1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toes

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Choucho, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Choucho

Okay, I feel kind of stupid for asking about this. >.< But, I'm really bad with remembering to clip my nails, especially my toenails. Because of this, the nails on the second toe of each toe have become a problem. >.< They've grown down into the skin, and created a kind of bubble of nail, so I can get the clippers near them to fix the problem. The nails also seems sort of swollen at the top, and my nails have some yellow discoloration. I have no idea what to do about any of it. It doesn't cause me any great pain or anything, I just assume it's not healthy to have a nail growing into your toe. >.<

2. downboyup

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    woah. u gonna have to get that checked. dont leave it. i think it is called a 'podiatrist' - a foot doctor. ingrown toenail can get infected as the nail continues to push under the skin.

unique, but not healthy.

3. careandrespect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with downboyup. Seeking some form of professional advice is the best thing to do. By doing this the doctor can certainly fix it for you.

careandrespect

4. Choucho

Well, if you think I should get it looked at, I'll ask my mom to make an appointment for me. >.< I just didn't want to call a doctor if it wasn't really necessary. But... yeah.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes, it's necessary. Ingrown toenails are very painful. It's better to get it taken care of now before they start to hurt. After you get it taken care of, then you need to make the effort to take care of them. Pedicures are sooooo nice!

6. Choucho

Yes, I definitely don't have any desire to go through this again. A couple of my friends were in a hairstyling/cosmetics type class last year, maybe I can get one of them to help me keep them all nice and not digging into my skin. >.<

7. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I had an ingrown toenail once. It hurt like crazy. In gym we where playing soccer and I would kick the ball and my toe would bleed. It hurt bad. But not as bad as the treatment. My first docter did not know what he was doing so he injected my with novacane, poorly which hurt like crazy cuz he did it wrong. Then he clipped off the hail which was under the skin. The novacane did not do shit cuz it was put in wrong so that hurt even more. That was one of the most painful days in my life. Then it came back cuz the doc was an idiot and did not clip it right. My second time I saw a real podiatrist and he took care of it and it barely hurt. So moral of the story is make sure your doc knows what is what. And get it treated asap!

8. Choucho

Yeah, when I tell my mother I hope she takes into account out past experiences with the family doctor.

And, um... this really has nothing to do with my toes, but I didn't want to make another topic. >.< Earlier, my arm pit was itchy, so of course, I scratched it, and when I took my hand away there was a bunch of white stuff on the nail. I was just like "Oh, I probably put too much deodorant on again" but then I remembered it's blue. So I looked, and the skin under my arm was peeling off. >.< I didn't think much of it, because my skin peels a lot. But I've never had that much all come off at once before, and just by gently scratching. I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but I had a lot come off last night too. >.< And now it's even more itchy. *sigh* I'm not even 17 and I'm falling apart already.

9. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    try putting on lotion under your arms

10. Choucho

There's probably some around here... somewhere... this house is full of random things. >.<
    One time there was some cheese spread that had been expired for about two years... my mom tried to get me to eat it!

11. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Choucho, from what you describe, the lack of pain along with thickening of the nail, misshaped nail bed and discoloration of the nail to yellow, it is a fungal infection of the nail. Dermatiphite is the name of the fungus and you can see the commercials for Lamasil tabs to correct it. Requires a doc to look over things and do a liver panel on you, then prescribe the Lamasil tabs. Treatment is for about 3 months, with a break then sometimes another 3 months. The Lamasil is deposited in the nail and kills the fungus.

Since you are 16, I would say, wash feet daily, dry, have a change up in shoes or athletic shoes and changes of socks and change out twice daily. It is the moisture and darkness that promotes growth.

Underarms, well you didn't say how often you bathe and I know with some it isn't a daily thing. Another thing, how much do you sweat and if not much, then do you use a deodorant or anti-perspirant. If an anti-perspirant some people react to the clogging of the pores which is how they work, so causes inflammation of the skin. Do you have any other condition such as Eczema or psoriasis? So far not enough history to provide what is going on.

#11 JayHew, Aug 11, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  12. Choucho

Well, I usually shower every other day, but that's more to the fact that my house has crappy plumbing, and for me to shower every day would probably cause the basement to flood. >.< Though sometimes I do lose track of the days, they kind of all blend together lately...

I use a deoderant, and I'm not sure how much I sweat. I don't work out extensively, just an hour or so of dancing for fun. So probably not that much. And no, no other conditions.

13. JayHew

It is possible that this is also a fungal infection. Another perfect place for it, dark for the most part, warm and moist. Try doing without the deordorant for a week and if you have the product Lamisil (terbinafine hydrochloride) cream AF available, apply it for a week. It will stop a fungal infection fairly well as it kills the spore as well as the fungus itself and actually becomes a part of the skin tissue for a while.

Let me know if this helps, but if it doesn't let me know also, will have to do some more searching for you.

14. Choucho

Thanks very much. ^_^ I'll let you know how things work out.

15. JayHew

Cool beans.

16. Rette

Ingrown toenails can suck. I had a really bad one that I let go way, way too long. I ended up having to get very minor surgery, they cut a strip out of my toenail. It was like 2 years ago, and to this day, my toenail on my left big toe grows in 2 pieces.

So don't just ignore it!