1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acutin

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Justindee13, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Justindee13

I have strated this stuff for my acne. Now my mom won't shut up abou. The depression symptoms ,which she already ran me through a cilousler and I was cleared as ok. But still my mom and sister are still worried. Today is my forst day on it and I feel tired and all I want to do is go Home and sleep( I'm at school) so anyone any edvicCe or the sleep and tiredness.

P.s. Srry on my itouch spelling sucks:sleep:

2. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Been on it (something like it) and it sucks :frowning2: Just have to rough it really.

#2 Jiggles, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  3. GhostDog

Ugh. Accutane.

I was on it. It made me sick all the time, tired, depressed, angry, moody, and I felt terrible. And no matter how many anti-depressants they put me on, those symptoms didn't go away until I was off it. Granted, I had tried literally every other acne medication on the market and it was the only thing that made my cystic acne go away, so it's useful, but its side effects are awful.

Only advice I can offer is if you feel unreasonably sad or angry, just realize it's probably the medicine and try not to let it affect you so much. =/ Which can be hard.

The only thing that got me through it was imagining me with clear skin (which wasn't something that I had seen for a single day since 6th grade, until I was off the medicine my senior year of high scool). I'm sorry! It sucks and in my experience there's really not much you can do about it.

4. SolitaryKnight

I have been on Accutane a couple of times. I never had any really bad side effects like the rest of you. I felt fine, I was never depressed or overly tired. I thought it worked wonders for me, my acne cleared up immensely and now I just get little spots sometimes on my neck. I used to have acne all down my back and it completely destroyed any self-esteem I had, I could never go swimming or anything.

I've been on a couple other acne medications, and I remember only one of them had an adverse side effect, made me puke my guts out 1 hour after I took it.

Anyway, if the accutane is really bothering you, let you physician know and they determine if its serious enough to take you off of it.

5. GhostDog

Well, to be fair, I don't know if it was the accutane that gave me such crazy moodiness, or if it was the birth control pill I also had to take (Yasmin, which none of my female friends that I've spoken to had good experiences with). Accutane did depress my immune system and make me sick a lot, but between the two, I'm not sure which was more responsible for my mood swings. All I know is that for a good year or so there, I was very sickly and kinda crazy.

Being that the OP is a dude, at least that's one aspect of it that he'll never have to worry about, at least! =P

6. KaraBulut

It's a little early for depression if you just started on Accutane. It is well into the first month that any mood symptoms occur. The confusing thing for a 15 year old on Accutane is that it's hard to tell whether mood changes are the Accutane or just the fact that you're 15.

The side effects that most people complain about are the peeling, chapped lips and nosebleeds. Being on Accutane in the winter is particularly miserable because the dry air makes the dry skin even worse.

Give it a chance, though. The stuff is not much fun but it does work and it changes your skin permanently for the better.

7. Justindee13

ok im not depressed yet or will i get it, idk. As far as the first day goes im really REALLY tired. so yeah

8. frostreaver

I've just finished my 1st month.

I don't feel any different. No tiredness or depression. All I got was dry skin and lips and so far 1 nosebleed while sleeping...

Even my initial outbreak wasn't bad. The side effects vary from each person though.

9. KaraBulut

Oh, one more thing about Accutane. Don't get out in the sun. You will get a painful sunburn that you will remember for a very long time.

10. Justindee13

Haha I have heard that from everyone. I try not to. thanks again:icon_bigg

11. thespanishheart

I had that for a few months. Only new side effect was chapped lips. The rest was fine. I don't think there are any studies out that point the finger at accutane when something weird happens. Like some kid crashed a plane and had that stuff in his system. Everyone starts pointing the finger but was it really that? There's no conclusive evidence.

Your mom is doing the mom thing and worrying. It's unstoppable haha

12. KaraBulut

There was some controversy a few years ago about whether Accutane caused depression and in some cases, suicidal thoughts. That controversy has largely been settled and the manufacturer (Roche) was required to include warnings on the prescriber's information documentation. This was added in the US because the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) received so many adverse reaction reports. Roche even publishes a patient information booklet called "Recognizing Psychiatric Disorders in Adolescents and Young Adults: A Guide for Prescribers of Accutane (isotretinoin)"

The prescriber's information contains the following paragraph:

A couple of months ago, Roche announced that they would stop selling Accutane.

13. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Despite all the side effects I think its the best one out there. I just about tried all methods to get rid of my acne the last resort was to put me on to Accutane. Rather suffer on another year on it with the monthly blood tests than the acne again.

14. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Be very careful with this medication. If you start to have suicidal thoughts, get to the E.R. immediately or contact your doctor.