1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiredness

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by 24601, Aug 11, 2007.

1. 24601

I'm not sure if this is a problem or just a natural thing, but I figured I'd ask. For the past few years, I have been tired. I don't mean just tired around like... bed time, I mean I wake up feeling tired, and feel tired almost the entire day. I sleep as long as I can, usually 7-10 hours. Sometimes I have a hard time sleeping, but not normally. It affects me whether I keep a normal schedule, or a nocturnalish one.

Today, I woke up about 4 hours ago. Last night I slept for 9 hours. When I woke up I drank an iced tea. So, even with 9 hours of sleep and some caffeine, I still feel tired right now. Like, a huge wave of tiredness just swept over me and made me want to just go to sleep. The tiredness is no different if I get 6 hours of sleep or 9 hours of sleep. I'm just very tired.

I have a pretty normal life. I'm 16, eat when I'm hungry, am on the heavier side of average weight (165 lbs, 5'10"), get exercise regularly, don't take any prescription medications... I'm not sure what else really to mention.

So I guess my question is, is this normal for someone my age? I mean I know, or have heard it said that teenagers are often tired... but I seem to be tired a lot more than most of my friends. Is there any way besides consuming ungodly amounts of caffeine to stay a little bit more energized?

Thanks in advance.

2. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

It may be stress. I know I was really depressed about being in the closet. There were weeks, more like months, where I could barely stay up long enough to go to school just because I was too depressed about the whole thing.

3. Jim1454

DON'T consume lots of caffeine - it has the opposite affect, as you become dependant on it and need to consume more and more to get the same 'buzz'.

Not sure what else to say though. A healthy diet and exercise should work.

As PerryGay suggested, depression can cause you to want to just crawl back into bed.

Perhaps your doctor could help. Maybe you should have a check up to make sure there aren't any problems.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I would suggest going to bed and getting up at the same time everyday. I know this is hard when you are a teenager! Depression could be the reason you are feeling this way or it could be a health problem. Have you seen a doctor lately? I am on a B12 supplement which gives me energy during the day and that helps me. I have Sleep Apnea. So I know how you feel.

5. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Most often stress and/or depression zap the energy levels. Other than mentioned above, do you have hobbies you engage in, how is the social life, friends, activities outside of what has been mentioned? Boredom can also contribute to the condition. Sleep can be a means of escape from the world around you if there are stresses or depression present.

6. CrimsonThunder

Some people wake up tired and become awake later on in the day... Thats me. =D And its a normal thing for these people.

7. Kimi

Somehow I feel tired even when I woke up from good 9 hours of sleep.
    But as days goes and when I have something to do or get busy I don't feel tired anymore but when I have nothing to do and stuck in my room I feel more tired as time goes.

I try to not sleep during the day even I feel tired because if I do I can't sleep in the night. I don't wanna live like a vampire with many acne:icon_sad:

8. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i also get tired a lot. i try to sleep 8-9hours a day. some times i even go to sleep on the bus coming home from school. i share my bed room with my 2 younger brothers and my 13yo brother snores and it wakes me some times!!!

9. 24601

Thank you all for the replies.

Yeah, I know, the "ungodly amounts of caffeine" part was kind of a joke, although I do drink a little every day. I don't know if iced tea has all that much actual caffeine in it, though.

I think I might ask for a check up, for this, and other things.

As school starts, I'll follow a set schedule like that, but in the past it hasn't helped all that much. Depression might be a factor. I have had episodes of depression on and off recently, for no real reason. I was considering talking to my doctor about anti-depressants, but decided to wait a little bit.

I forget if I mentioned this or not, but I'm considering taking vitamins in the morning. Anyone know if this might help? My diet is kind of lacking in the fruit/vegetable department, as I don't really like any. I wish I did, and am not trying to make excuses. When we have ones that I do like, I eat them, but the variety is kind of limited. All other aspects of my diet are normal. I don't eat all that much junk, and I try to maintain my weight.

It might be stress, too. I have a lot of summer work that I've procrastinated on, and band camp starting up. I'm not sure, though, because it seems to be a problem even when I'm not that stressed. Depression, like I mentioned above, could be it.

I have hobbies, such as the trumpet and reading, that I regularly do. I'm also teaching myself to type with a Dvorak Simplified Layout, among other things. Also, band is starting soon.

Social life is okay. Generally it's good and I generally go out with friends at least a few times per week. This past week has been a little different, since it's kind of my in between week - I was at the beach with a friend for a week, and tomorrow starts band camp.

I have plenty of friends that I talk to regularly online, on the phone, and do stuff with in real life, including my darling boyfriend. My best friend and I are also tight, and generally do stuff a few times per week. I also hang out with my other friends regularly, of course. I don't think this is a problem.

Right now, I'm leaning towards either rough sleeping (I toss and turn a lot in my sleep and am often times not comfortable -- I wake up a few times each night), or depression.

Another thing I've been experiencing is an almost complete lack of motivation. I will sit here with a ton of stuff to do, and have no motivation at all to get any of it done. Instead, I'll sit around staring blankly at my computer screen. Is this a sign that it could be some form of depression?

I have a history of depression. For the past 4 or 5 years I've been depressed on and off, quite regularly. It usually surfaces at night, and I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night having panic attacks or depressive episodes, as I call them. I've been to a professional psychologist who helped me through a suicidal period a few years back, although the mindset still returns sometimes. I don't know, though, if right now I'm really depressed about anything.

I think I will go see my doctor some time in the near future. Any other thoughts with that information?

10. Moth

What kind of mattress do you have? I have a terrible mattress, it's only a bunch of these eggcrate foamy sheets glued together laid on top of a sheet of plywood that goes over the wood frame of my bed. I've noticed that I tend to sleep a lot better on any mattress better than mine (even just a regular spring mattress - they're not great, but they're ten times better than eggcrate) and am usually not as tired throughout the day after sleeping on a better mattress. You might want to consider getting a better mattress if possible, or do a trial on one at least.

Also, do you dream a lot when you sleep? I often have really vivid dreams and sometimes nightmares, and I know when I do I don't rest well, even if I sleep all through the night for a good eight or nine hours. If you do, you might want to ask your doctor about sleep aids. Although if you sleep better on a better mattress you might not need the sleep aids. I personally refuse to take sleep aids or any sort of drug that I don't absolutely need, no matter how "natural" it might be, so I would try a better mattress first before sleep aids.

Aside from what's already been said about stress, depression, and boredom, that's all I can think of.

11. 24601

Wow, that's an excellent point and one that's been totally slipping my mind relating to this. My mattress is old and, quite frankly, terrible. I definitely should have thought of that earlier. I don't think I will need the sleep aids, as I'm like you in that respect. Plus, my sleep isn't often interrupted by things like that.

Thanks!

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It definitely sounds like you need a new mattress. You are supposed to replace then after 10-15 years, but many people keep them much longer than that.

Tell your parents that your mattress is bad and is affecting your sleep, and try to persuade them to get you a new one. It's best to go to a local bedding centre and try them (sit at the foot of the bed and lay back) to find one that suits you. Choose the firmest that is still comfortable, as softer ones often give less support. Take advise from the sales person (if you think they know what they are talking about) too. Go for a well known brand if you can.

Around a year ago I was working away from home a lot and found I slept better and woke up with less aches in the "Premier TravelInn" hotel beds than at home. I looked at what mattresses they use (made by Hypnos, I can't remember the exact type) and bought one of the same type online. It was expensive but it's excellent!

13. 24601

I think my mattress is around 20 years old, to be honest. My dad says it's been around longer than I have. I talked to my mom about it, and she says we'll have to get a new one. When there's logic and health concerns involved, they're pretty easily persuaded. Thanks for the tips. :slight_smile:

14. SpikySpice

Beeing free may make you feel sleepy or tired, getting busy will solve all

The weather may also make you feel sleepy or tired, especially this summer

Well, that's ajust alittle bit knowledge of me bout tiredness, I've learned alot in this thread

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Excellent news!

Once you get it, remember to turn it over at whatever interval it says on the instructions. Probably every month for the first six months, then every three months. This spreads the wear so you don't get one area worn and the rest unused.

It'll probably take you a few nights to get used to it, so don't worry if you don't sleep really sound for the first week or so.

16. Kimi

Mine said every three months and I do flip it around so I can have great sleep!!
    And it really feels different!! So maybe you can try it till you get new one!!(of course you should do it even after you got new one)

17. 24601

I could do with flipping my current one, haha. It sags down on the side I usually sleep on. Thanks for all the advice, guys.

18. Gera-Kun

hmmm.....well, i don't think weight is the prob...i weight ten pounds more than you, same height ans age, and i'm very energetic!!! =D