1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First ever STD screening this tuesday

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Pseudojim, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all

I've never had an STD / STI screening in my life. I'm faaaaar from promiscuous but i have been sexually active on and off over the last 9 years.

I'm worried that i have HSV 1. I have never exhibited a symptom of it, but my mum has it, had it before i was born and frequently had cold sores when i was growing up and living with her and my dad.

I mean.... with the amount of exposure i have had with my mum through my youth, i just think it's unlikely i didn't pick it up SOMEWHERE along the line. I know only 10% of people ever exhibit symptoms, but it's a common misconception that it is only infectious if you have a cold sore at the time of contact. It's apparently possible to be infectious without ever having a symptom.

I don't know the point of this post beyond getting that out there. I don't feel entirely comfortable telling that to friends. But i'm worried about having to say "I have herpes 1" to someone before doing anything with them.

2. Corny

Corny Guest

80-90% of grown ups are infected with HSV 1. ~40% have had cold sores.

Maybe you have it, maybe you don't. I wouldn't worry too much about this one :wink:

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i have heard different statistics... i've heard between 50-60% of australian adults... with 10% of those exhibiting symptoms.

and i'm gonna keep worrying just the same =)

4. Schu

the statistics do vary widely, depending on definition, statistical methodology etc., much like rape statistics tend to.

Good luck man.

5. Brad

Wow i am tired.. Started reading it then started thinking "Why is he worried about a car showing up on his std/sti panel."

6. KaraBulut

HSV1 and HSV2 are different strains.

Most humans have HSV1 by the time they reach adulthood. While many people believe they "get cold sores", the truth is that once infected, the virus remains inactive and following periods of illness/stress, the virus reactivates and causes additional cold sores.

In all likelihood, you have HSV1. However, HSV1 is not considered part of testing for STDs. It would be HSV2 (which generally affects the genitals, not the mouth) that is screened in STD testing.

7. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Could you clear something up for me then?
    When I was in highschool, they told us that you could transmit the HSV1 from mouth to genitals and the HSV2 from genitals to mouth. If they are different strains... well... I don't get it. Are they specialized? Can one really infect the other? What are consequences of that happening?

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been reliably informed by the doctor that i will be screened for many STDs including HSV1 tomorrow.

9. KaraBulut

Most of the time herpes simplex infection is diagnosed by visual inspection, not by lab test. So, genital herpes is assumed to be HSV-2 and is not tested to determine which particular strain the person has contracted.

We do know that there are cases where HSV-1 can be transmitted from oral to genital contact.

However, the different strains of the virus seem to have different characteristics that make HSV-1 genital infection less likely.

• HSV-1 infection seems to be easier to transmit when the person is symptomatic. So, if the person has a cold sore, they are much more contagioius. People with cold sores are also less likely to perfom oral sex.... therefore, less chance of transmission.
    • On the other hand, a person with HSV-2 can be infectious whether they have lesions or not.
    • HSV-1 oral infections seems to recur when the person is under stress. HSV-1 genital infections don't seem to recur from the evidence that we have. You may contract HSV-1 genitally but there seems to be less incidence of multiple breakouts of genital HSV-1 infection. On the other hand, HSV-2 genital infections may occur once or they may periodically recur.

10. Emberstone

Good luck with your sceening, and here is hoping that all is well.

11. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope it went ok today mate. I'm afraid being a woman I have less sympathy for blokes having STD screens. I think anyone would agree that most gynaecological instruments must have been used in medieval times as tools of torture. hehe :slight_smile:.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol

we end up having to put up with prostate exams though =)

13. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha! Thats true.

14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Negative for HSV1 and HSV2 =)

and the rest i'm not at all worried about (find out in about 5 days), so basically all clear. hoorays

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats ^_^