1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protien Shakes??

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Isaac, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Isaac

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A friend of mine wants to bulk up a little and wnats to try protien shakes. He says it's safe, and stuff, so I figured, its your life, do what you want. But now im curious, are protien shakes good for? Are they a sfae way to gain weight / muscle?

2. Phantasma

They are safe, but a waste of money for the most part. Generally, he would have to use the shakes/powders in very large amounts to get any visible effect.

3. ricoca

Watch out for Creatin? cause they cause kidney stones I heard.
    I don't know anything more about them really sorry :slight_smile:

4. Brad

If used in excess i have heard that they can be rather damaging to your body. I would suggest just working on a balanced diet. If you eat right you should get all the protein you need just from your meals/snacks. So unless you are planning on body building rather aggressively to gain a lot of muscle fast i doubt you would even need to consider protein shakes.

5. KaraBulut

Protein shakes provide two things-

• If you're aggressively working out and doing weight lifting/resistance exercise, it provides protein for muscle growth. In this case, the protein shake should be consumed during the workout or immediately after to be most effective.
    • If you're not aggressively working out, then the protein will be used for energy or as part of the fat storage process. While protein doesn't turn to fat, protein is a calorie source, so it allows the body to use dietary carbohdrates to store fat.

Protein shakes have value for people who don't like to consume meat or for the person who is on the go. A lot of guys will fit in a trip to the gym between work/school and their busy schedule. In this case, a protein shake after the workout is a way to get protein without having to prepare a meal and eat it.

But the preferable way to get protein is through food sources by eating meat, fish, eggs, milk or cheese. There are plant sources of protein but it is difficult to get complete amino acids solely from plant proteins.

6. Jim1454

Yes - I used protein shakes as part of my workout routine with P90X. I'd add a scoop to some apple juice and blend it up after doing the weight training. As KB says, it provides muscles with the nutrients they need to rebuild.

I'll also have it as part of a fruit smoothy in the morning for breakfast some time. Protein as a source of energy is the most complex to digest, so it tends to provide you with more even energy levels throughout the day.

7. Paralyzer

I know they work because my buddy in my weight training class used them, the whey protein stuff, and he had great results. He brought it to school so yeah, he consumed it directly after his sessions. He got really sexy very fast, lmao. But he was pretty dedicated. I have some myself, but I mainly have it since I'm a vegetarian and I noticed that I wasn't progressing in weight training as fast as my peers. The stuff works to an extent, for me at least. I did build muscle.

I am pretty sure it's healthy.

8. Emberstone

Creatine actually is safe. There is a stigma that it is a steriods, but that has since passed. People thought it built muscle, but it doesnt. It also doesnt boost hormones like a steroid, which is a manafacturered, fake hormone.

What creatine is, is simply a type of amino acid chain/protein chain that is found in red meats predomiantly. It is stored in the muscles as creatinephosophorus, which is a chemical form of energy that is stored in the muscle that when you work out, is used to give yourself just a little bit more energy for quick movements in pushing the weight, which allows you to push just a little more, which allow you to stimulate the muscle more, which equates to more growth in recovery.

It also hydrates the muscle by drawing in water to help the muscle be optimally hydrated. This helps also with flushed out unwanted aftereffects of the cotrolled teardown of the muscle during the workout such as lactic acids, which form as muscle is torn down. that extra hydration allows you to move it from the muscle faster. if it lingers, your workout wont be as effective.

Hydrating also helps the muscles to appear bigger. Thus, you need to drink more water to keep your body in optimal hydration overall. if you are working out, you need to drink more anyways, so it shouldnt be a problem.

Also, you have to be 18 to buy creatine. It is not because it is dangerous but when you are 16, your body is in overdrive and you are already in good conditions because of puberty that you really only need to eat well to build muscle.

When your older, and puberty ends, you will find it harder. That is why many adults use it.

Does it cause kidney stones? only if your stupid and dont read the instructions. Your body can only process so much creatine, so you will pee out the rest. If you dont drink the required minimum ammount of water, well even without creatine, your at a higher risk for kidney stones.

below 150 pounds, you should only do 3 grams of creatine a day, 150-200, they recommend 5 grams, and 200+ 7-10grams. Some people load, which means doing 10-20 a day for a week, in 5 gram increments throughout to saturate the muscles. this is what got people twenty years ago to believe it as a new form of steroids, because that is what steroids users do, but for differnt reasons.

I use creatine. I am hovering at 150 pounds, and do 5grams on the days I work out. I do see a increse in the power of my workout, and can both push myself a little harder, and use a bit more weight. I have seen increases over time in overall strength and size. I have had no urinary tract problems, and I havent loaded. I am planning to do a mini loading phase to see how it effects my gains.

Being a hard gainer, I use creatine since have long since left puberty, which makes gaining muscle harder. I also use protein, since muscle is protein, so protein shakes are a way to get protein as quickly as possible to muscles to begin the recovery phase when you need it most. this more pure form of protein as compaired to say a steak or a peice of chicken is great post workout. You need 2 times your weight in grams of protein a day to maximise muscle. protein shakes should only be apart of that. You want most of your nutrition to be from food. protein shakes are good post workout, and if you really want help, get casien protein, and drink a shake each night before bed. this prevents your body from running out of protein to synehtsis into muscle while you sleep,which is a effective time for recovery.

You can also eat cottage cheese, which has casein, but again, a casien shake is a more refined form of the protein.

everything in moderation is the rule. Both protein and creatine are safe and have their uses.

9. starfish

Well there is a lot of stuff out there, and it does help. There are strong arguments on both sides.

I have been working out a lot the past 10 months and I have found a couple of things. The supplements do help, but the recommended quantities are usually way too high. It has taken some time, but I have found a diet that works for me.

I use protein shakes sometimes if I am feeling lazy. I tend to put fruit and yogurt in there, so I have them in lieu of a meal sometimes.

What I go through a lot of is protein bars. I have yogurt, orange juice and a protein bar every day for breakfast. I just do that because I don't like to eat until I have been awake for 1.5-2 hours so I eat it at work.

I've taken Creatine before, but I don't like how it makes me feel. It makes me drink a lot and I have to pee every 30 minutes like clock work. I am going to start the Creatine again, but I am only only to take about 1/3rd the recommended quantity.

10. Emberstone

I agree, creatine takes getting used to I didnt take it everyday, mainly because I cant be bothered to. But yah, I had to pee like crazy for the first two weeks. Any time you change your nutritional habits, your body has to adjust. I hated taking active sports multi vitimans because they have you take like 10 pills. you always ha 2-3 horse pills in there. they also made me feel like crap for the first few days, but after that, I really felt great.

Just remeber, suppliments like protein and the like are purely there for the purpose of giving a little boost. They arnt meant to be the bulk of your nutrtion.

11. dude99

dude99 Guest

Protein shakes are a big waist of money. I used it for years and at times frequently too. I wont use that again. It never achieved any real results for me.

12. Emberstone

With my fast metabolisem, I only see results if I use a high calorie clean *not alot of sugers* protein shake. It all depends on how you use them as to how effective they will work for you.

13. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I bolded a point that needs emphasis. To achieve muscle gains it must be combined with an aggressive exercise program. It's not consume protein shake, get instant muscle mass.

Also one must look at your entire exercise program and diet. There's such a thing as too much protein, and generally there's more than enough protein in the average diet.

I laughed every year at university when I saw a kiosk trying to sell unsuspecting students protein mixes.

14. Emberstone

I used to get a kick out of how the student store at my old college sold muscle milk. The only people I ever saw buying and drinking it were people who clearly didnt work out. They also tended to be the people who acted like they were hotshit while everyone giggled behind their hands about their muffintops.

15. calstad

I take gold standard whey, sometimes anabolic protein shakes before and after workout, I also consume fish, tuna, skin-less grilled chicken and kidney beans along with green vegetables and whole wheat grains or steamed rice and drink plenty of water. I work out 6 days a week and I have improved greatly

16. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    http://naturalbias.com/getting-started/

this is a link to some information regarding fitness and health. I can't find exactly where I read it (i think in the P90X review), but I remember it being said somewhere that Protein shakes can be helpful to people who are working out. However, in many cases people can usually skip over the need for protein shakes entirely if they just cut the crap out of their current diet. Most of the time protein shakes are entirely unnecessary

17. Emberstone

I just use them solely for after I work out because it is protein in a form designed to be easily digested. taking it after I work out means that I am provding my body with clean protein to begin repairing and rebuilding the muscles I tore up working out.

I see diets online, and it always seems silly to see someone who will drink three to four protein shakes a day. The only time you need a quick absorbing form of protein is after you workout. otherwise, you just need to eat right and spread your meals and nutrition throughout the day.