock yourself somewhere...
    I hope you can work it out.

3. x2x2x2x2y2

Same here. It's tough. Just remember why you dont wanna eat, and tell ur self that each time you Go for the food. Whatever the reason is don't let it slip your mind when you see the food. Also I would suggest getting someone who will help you. They can motivate you and make sure you don't eat to much.

4. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i hear ya. this aint been a good week for me. i really need to get back to doing more. my will power to eat good seems to have simply vanished and i cant be bothered exercising or anything either now.

5. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i don't exercise unless i feel the need too (but i do a lot of movement so i'm not worried about being lazy)

so i rely on dieting, which pretty much work for me up to early-mid October (i lost 30 lbs) but now I stagnated. Which is bad, but I have to get back on track since I need to lose another 30 lbs at minimum to be average

But I lost only 2 lbs so far for the past three weeks, which is crap.

---
    what i do eat though has kept me at bay so it's not like i'm eating tons, it's just a huge amount worth for a day's calories in a few hours; 3-4 pieces of chicken, junk on the side that i can find when looking in the fridge. It's healthy foods, but a calorie is a calorie in my book.

6. blankpaper

That sounds just like me! Procrastinators unite...tomarrow. I actaully keep a log and everyday I write how good I was And it gives me somthing in writing to either congradulate me or kick my butt about not eating right. I eat very very healthy: no soda, junk, fried or fast. So this helps and when I am getting really twitchy for food I make sure I have somthing low cal. and munchy around or I distract myself by going for walks, reading, or best of all exercising. all I can say is don't rush anything!! Gaining or losing. Don't beat yourself up, cheer yourself on on good days and find new ways to overcome mistakes you encounter. Good luck!

#6 blankpaper, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  7. ColdSnap

I'm sorry if this seems insensitive, but just don't eat it, how hard can it be? have a glass of water instead, and if you want it again later, have another glass, at least then by the end of the night you'll be too bloated to move and then you can just pee it all out and flush your system :slight_smile:

but seriously, I don't understand people's problems with will power, if you don't want to eat the food, don't eat the goddamn food :|

8. Jim1454

...says the slim guy.

Until you've walked a mile you my shoes, don't presume it's that easy.

People are built differently and they are raised differently. Some people turn to food as a coping mechanism. Some people are just allowed to develop some poor habits. Some people seem biologically wired to be more hungry.

However, it IS a decision that you make. Sometimes the decision to eat is based on faulty logic. What is key to me is to not allow myself to get too hungry. Plan in advance what kind of healthy snack you're going to have, and have it mid morning and mid afternoon. If you're standing at the fridge when you're hungry, you're likely to make a poor choice in terms of what to eat. At that point it's too late.

I've also had to accept that if I'm going to be a healthy weight, I simply can't eat desserts and I need to make healthy choices. But I don't have to figure out my entire life. I only have to worry about today. And one day at a time doesn't overwhelm me.

Just a couple of suggestions to those who are struggling.

9. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's not like that... eating one day at a time and failing on day 1.

It's fasting (starving) pass day 3, and on day 3 I break down to eat. And what I do eat is healthy foods in higher abundance (400-600 calories I think), than I attempt again. I lose weight, but so slowly it's not even noticeable like I'm on a decent diet.

I can avoid foods easily it's just hunger pangs on day 3-10, then it gets easier pass day 10. Which I attempted already, and succeed, I just need to repeat.

Losing a lb a week is better than gaining I guess.

10. Camman3

You are not supposed to starve your body... you're allowed to eat a small bit of chocolate each day, as long as you also eat plenty of other foods and all in balance. Combine correct eating habits (NB: NOT dieting) with some exercise every day and you have the formula to lose weight healthily (even if it's not rapid - that would be unhealthy).

Crash dieting (starving your body) triggers a survival system that orders your body to lower it's metabolism and store fats in larger quantities (your body realises there is not enough energy (food) entering the body and so it adapts to an environment where less energy is available). This is obviously not what you want...

At least 30 minutes of cardio each day (jogging, running, swimming, cycling, playing recreational sports) with a balanced diet - google "food pyramid" for a good example - is the healthiest way to a healthy life and body.

If you struggle with cravings now, don't worry: once you start eating correctly and cut out more sugars, your body will learn to stop "relying" on the sugar and you will also feel full with more nutritious food in your system. I have a terribly sweeth tooth, but after learning correct eating habits I managed to overcome the cravings. Nowadays when I'm hungry I just eat fruit and yoghurt, some cereal, bread with healthy toppings, or even just fill up on energy bars (provided that I will be exercising later that day).

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it's like my stomach feels empty after time, and yet when I'm at a sit down dinner with the family I can maybe eat half of it, or even only a quarter. And YET less than 30 minutes after I leave the table, I dump my food and have like 3 bowls of cereal or several crackers or whatever. It's like with snacks I can't control it (even if healthy like Honey Nut Cheerios), but actual food unless it's my fave (Chicken and Mashed Potatoes, Lasagna, or a Christmas/Holiday dinner as in Turkey and stuffing) I rarely can finish it. I think it's just my will power...and I hate I have such a small power...