1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Counselors

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MLCarr, Nov 2, 2009.

1. MLCarr

Ok, I go to a Christian University and I am about to go to see a Counselor. Like psychologist counselor.

I have a lot of problems and I'm not sure what the legal privacy policy is, but my university CANNOT find out that I am gay. Anyone know?

What the website and paperwork says is that they disclose only when:
    • If referred by someone else, we will confirm attendance at your first session for the referral source. No further information will be provided to them without your written permission.
    • Information released to other professionals involved in treatment. Most commonly this would be to other members of the counseling staff at BUCC, our psychiatric consultant (if involved in your treatment), or a Baylor Student Heath Center physician (if assisting in managing your treatment).
    • If you are under 18 years of age, your parents or legal guardian(s) may request access to your records and may authorize their release to other parties.
    • If you are determined to be in imminent danger of harming yourself or someone else.
    • If you disclose abuse or neglect of children, the elderly, or disabled persons.
    • If you disclose sexual misconduct by a therapist.
    • To qualified personnel for certain kinds of program audits or evaluations.
    • To individuals, corporations, or governmental agencies involved in paying or collecting fees for services. This includes insurance companies.
    • Where otherwise legally required.

So I think I'm covered...

Help?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That looks like a pretty standard confidentiality statement. If the person you are seeing is a licensed counselor or therapist, then s/he legally *cannot* disclose anything you've told him or her, except for the above exclusions. Violation can cause license revocation.

To be double, triple sure, I would clarify that nothing is disclosed other than what's on the form, that no one has access to any records of your treatment, and that University officials cannot access the records.

I would suggest asking at the first session what the theoretical orientation of the counselor is, and what role the Christian underpinnings of the school takes in the approach to counseling. Many schools with a Christian background nevertheless have competent therapists and counselors who do not bring their Christian beliefs into the counseling session.

However, if the therapists are Christian-oriented in their counseling, don't expect any useful help on gay-lesbian issues. They will probably tell you that Jesus can heal your sexuality, that the only solution is celibacy or something like that. The Christian approach to counseling lesbians and gays is worse than useless and often creates further depression.

#2 Chip, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  3. KaraBulut

Question: Is this counselor affiliated or employed by BU?

Usually you will be asked to sign three documents.
    1. HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices (NPP) - this specifies who can have access to your health information (i.e. your insurance company, other healthcare professionals who are working on your case, etc). This is the most important document since it specifies who they can provide information to and it is standardized at the FEDERAL level not the state level.
    2. Healthcare Proxy - if there is someone with whom your counselor has your permission to discussion your care (e.g. your parents), you would list them on this document.
    3. Authorization to Release Information (ROI) - if you are filing this under your health insurance, this gives the healthcare provider permission to release your records to the insurance company. Be very careful in signing this document since it's a blanket release that allows the insurance company to get a copy of your chart.

4. MLCarr

So apparently they have 'crisis' appointments and that's what I got. I told the woman what was going on (fact wise, not emotion wise) and all she said was that there was a waiting list that would take about 9 days and that I was doing the best that I could already so she didn't even recommend anything to help. *facepalm*

I'm about to have another panic attack just because of the fact that I can't do anything. I can't even make myself get out of bed to go to class anymore, let alone do homework and pass my classes, or do anything I need to do for that matter.

5. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm more than a little surprised she didn't offer you some cognitive approaches to help you cope. Not knowing the details of what you're experiencing, I can't offer a lot of specific help, but if the main issue is anxiety, sometimes a good first step is to just stop whatever you're doing, take a few deep breaths, think of a place and situation where you have felt completely safe, comfortable, and relaxed, and close your eyes and envision yourself in that space. For most people, doing that exercise can be very helpful in reducing the anxiety and helping you regain focus.

If, in addition to panic issues, you are also having issues with depression or lack of motivation, that's a little more difficult issue. Sometimes just breaking off what you have to do in small tasks makes it seem less overwhelming, and you can "nip away" at the things you have to get done. If you're having trouble getting motivated, you can try saying to yourself "I'll just go to the first class, and stay only a few minutes if I don't like it" and then, at the class, you can just encourage yourself to stay a few more minutes until you're through that class, and move on to the next one in the same way. You can also look forward and imagine what it will be like when you are out of school and graduated, and remind yourself that reaching that goal is worthwhile, and taking the steps of going to class and doing your work is helping you move toward that goal.

But honestly I think working with a counselor at the school's counseling center is going to be your best bet, and 9 days really isn't that bad to wait, particularly if you can help yourself to get at least some motivation in the meantime.

6. MLCarr

I'm trying...I really am. My mom has been helping me a lot...even though she doesn't know all the details. I have had depressions for years, and the panic attacks are being caused by my thyroid medication being too high (i'm hypothyroid) so it's just complicated. I was really upset when she didn't help me, but at the same time...I still need whatever help I can get. I'll just wait. It's not like i'm in danger of killing myself or something like that, I'm just having problems with life in general...

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I apologise in advance that im not going to be any help but I just thought I would stop by and offer some (*hug*)s they arent much but maybe they can help a bit and at least know I hope you get the help you need soon. (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

8. MLCarr

Thanks silverhalo (*hug*)

9. guacj

In the U.S. any type of cpunselor or therapist has what is called privelidged communications, which is also known as doctor patient confidentiality. They cannot legally disclose anything you tell them to anyone. Unless you permit them to. If they do you have a right to file a lawsuit under breach of confidentiality, they can have their license revoked, and can be fined by the American Pschological Association. So in short they wont tell.

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That isn't completely true. If you've read the entire thread, KB and I (and the OP) each pointed out issues relating to exceptions to patient confidentiality. And in counseling centers operated by schools or colleges, one needs to ensure that the confidentiality is intact; some religious institutions have you sign what amounts to a blanket waiver of privacy that allows administration officials access to materials that would otherwise be confidential.

Also, as far as I know, APA does not fine anyone for confidentiality breaches; I don't think they have any jurisdiction to do so.

As KB said above, the most important thing is to read the disclosure notices you're given, and, I'll add, to directly ask the therapist specifically about whether school officials or clinical supervisory staff are allowed access to psychological files maintained on students in therapy.