1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood donations?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by konfused612, Oct 26, 2009.

1. konfused612

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm curious there are sexual active gay men out there who donate blood.

When I've donated blood they always ask "have you ever had sexual contact with a man?" My understanding is that if you ever answer yes to that question, you will no longer be allowed to donate blood. Currently, since making-out does not constitute sexual contact, I have not had sexual contact with another man (so I haven't had any issue donating blood). Yet I'm also hopeful that'll change someday. When it does, I'm not sure what I'll do in terms of blood donations. On some level I feel that it's a bit discriminatory. A doctor once told me that straight couples having anal sex and gay men having anal sex run the same risk of contracting HIV (though I have not verified that). On another level I understand the blood banks want to be as safe as possible and since the HIV tests are never full proof (and with the history of HIV and the gay community) I understand their reasons for being cautious.

So I'm wondering what other people do (or at least what they think we ought to do). This hasn't become an issue I've had to contemplate, but odds are it will someday.

2. Steam Giant

If you answer yes to that question, it's my understanding that you'll never again be allowed to donate blood (correct me if I'm wrong, please). It is discriminatory, and again, as far as I know (and again, correct me if I'm wrong), what you say is correct - both gay and straight couples run the same risk when it comes to anal sex.

Most people I've heard of simply lie on that question.

3. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I am conflicted because I really don't want to lie, but I also don't want to be banned from giving blood forever. I know for a fact that I don't have HIV or any other STD, but that doesn't matter. I guess I will just wait and hope that they change the regulations eventually... it does make me kind of sad though.

4. s5m1

I no longer give blood. When the rules change, I will again donate.

5. Jim1454

I hope that isn't the case! Why on earth would you lie about that?!?

There is already a thread on this somewhere.

I don't see it as discriminatory. This is a voluntary act, and there are rules in place with the intent of protecting those that would receive the blood products. Were the rules put in place without full knowledge of how HIV is spread or how prevalent it is in the gay community? I'm not sure. Are the rules likely out dated now based on the population in North America who is at risk for HIV? Probably.

But does that justify lying about something like that? I don't think so. There are other ways to make a statement or change policy - and that isn't one of them. If you're willing to lie about that in the questionaire, what else are you OK lying about? Being an intervenes drug user? Having been paid for sex? Which question is it OK to lie about and which one isn't it OK?

6. Shevanel

I agree, and actually there are MANY threads on this xD

7. Steam Giant

Hi Jim!

Ah, that's a very good point I hadn't considered. I'm actually barred from giving blood for answering "yes" to a different question, where I was born. Granted, at the time I didn't know that this specific question would bar me, but had I known, would I have answered the same way? Most definitely. I don't know the reasoning behind it, but I do trust their process for selecting who's a safe doner and who isn't.

My opinion on this question is largely shaped by never having had the opportunity to answer it, and from hearing others, in their outrage over discrimination, lie about it. Now that you mention it, and I see it in the light of my answer about my national origin, I feel I agree with you.

8. Grof142007

I given blood twice and I lied both times but the first time i i ever wanted to give blood i said yes but then explain to the Nurse she said oh that fine but the computer wont allow it so i left Since reading this thread Im going to answer yes next time(i dont think they banned u just ask u to leave) and i will be remove my Organ donor on my Driver License hell if i can donate i shouldnt be donating my organs either

9. AtomicCafe

I can't add much on the side of blood donation, but -- as a person who has received transfusions after an accident -- it makes me so incredibly sad to see people withdrawing from blood donations and organ donations out of spite, even with the discrimination involved....

10. Ralivar

Like Steam Giant I am barred from giving blood because of where I was born, in my case England. However if it was possible for me to give blood I don't think I would lie on any of the questions. As has been mentioned there are reasons why these questions are asked, and although I may not agree with the reasoning I still don't think I could lie about it.

11. Corny

Corny Guest

I always wait until I see those ads like "we really need blood, please donate" or have one of those leaflets in the mail. I once even experienced people going through the city here and actively encouraging people to donate because apparently the situation was that desperate.
    I go with them, or to the advertised donation center, hand them that leaflet or tell them how I go there, tell them I am first time donor yada yada that the right thing to to, I am so glad to help out yada .. and then truthfully answer that question.
    "What .. you don't want my blood? Well I guess then you really don't need that blood that much as you say .. liars." Ah .. ok .. maybe not that rude, but basically that.
    So many people have apologized and assured me that they think this is stupid, too etc .. pp. But nobody changes a thing *shrug*

12. littledinosaurs

Blood Donation Threads : 5
    Jesus: 1
    (I think, I've kinda lost count at this point)

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WHOA WHOA WHOA Jim, I think you seriously need to think about this here. This is a different matter between lying about something bad like being an IV user, compared to knowing you are negative and have tested and everything and yet still having to be honest and be banned forever despite the fact you are completely healthy and have no trace of anything in your body. It's a matter that we're being banned from donating when we're doing nothing wrong and yet it's us who are being blamed.

So Jim, ask yourself, what's more important, fighting for your right to donate by lying on the form, when you KNOW you are healthy; or you can deny your right to donate and tell the truth on a form that is well outdated.

14. KaraBulut

I think you will see this policy change in the next couple of years. It should go to a more behavior-based question that won't discrimate against gay men.

15. Jim1454

First off - donating blood is not a right. Let's be clear. You have a right to vote. You don't have a right to force someone or some organization to use your blood - even if it's safe.

You missed my point. I don't disagree that the policy is wrong. But I don't think you move the cause forward by being dishonest. Because if you're dishonest about that, who says you're being honest about other things on the form? Why is it OK to lie about one thing and not the other.

In fact I would contend that lying on the form is the most cowardly and passive way of going about this. If you're passionate about this issue, then answer the question honestly and make a statement by NOT donating your much needed and healthy blood. Write a letter to the president of the origanization that sets the rules. Volunteer to sit on an advisory board or give testimonay at some kind of review hearing on the topic. Start a letter writing campaign. Make it an issue in the next federal election where ever you live.

But don't lie. Because that sends the message that gays are HIV carriers AND liers. And the fact of the matter is we aren't.

16. fallendream

i dont think the policy is wrong.
    i dont think the questionarre is wrong.

if the medical PROFESSIONALS think its unsafe for patients to be given this blood who are we to say there wrong?

would you let a straight person tell you how to be gay? then dont tell the professionals how to do their thing, in my eyes its ow it should be.

if they were as dumb as you all seem to think would they really be the proffessionals?

17. Camman3

@fallendream: I have to have a polite disagreement with you. People, no matter how "professional" can still make mistakes. Many scientists create hypotheses and later prove them wrong. Facts change; opinions change.

As for the blood donations:

The main argument is that gay men's blood is subject to being more dangerous or less virus-resistant (almost as if our blood succumbs to disease more easily, if I can put it like that).

That's ridiculous, especially since homosexuals can't reproduce with each other, so there is no "weak" gene or anything that can be strenghtened through genetic-traits passed down generations. There is no way that homosexuals can have a "weaker" type of blood.

There is an insurance company called "First for women" that ONLY insures women, based on the premises (or should I say stereotypes) that women are more cautious and level-headed than men are. I know some very responsible, kind men; and one or two very irresponsible, rude, downright stupid women.

The stereotype that the gay community is more promiscuous than the "straight" community because of "fewer restrictions" can't be used as an argument because there are many very-sexually-active heterosexuals, too. Also, while I'm not entirely sure how different anal sex and sexual intercourse are with regards to how easy it is to contract STDs and viruses, I don't think the risk is too different. Straight couples having sexual intercourse and anyone having anal sex are at the same risk for infection.

Given all that I've posted above... I don't see how they can bar anyone (gay or straight) from donating blood (because it could save someone's life) because they engage in anal sex or sexually with the same gender.

18. Dr Acula

Same - I want to give blood because its a simple way of helping someone who needs it. However, I don't really understand the need for the discrimination - all blood donations are tested for HIV (and hepatitis I think) irrespective of whether they come from straight or gay people. I think getting the gay community donating would probably be good, at least it would ensure regular HIV status tests.

19. Brad

I wouldn't donate blood as i hate needles. However i would lie about it too. I would rather lie about it and donate blood that could save someones life as apposed to telling the truth and being banned from donating blood simply because i would rather have sexual relations with a male than a female. If the question was at all relevant i would have no problem telling them truth.

Being asked if you have ever paid for sex or been an intervenes drug user is relevant as it leaves you at a much higher chance of having an std. If the question was have/do you ever had/have unprotected sex with another man then it would be relevant. But no more so than asking if you had ever had unprotected sex with a female.

That is a rather bad analogy. Being gay and feeling discriminated against is not the opposite of being a medical professional.

Remember it was also medical professionals that also first labeled AIDS as GRID (Gay-related immune deficiency). Back when it was believed that only gay people could get it. So it does show that they can be wrong.

I am sure there would be thousands upon thousands of medical professionals willing to say that a gay man who practices safe sex is no more likely to spread an std than a straight man who practices safe sex.

In the case of this matter it is simply something that is old and outdated and needs to be updated in the very near future.

#19 Brad, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  20. Jim1454

I agree with you. But how does lying move the issue forward? It doesn't. You step back into the closet when you go to a blood donor clinic. And I don't think that really helps anyone.