1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living Conditions = Health Problems?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Revan, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so I am worried about the place I'm living in. It's a house, and I live downstairs in the basement. Basically my roommates sometimes leave food lying around for ages and basically fruit flies develop etc. Now my room is okay because I don't leave food lying around or anything. But I started living here in September of 2008. Now over the past two years (well 1 1/2 from Sept 2008 to now) my health has practically been deteriorating.

Exhibit A: I have been getting headaches so much more often, some are migraines, often practically every day. And even when I return to my own home with my parents which is constantly clean and everything, I'm still getting headaches.

Exhibit B: I hadn't had the flue in probably....ten or more years. Then this past February after living in the house for five months, I'm home with my parents and they get sick with the flue. I wound up looking after my parents, and well, for the first time in 10+ years, I got the flue.

Exhibit C: This past Thanksgiving my mom came down with a bug that was like chills and sweats and headache and of course if she stood up for more than a second she'd feel like she was going to pass out. I helped look after her, and next morning I wake up with all the same symptoms.

Exhibit D: The past couple months I've been getting times where my legs would cramp up, this happened before I got the flue, the same day I looked after my Mom (so the day before I got the bug), and then one week in November. Though this I went to my doctor about and he tested my muscle strength which turned out to be "lousy" and that's a quote of his word to describe my muscles, so apparently I just have such bad strength, my legs get sore from not enough using them.

Oh and right now, I'm getting partially sick from two restless nights. One with my boyfriend (who had the flue on Tuesday), he didn't cause the restlessness I just think once again, I caught his bug, and now tonight where I just can't sleep due to personal reasons.

So could anyone tell me if there is a chance living in unsanitary conditions could be causing my immune system to not work properly and that's why I've been getting sick more than prior to me moving into this place? And if there is a way for someone to like come in and check to see if this is causing my health problems? And also if me eating way too many bad foods (my weekly foods are ravioli, mac and cheese, cookies, fruit loops, simply apple (juice), chocolate milk and TONS of tea. I just don't want to be sick all the time anymore. Now to be clear I don't ever really feel like crap to accompany these sicknesses, minus the flue and the bug i caught and tonight, but generally I've always felt fine just would hate the pain from a headache or whatever. I think it's called malaise where you feel really sick, but I don't have that, I just have the symptom without the awful feeling lol.

So yeah please ANY advice I would really appreciate it because I DON'T WANT TO BE SICK ANYMORE!

Oh and one other Exhibit E: When I was young from like...2 until I was 10, I was in and out of the hospital with croup and such. So I can't help but wonder if all that illness is also possibly resurfacing.

Sorry for the long post, but advice needed badly.

#1 Revan, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Have you told your roommates to stop being slobs?

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup, they won't listen :slight_smile:

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I would suggest you try and find new ones / find another apartment if you can. Living in filth like that is extremely unsanitary.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But can it be the reason I'm constantly sick?

6. GhostDog

I should think so. I watch a lot of "How Clean is Your House" (which, uh, of course makes me an expert >.>) but they go into peoples' filthy houses, take swabs from various surfaces, and talk to them about the kind of molds and bacteria living in their houses. A lot of folks living in really filthy conditions had some kind of health complaint, I notice! They usually remark that, when you live in a filthy house, the question is not if so much as when you will get sick. (I love that show - I find it makes me clean a lot more often than I otherwise would.)

Are the headaches in question sinus headaches? If it's constantly filthy where you live, it may be that you have/have developed an allergy to the dust or the mold that's almost certainly living there. I don't know about the other complaints you have, as I'm certainly no medical expert, but, yeah. Living in a filthy place isn't good for you. =(

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I saw one episode of "How Clean is Your House" once where the person they were showing actually cleaned other houses for a living. And hers looked like a bomb hit it. I was like +1 for cosmic level irony.

But on to the issue, yes your living conditions can be tied to your health. My mother's mother cleaned very rarely when my mother was younger and she was always sick. Her health didn't really start to improve until after she moved out. We clean our house very very frequently and we get sick maybe once a year.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I think it's sinuses as I've always been badly allergic to dust and mold lol. And since I'm only home very small amount of time (the one that is extremely clean, I'm only here mainly Fridays and Saturdays, and a majority of the day of Sunday, but not Sunday nights. So obviously since I'm in the filth of an apartment Sunday nights until Friday afternoons....no wonder I'm sick. I wasn't as sick last year because I was only there Tuesdays to Thursdays, but now its a lot longer time -_- so more oppotunity for me to get sick sadly.

But I don't know what to do, the roommates won't do shit, and because it's right behind my school, I don't exactly want to move to further away....