1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lorazepam/Ativan

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by iwanttobelieve, Dec 12, 2009.

1. iwanttobelieve

What is the toxicity of Lorazepam/Ativan> Like i've taken 10-15 mgs today but yeah how much is to much?

2. KaraBulut

How much was prescribed for you?

3. iwanttobelieve

1.5 mg a day, and im aware you are going to say :for maximum results and safety takes a persribed bu i also that drugs have toxcimity levels much higher than average dose (i.e mine of 16.5 mgs in 18 hours

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I trust you know that benzos are very addictive, and taking 10 times the prescribed dose, regardless of whether it is toxic, is stupid. Benzos have a fairly long half-life, and in addition, it is easy to develop tolerance, which means that the prescribed dose will then not work at all.

Abusing a prescription drug, particularly an addictive one, will not lead you in a positive direction. But I'm guessing you know this already, and have convinced yourself that this doesn't apply to you and it won't be a problem. If so... good luck. If you didn't realize this, contact your physician immediately. If you've been taking a higher dosage for a while, you don't want to abruptly stop it, as particularly with benzos, that can be dangerous.

5. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

You should go to the emergency room asap. That is way over the max dosage, and more than 10 times your daily dose.

#5 Swamp56, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2009
  6. UserName

Ativan is pretty weak in comparison to stronger benzo's such as Xanax, Kolonpen, Valium... I've taken 20mg of Xanax (back when I used to abuse it) in a couple hours and I live to tell the tell. But yea Benzo's are pretty addictive and dangerous, but I'm now prescribed Xanax for a panic disorder but I take it as directed :slight_smile:

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

The maximum dose of Lorazepam is 10mg within a 24 hour period. Seeing as the thread-starter has taken more than that, he should report to an ER asap. Just because a certain benzo isn't as powerful, doesn't mean that such a high dose isn't harmful.

8. UserName

Didn't say it wasn't harmful...but we don't know his past history of benzo usage nor his tolerance to Ativan, so whose to say that although he exceeded the maximum dosage for Lorazaepam in a 24 hour period that its severe enough to go to the "ER"? He's obviously able to write this post and thus proving he's more then likely not in serious trouble, don't waste a trip to the hospital if you're going to be ok... that'll cost you a lot of money, shame, and show a lot of irresponsibility on your part, just sayin.

9. KaraBulut

^^QFT
    These drugs are addictive- people underestimate exactly how addictive they are. Benzo withdrawl is not pleasant.

Well, that... yes. If you're prescribed a certain about of a drug you shouldn't take a different dose without talking to your doctor.

What I was going to point out is a couple of things-
    1. If you're taking about 10 times the dose that was prescribed for you, then the drug isn't working. Chances are that lorazepam isn't the drug to control your anxiety. You should talk to your doc and tell him that your anxiety isn't being controlled on this drug and that you've taken more than what he prescribed and it's still not working. Don't omit telling him that you've been taking more than the prescribed dose because...
    2. These drugs can be addictive if you've been taking them for a while. If it was just today that you took that much lorazepam, then it is not going to be as worrisome. On the other hand, if you've been taking larger doses of lorazepam for more than a few days, then you do run the risk of having withdrawal if they take you off of it too quickly. Your doctor needs to know that you've been taking more than the prescribed dose so that he can wean you off of it slowly.

10. iwanttobelieve

yea but don't want to be off of it. and yes i realize i pretty much have a benzo addiction. as. as long as 10-15mgs a day wont kill me its cool. abusing this drug has kept me alive
    i just thought i should ask if there is a lethal limit anyone has heard of and try bot to get to close to it.

11. iwanttobelieve

to be exaxt by the way it was 25mg in 34 hours

12. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Get to the ER. You have overdosed on your medications and need to seek treatment.

#12 Swamp56, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
  13. iwanttobelieve

i don't think so, i feel fine. besides the people at my er hate me cause ive been there 9 times, i promised i wouldnt go anymore so yeh

14. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

:|

Then go to another ER. Overdosing on medications can be lethal and very damaging to your system.

15. iwanttobelieve

believe me, at this point in my life that woulden't ncesisailly be a bad thing

16. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

#16 Swamp56, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
  17. iwanttobelieve

18. Phantasma

Why would you post this in the first place if you refuse to take any of the advice you are being given? By a doctor, no less.. who has told what you are doing is incredibly dangerous.

Go to the ER. You're going to kill yourself if you keep abusing your medications like this.

19. iwanttobelieve

i just want to know how much is too much, and if i die from it, a fortunate side effect, thanks

20. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! What's going on? We are concerned for your well being. You are going down a path that you should not be on.

Reading over some of the things you have said and looking at the turn that this thread has taken, it seems like that you are trying to end temporary problems with a permanent solution. Remember that what ever leads you to feel this way, you can overcome it. Seek the help you need. There is no shame in admitting that you need help. Talk to us, we are here to listen and to help. If you need help in contacting someone, to get the help you need, we can help you in that to.

You are not alone in having to deal with things that are going on in your life at the moment. (*hug*)