1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

losing weight lol

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by WaterGuy121, Oct 30, 2009.

1. WaterGuy121

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ok, so ive never been super fat, but recently i gained some weight :icon_sad:

so, ive been trying to lose it

2 weeks ago, i went on my treadmill and was having fun exercising, and to my sadness while i was listenin to my ipod, i stopped paying attention and fell off the treadmill :eek:

my arm hurt so bad after that, and it still hurts a little

so now, since i guess i cant do that anymore (at least not safely) that i wont eat as much

and i think im doing it the WRONG way

all i ate at school for lunch today was a juice box and some pringles potato chips :icon_sad:

but, i had two cups of hot chocolate later when we went outside to have fun lol

so, how should i lose weight? without hurting myself (like the treadmill) or starving to death?

2. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

1. pay attention when you're on the treadmill.
    2. try the elliptical, impossible to fall off from.
    3. Try to take 3000+ steps in a day. Take the long way to class. (Assuming you get bussed to school) Get off a stop early with some friends and walkm home.
    4. Ask your friends for support or just go walking with them and make it a routine.

3. Jim1454

You lose weight by taking in fewer calories than you burn in a day. Sounds simple, right?

You have to watch what you eat too.

Juice box - full of sugar
    Chips - purely carbs and fat
    Hot chocolate - more sugar

These are NOT the kinds of things you should be eating if you're trying to lose weight. You should be eating protein and vegetables and high fibre stuff.

Exercise is important too. And you shouldn't need to use a treadmill. There isn't anything much more boring (in my opinion) than a treadmill - and if it's boring you're not likely to keep it up. Instead, go for walks (or a bit of a run) outside. Go to the pool for a swim. (There will be other naked guys there! Bonus! :icon_wink) Check out the internet for suggested exercises you can do at home (different kinds of sit ups and push ups, etc.).

And remember that it takes a LONG time to see a difference in your appearance. Weeks - not days. So be patient.

4. WaterGuy121

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yeah the treadmill is boring, thats why i had my ipod to listen to some music, which made it fun, but i forgot what i was doing and after being on the treadmill almost an hour, i was super tired and...fell off

if i go on it again, im gonna be careful though

yeah and i guess i didnt eat such good stuff :icon_sad:

5. Stuie

Wait, you're 13. I remember when I was 13, I was gigantic. I weighed about the same if not more than I do now. You've still got a long way left through puberty which tends to do strange things with some people's weight. Really, I haven't changed my exercise habits much, maybe a bit more walking, but my appetite has changed dramatically, which isn't something I can really control. I could eat three serves of dinner then, now I'm pretty full after one.

At 13, if you don't want to be getting fat, just try keeping fit rather than actively trying to lose weight. Also try to eat healthier, I think we were having a hell of a lot of soft drink and really junky take-away when I was putting on all that weight, so if you drink soft drink, try not to drink it more than once a week or take a diet option and avoid take-away as much as you can unless it's particularly dire, but realistically at 13, you're not going to have a huge amount of control over your diet, so discuss with your parents about it. If it's really worrying you, I'm sure they'll be happy to help. :slight_smile:

6. Fargo

Fargo Guest

Generally baby fat will go away on its own, especially with the help of school activities if you have to do PE sort of thing. So don't worry too much about it.

7. WaterGuy121

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh i wish it was baby fat lol, cuz then it would've went away on its own

so, here's a lil more info lol

i used to weigh like 110 lbs. and now sorta embarassing but i weigh almost like 155 lbs.

oh and its not cuz i ate a ton of food, i barely used to eat
    (its a really complicated situation, and i dont have room to fit the details here lol)

thnx for all the advice :slight_smile:

oh and i CANNOT do gym, again too complicated to explain, but im exempt from gym, NO GYM lol, (good cuz i hate it)

8. Stuie

Really important question relating to your weight: How tall are you?

9. WaterGuy121

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    um last time i checked (a few months ago)
    i was like 5 foot 6

im so short :icon_sad:

10. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I lost something like half a stone just cutting out crap from my diet. I.E. No snacking between meals and such. Was quiet pleases as I didn't expect to have that much of an effect. Now my trousers fall off me. >_< Also a common miss conception that its just fatty foods that make you fat. Noo EVERYTHING has calories in it. It's just energy really. Balanced diet. Normally the simplest things make the big differences.

11. Lychee

I've recently started trying to lose weight, and it's working really well for me so far. So this is what I have been doing, and hopefully it'll work for you too:
    I found this website where I input everything I eat and it calculates the amount of calories/fat/carbs/protein/whatever else in everything I eat. It gives me a daily calorie requirement based on my age, weight, height, exercise level and whether I want to gain weight or lose weight and I try really hard to stick to it. At first it was ridiculously hard because I thought I wouldn't be able to eat junk food ever again, but then I realised how to cut down the calories without cutting down on my favourite foods. Like I realised that by switching my daily sandwich at school to a big salad I save so many calories, and I can eat as much salad as I need to get full, provided that the dressing isn't too fattening (I use a mixture of balsamic vinegar with garlic and olive oil.)
    I also exercise by going for a 45 minute walk every day as well as exercising on my exercise bike/ab swing for 30 mins every day.
    Like Jim says the key to losing weight is burning more calories than you eat. And yeah, don't expect to see you dropping like 10 kilos within a week. Even if you did manage to do this, there is no way that you could keep it off.

12. shorty

HAH! i'm 5'4" and in my thirties! Bloody hell, when thirteen year olds are taller than you, then you can start to complain about being short! :lol:

13. Lychee

I'm 5'1" and I stopped growing years ago. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

from one teenager concerned with their weight to another,

eating potato chips is a sure fire way of shitting yourself about losing weight. when you want to lose weight, its not simply about starving yourself, you have to eat right. you can eat 3 square meals a day if your eating healthy. that combined with exercise (like three times a week works) is actually the most simple way to lose weight that i'm aware of. and, its not starving yourself. or if you think you need sugar in the mornings because you cant stay awake, try green tea. i steep it for a while and it can keep me up all day. (just don't drink it at night. i stayed up for 24 hours straight. BIGGGGG mistake)

also, sports are a great way to get your exercise in. i lost about 5 lbs during the season despite crappy eating habits and essentially bingeing on carbs before each game. (pasta parties ftw! :grin: ) plus sports are fun!!

15. WaterGuy121

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yeah i guess the potato chips weren't such a good idea :icon_sad:
    thnx for the advice though

16. Camman3

You're only 13 years old. Your metabolism is about to skyrocket (assuming it hasn't already) and with a normal diet and daily exercise, you will be fine.

If you really think you still need help, measure your BMI, weight and tell us. Also post what type of exercise you do in a week and tell us how long you do it for - you'll be able to get much more accurate answers for the type of things you should be doing to lose weight.

17. shorty

I'm not big on the whole BMI thing. Its terribly innacurate depending on body type. When I was in my early twenties and quite trim and muscular, but short and a bit broad shouldered, i was classed as overweight with hardly any fat at all. The doctors would work out my BMI and then look at me and just write it off, because its a silly way to clasify people in regard to weight/shape.

18. WaterGuy121

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hmmmm, ok so my BMI is around 25, forgot exactly what it was lol. so doesnt that mean a little overweight?

i just do treadmill right now, but im thinking about lifting weights maybe, it depends on how i feel tho

19. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I never use BMI as an indicator for anything tbh. Doesn't take anything into account apart from height and weight. Just east right and walk really. Theres no need to go all out too loose some weight. Plus your body will use fat to grow seeing as you are 13.

20. Camman3

I only wanted to know BMI because if he's over 24 then I know it's a problem. Otherwise he'd be fine.

Lifting weights will increase muscle size, mass, and strength - it will not help you lose weight, unless you do weight lifting for a few months and THEN do cardio workouts, because the more muscle you have, the faster you burn fat, but weight lifting is not necessary at 13... really and truly. Just eat healthily and exercise daily (running, jogging, swimming, cycling). At least 30 minutes. You may want to google "food pyramid" and get an idea of a balanced diet.

Alos, if you want to be very technical, you need to make sure your calories intake daily is LESS than your calorie consumption. You can use this website to calculate energy burning everyday. Use a diary and record your calorie intake for everything you eat in a week and just edit your diet from a logical point of view after one week. Sit down with your parents and ask for their help - the products they buy can affect your health.

Good luck =)