1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need advice on how to get straighter...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by CrimsonThunder, Aug 17, 2007.

1. CrimsonThunder

Via my hair that is. Yes it is official I have acquired a hair straightener!

What I really need to know is how long I should have it on my hair (I don't want to ruin it.) and what temperature?

The one I got has the following temps: 140, 160, 180 and 210. Does the different temps make any differences?

ty

2. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you don't want to damage your hair I strongly reccomend getting some thermal protectant spray. You can buy them from hairdressers, Priceline, or general stores like Kmart or Big W and prices generally start around $7. Spray it around your hair (don't saturate your hair with it) and make sure to get the under layers as well.

As for the heat settings, I think it depends on how thick/wavy your hair is. My hair's thicker, but I find that I'm okay with 160 degrees. I start with the under layers first. Comb out a section with one hand, and while your combing it outwards, run the straightener through behind it at the same time with your other hand.

Be careful not to get the straightener too close to your skin, or leave it on one section of hair for too long, as the heat will burn your hair if held in one place.

Hope this helps and good luck:thumbsup:

3. CrimsonThunder

I get confused with that part Revealed. Thanks for ur advice!!

4. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you've seen someone with long hair turn their head upside down, then you see the underlayers of hair (ie, the hair that is generally closer to the neck, ears, etc). But I suppose if your hair is shorter it wouldn't really matter how you go about it :slight_smile:

5. CrimsonThunder

yeah my hairs short. =P

My mum said that my hair smelt like oil, I heard that doing this gets oil out of ur hair. this is a good thing?

6. Ohhh...I thought you were asking for tips on how to act straighter...
    '
    Unfortunately, I have absolutely no finesse for haircare. Sorry.

7. CrimsonThunder

That was the trick, get people thinking "oh he wants to be straight" then BAM! Fooled yet again! :lol:

8. Ah. Well, chalk another one up to the "fooled" column.

9. CrimsonThunder

*chalks up one on the "fooled" column*

Fooled column: dousedfirepants

10. Double Dubya

Seems like WW belongs on the fooled column too lol

11. Jerr

The Chi Silk Infusion stuff is like GOD... it smells soo good too. (It is actually a masculine smell) I bought a rather decent size bottle that should last me until... oh the end of time, for 25 dollars. It also makes your hands like uber soft when you use it.

Don't "leave" the straightener on your hair... just get a section... start at the base/root and go down to the tip... slowly if you wish but watch for STEAM BURNS... the sprays/silk infusion will create steam. (Or if your hair is wet)

It is really easy once you get the hang of it.

Temperature makes a difference on how fast it will straighten... BUT lower temperatures damage your hair less. If you have the time it is always recommended you do it on the lowest setting possible but... uh... I never do. lol (Chi Turbo has temp settings the regular one doesn't.... I choose the regular one over the turbo)

p.s. if you get the silk infusion you put it on your hair before and you put it on after. It is wonderful.

*holds head in shame* I know way too much about straightening hair....

12. CrimsonThunder

13. Michiyo

Michiyo Guest

omg jerr is right!! use bio silk on it first it protects the hair before useing the straightener