1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ladies, I need your help!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Numfarh, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

After seeing a scene out of 'The Itty Bitty Titty Committee', I paused my DVD to read something scrawled across a tampon add. Some rubbish about tampons containing Agent Orange. Well, I like to consider myself a truth-seeker so with a quick google search, I discovered that practically all tampon brands (including my choice OB) contain possible human carcinogens (most notably dioxin). While multiple government run groups have come to the conclusion that the effect is negligible, I still worry considering how little actual research I could find on the subject outside of the blogosphere. In addition, I've been in the process of greening my life for the sake of my wallet as well as the earth.

As such, I've decided I'd like to try using a diva cup. Not only can they be reused over and over, but they do not have the associated risks of tampons. While there are tons of testimonials on the internet, I'd still like some advice from people on the board. I trust your opinions and experiences over complete strangers, you see. I have a few questions that I hope y'all can help me out with:

1. I am quite an active person. I also absolutely abhor the feel of pads (diaper much?). As such, are diva cups prone to leakage or spillage? Will I feel comfortable wearing my white pants if I have a diva cup in?
    2. They look ridiculously uncomfortable. They are SO much larger than tampons width-wise. I can't imagine a hunk of plastic being in my vagina being comfortable.
    3. They look difficult to remove. I mean, how do you keep the blood from spilling everywhere when pulling it out?
    4. Further to that point, how does one go about washing it when in a public restroom?
    5. Also, the website says that it sits quite low in your vagina. I am most sensitive in that area (sexually speaking), even more so than my clitoris! Has anyone had any problems with that sensation?

I have so many reservations about using it, but I can't help but think that it would be a better choice as a health-conscious environmentalist.

Help?

#1 Numfarh, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2009
  2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. I've never had leakage due to activity - the only time I've had any kind of overflow was when it actually overfilled.
    2. They're not uncomfortable. I use a Mooncup (UK, I think there's a difference between UK and US Mooncups) and it's a very soft silicone, and once it's in I've literally wondered a few times if I've remembered to put it in because I haven't been able to feel it. It is uncomfortable if it's not sitting right, though.
    3. Removing it is a little hard to get used to, and sometimes you do get a bit of blood on your hand. You kind of work it down with your muscles until you can grip the base (you don't pull it out using the stem, although it can be useful to help work it down), then give it a little twist or carefully push in one side, and from there it comes out pretty easily.
    4. In a public restroom, or if you're strapped for time, you can just empty it into the toilet and give it a wipe out with toilet paper, then give it a proper wash when you get somewhere with a sink. Or if you're like me and carry a bag everywhere you go, you could keep a bottle of water with you to give it a rinse.

The cup takes some getting used to, and if you get one, it's worth doing a bit of practice beforehand. Practice different ways of folding it, use different amounts of lube if you're not menstruating when you try it (and for god's sake don't get any where your fingers will be, it's impossible to hold on to), try different positions (sitting or squatting works pretty well for me). Now that I'm used to it, though, I wouldn't go back.

3. Helen

Helen Guest

^Well congrats for getting used to it, Maddy XD

Personally, I tried to use a mooncup and I literally found it impossible. It was excruciatingly painful to try and get in, and I couldn't figure out any other way of folding it. Also surely it must hurt when it flaps out into its cup shape again...? :confused:

Tbh Corina, the risk with tampons is so low, you might as well just carry on with those. They're considerably easier...

4. KaraBulut

There's an old thread talking about moon cups from last year. It's here.

5. LeonaRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love mooncups althought I appear to have lost mine :S ew! They can be a bugger to get in to be honest but I just use lubricant. Once they're in though you generally forget they're there until they need emptying. They can feel a bit uncomfortable when they start to over fill. Public restroom wise, take a bottle of water with you to the bathroom and rinse it down the toilet before putting it back in. :grin:

6. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I ended up purchasing one yesterday and my period just started last night, providing the perfect opportunity to try it out. I apparently have a really shallow vagina and my cervix is sit really low. Unfortunately, the Divacup (after finding size measurements at a livejournal community) is the longest menstrual cup on the market! Of course, I was a little more than annoyed that the cup wasn't fitting properly. I ended up trimming off all of the stem which only helped a little bit. Why is the stem there anyways? It's just irritating and certainly doesn't help with removal. After a quick search, I found that I could turn the cup inside out which shortens it just enough that it fits. I can't imagine how the cup is supposed to sit away from your cervix! I mean, you would have to have a very deep vagina indeed for it to be away from there.

It's relatively comfortable, although I find that I have to make sure the seal is looser or it sucks really strongly. I figure I'll stick with this one until I can afford to replace it with a brand of a smaller size.

Anyways, thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You girls are braver than I am! :grin: