1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smoking

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by lordjord96, Nov 15, 2009.

1. lordjord96

I have tryed to stop smoking loads of time but i cant. I went from ciggerets to roll-ups and now im smoking small cigars, iv tryed switching my habbit but that dont work iv asked my mates brother to stop getting them but i always cave and ask him to get me some, any tips?

2. -Michael-

how old are you? :S

my guess is you don't really need them

you smoke for some other reason.

Maybe to look 'cool' or different.

But smoking small cigars?! :S

you're not doing it for the nicotine.
    Experience of young kids smoking tells me that

3. -Michael-

oh but if you're determined it is the nicotine.

Cold turkeys best.

Tell a parent

go cold turkey

you're too young to have patches or gum

4. guacj

I have to disagree...I quite smoking using nicotine lozenges. They help to ween you off of the nicotine which is the addictive element to smoking. You cant be too young for the nicotine replacements...trust me they really work

5. -Michael-

No you CAN be too young.

Which is why they have age limits.

Just like smoking does. :wink:

6. Fargo

Fargo Guest

In Canada, patches and such don't have age limits. Just like condoms. I find that if I am without a smoke, I am either eating or sleeping. It make take a day or two, but it works =]

7. iwanttobelieve

well another thing to consider is the anit-depressant Bupropion (wellbutrin), my doc was ginna put me on it because it first was developed as an anti-smoking drug and now it can be used as an anti depressant, i smoke about 8 cigs a day and i have no reason to quit, but good luck with yours!

8. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi lordjord (i love your name, awesome)

I see you live in the UK, well smoking cessation help is excellent on the NHS. The thing with giving up is that there is no magic cure that will just make you give up with a click of the fingers, you have to want to give up. If you are serious about wanting to kick it then I would see if your GP surgery runs a smoking cessation class. I'm not sure how old you are but at the practice I work at there is no age limit, and the support is brilliant. They dont lecture you on why you shouldnt smoke, but they give you an idea of all the different products available on the market to help you give up.

Just for your information this site is brilliant and if you put your postcode in it will give you the nearest centre to you... http://smokefree.nhs.uk/

Good luck matexx

9. L|L

L|L

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I quite last Thursday. I've been wanting to for years. What pissed me off more, was that I felt I was weak not being able to quit. I broke the ciggies I still had and was done.

We'll see how it lasts.

The worst is getting over the triggers - the times of day and events that prompt you to light-up. You have to retrain yourself. It takes a lot of mental power.

It isn't easy. I found it easier to give-up a cocaine addiction than it is for me to quit smoking.

You have to want it! And, at 6 quid a pack, it gets expensive!

10. RaeofLite

Congrats L|L. Keep going. I know you can do it.

If you need aid, try working out. That seems to help a lot of people. Eating healthy, getting sleep, avoiding people that smoke (at least when they're smoking or about to), keeping your hands busy (sewing, drawing, doodling, stay on the comp?

I'd like to quit myself but so many of my friends do it as well so.. it would be super hard.

----

11. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom used to always eat a carrot when she got a craving. The trick is to replace the addiction with an addiction to something better. So after my mom was eating carrots instead of smoking, whenever she got a craving it was for carrots, not for cigarettes. and Today she doesnt smoke at all, and she would never start ever again!

12. Possibly Maybe

This is good advice! Replace your oral fixation with something else. Also, try to keep busy, do some sports, move, walk, etc.

Like someone else said, you could also ask for help. talk to your parents, they will support you, friends, or your doctor.

Keep it up!!! :thumbsup:

13. kettleoffish

I'm trying to quit too, it's not easy, is it? I've gone since Saturday (6 days!) since I decided to go cold turkey, and while I am now acting like a complete douche towards everyone from the lack of nicotine, I'm glad I decided to quit. It's been taking over my life, and my intake's been creeping up and up. In a month I won't be thinking about it. I hope..

good luck to you :slight_smile:

14. UserName

I've tried to quit smoking cigarettes multiple times always ends up in repeating the habit, but usually the times I try to quit are either the most stressful times in my life or for some reason right before my birthday...and I can't turn down a pack of my favorite cigarettes with a bow on them, that's just rude :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But I also have a bad habit of drinking too much, taking adderall for school, and xanax for panic attacks / anxiety (but hey at least my Adderall and Xanax is prescribed now, and the Xanax has really helped with calming my nerves to come out - thanks doc!). But anyhow, now that I have come out of the closet / starting to come out more and more, there's a lot of people to tell...I'd like to get more into shape, and going to the gym if you smoke cigarettes is terrible. Especially that Mauy Thai class I did :frowning2: