1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do people not wash their hands anymore?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Dewey, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dewey

Okay, here's what happened. One day, my uncle went to the washroom, did his business, flushed the toilet, and left. Do you see the problem here? Well, if not, I'll tell you -- he didn't wash his hands! But wait, there's more! I started listening to see if other people don't wash their hands either, and so far almost all of the guests who have come to my house haven't done it!!! EW!!! WHY? IS THIS NORMAL?? I think not washing your hands is not only uncleanly but it is also very rude, too. I want to say something but it's so hard to talk about. Is anyone else in this predicament? What do I do? :tears:

2. Shevanel

I wash my hands everytime I go to a bathroom. I think it's quite gross if you don't. Every time before meals too.

3. shorty

If its guys just having a pee, yeah, its not that unnormal. Though a bit unhygenic, its certainly not unusual. Whats that famous quote? :slight_smile:

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I wash my hands like 80 times a day. My sister never does. I don't get how people can not.

5. olides84

Washing hands is overrated. In my opinion, kids get sick more often these days because they wash their hands, use hand sanitizers, etc. Whatever happened to just getting your body used to everybody's germs as a kid so you can fight them off pretty easily the rest of your life. Or is that an old wives tale?

6. Dewey

@shorty
    What is that famous quote?

As for everyone else, I am glad you all are so hygienic!

7. Roxas101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. The more germs you are exposed to, the better your immunity will be. It makes sense...

8. I actually read this article a while back about how one-third of men surveyed don't wash their hands after using the restroom, despite the vast majority of them saying that they did. To be honest, it strikes me as a bit disgusting, although oldies84 does have a point.

As for your own situation, you can't force your family to wash their hands, but you can always offer them some hand sanitizer or something if it bothers you that much.

9. flymetothemoon

I'm all for not using the hand sanitizer all the time so you get exposed to some germs, but not washing your hands after using the bathroom? I think that is just gross...I'm with you on that one. I would say just keep washing yours as much as you feel is necessary to keep them clean or if you touch something that you know someone didn't wash their hands and touched, then use some sanitizer or wash in that case or something if it really bugs you to know that...

10. adam88

I'm not one to be over-hygenic or germaphobic by any stretch of either of those two words, but I still wash my hands after using the washroom. Sure, urine is technically sterile, but still.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use to never do it really. Now...I use Purell 25 times a day. I wash even if its not with soap i still wash. Etc.

12. olides84

Is this the quote/joke?

a marine and a sailor are in the bathroom taking a piss
    when the marine goes to leave without washing up
    the sailor says ‘in the navy they teach us to wash our hands’
    the marine turns to the sailor and says ‘in the marines they teach us not to piss on our hands!'

13. Dewey

@olides84
    I completely understand your stance on this issue but I always thought it was bad to be too clean AND too dirty. Whatever happened to balance? Yes, it's true that germs will become immune to (antibacterial) soap and make you sick, but if you don't use soap at all you will still get sick.

@MonsieurGodiva
    Interesting article! I think it just made me realize how many people who have touched their junk and then shook my hand. I'm scarred for life :slight_smile: LOL But seriously, I guess there's no escaping it and I should just not dwell on it too much.

@flymetothemoon
    I couldn't agree more. I think antibacterial sanitizers are bad but what about other options? Even just washing with water I wouldn't mind.

14. Just Adam

washign with water wouldent do anything tbh as any bacteria is inteh pours of the skin and teh water is too large... but meh my oppinion on how it is not gospel

my stance is if your hands are dirty wash them if you go to teh rest room in someoens house you wash them if you have company you wash them...on ya own inyour house ...hit and miss.

i do believe you can wash too much... and it is true most contaminations and illnesses via transmissions are due to lowerd immune systems because our bodys havent built up teh deffences from childhood

luckily i grew up before this anti bacterial carpet bomb.

#14 Just Adam, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  15. i need help

i wash my hand after using the restroom...and some times at random times because my hands sweaty and i cant stand it...

16. Courtneyyy

I wash my hands about half the time when I use the bathroom. But, if there are other people around, I at least turn on the water so it sounds like I'm washing my hands.
    No one else needs to know when I'm not being hygienic.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I do the same exact thing if I get too lazy to do it and there are other people around.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I heard an NPR discussion of this topic some years ago, and the person being interviewed was a biologist who made some interesting points.

If you've showered that morning and put on clean clothes, and you go to take a leak, your penis will be clean and relatively sterile. Urine is also sterile. Your hands, on the other hand, will have a ton of bacteria on them from doorknobs, counters, car keys, and everything else you've touched. So, the argument goes, you're actually contaminating your penis with your dirty hands, rather than contaminating your dirty hands by touching your sterile penis.

So, from a practical, common-sense perspective, there's no need to wash your hands. However, most people do consider it gross not to, so I and everyone else that's been socialized to do so by Western standards does continue to wash their hands :slight_smile:

19. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, I wash my hands after going to the restroom, but reading this, I think I'm now going to start washing them before going :lol:

#19 Filip, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  20. Ben

Ben

I wash my hands all the time. Probably too much.
    That's when I touch another person or an object which I am not familiar with or if I go into a place which smells of anything bad or unclean.
    So yeah I go mad on my hands when I go to the toilet. I don't know if it's done bad things to my skin because my hands are very dry and they hurt a lot of the time. Oh well.