1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weak ankles (long sorry...)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Smiley1123, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Smiley1123

This whole thing started about 1 1/2 years ago...my first ankle sprain. I fell down a flight of stairs and landed directly on my ankle and sat on it. It took a moment before the pain set in but I started crying. I crawled on my hands and knees to the nurses office who looked at it, give me advil and taped a large ice pack on. It was the end of the day so I headed towards my bus to take me home. I limped all the way to the bus in agonizing pain. When I got home my mom said we would watch it. The next day it was even more swollen than the night before. We went to the ER, got some xrays. They said it was just sprained. Gave me a brace and sent me home. I was able to walk with the brace (with mild discomfort) but I made it through. I wore it for two weeks but then I had a bat mitzvah to go to and did not want to wear it with my dress. I thought the pain mostly subsided to I did not wear it anymore. Everything was fine and dandy that summer except for a few rolled ankles (i did not do anything for them...) Fast forward to the first few weeks of school. I was in gym class and was running across the gym. I guess I stepped wrong because the next thing I knew I was on the floor crying. Once again I fell on the same ankle. It was swollen and I once again got ice and advil. This time my mom just gave me the brace that I had before and did not take me to the ER. Since then I have had a few more mild sprains (ace bandage nothing too serious or painful.) I can hear my ankle crack and it feels very unsteady. Last week. I was playing field hockey without shin guards on (Im so smart...) and a girl drove the ball directly into the bone of my good ankle (the one I have not sprained before.) :***::***: It hurt like :***:. Anyway I went to the nurse and got ice and advil (what else is new) and went home with some crutches. 2 days later I went to a doctor and they said I could have some tears but no break. So I went back home with another brace and my crutches. That was on Wednesday. Today, Monday, I still cannot put weight on my heel without terrible pain. I walk around my house on my toes and use crutches outside. I don't know what to do. Does anyone know what this could be? I was doing some research and thought maybe it could be a hairline fracture since they dont show up for 10-14 days?

And if you got all through that give yourself a pat on the back :slight_smile:
    Thanks for reading (*hug*)

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah =]

Its part of growing up having injuries :slight_smile: you'll get used to it .

3. Smiley1123

also one more thing, is there anything I can do to prevent sprains or strains?

4. Confusicus

Confusicus Guest

stretch before running, and flex/rotate your ankles with your hand clockwise and then counterclockwise. there's not much more you can really do. I sprained my ankle dropping into the pool at the skatepark and it was jacked up for 6 months. It still makes crazy cracking and popping sounds when I rotate it. Only thing you can really do for a sprain is ice it immediately for the first 24, elevate and stay off it. Once you can put weight on it you gotta remember to take it easy, it's hard because the second it feels better you wanna get back to what you were doing, but you need to get it strong before you start really using it. Those tendons and muscles are still super weak!

Probably nothing you didn't know lol

5. Smiley1123

Thanks. Yeah, I'll have to start to remember to stretch...

6. Mind Freak

All those ankle injuries make me nauseous.
    You poor girl!

I hope your ankle feels better soon.

Maybe you could try webmd.com?

7. Darkwing65

Tai Chi is great to strengthen the ankles. :slight_smile:

8. KaraBulut

The thing with sprains is that they are a cumulative injury. What happens is that the connective tissue (ligaments and tendons) are stretched and damaged. The healing is very slow and there's an increased chance that you will reinjure it while it's still healing.

For short term healing, you might ask your doctor to give you a physical therapy referral. They can work with you on strengthening your muscles so that you are less likely to injure yourself.

For long term healing and strengthening, you might look at yoga. For people who have these types of injuries, yoga helps with strength and balance so that you're less likely to have injuries in the future.

9. Smiley1123

Yeah of course today I fell down the stairs again and sprained my other ankle...so now I have two sprained ankles...

I'm going to go to the doctor tomorrow, hopefully he'll give me a good physical therapist :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help :grin: