1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important Note to Remember..

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RaeofLite, Jan 1, 2010.

1. RaeofLite

Link: http://www.slowdownfast.com/296/

Just a positive note for anyone to read. :slight_smile:

The Human Condition: Ridding Ourselves of Our Need to Be Liked

One of the most freeing things we can learn in our lives is that it is okay to not be liked by everyone. When we start realizing that not everyone is going to like us and accept that then we can stop trying so hard to get everyone to like us. We don’t have to spend our time trying to make everyone like us, because it is inevitably not going to work, so therefore we have more time to spend with those people that really do like us.
    One of the most freeing things we learn in life is that we don’t like everyone, everyone doesn’t like us, and that’s okay. Of course the “that’s okay” part is the liberating element; not liking everyone is good news, but knowing they may not like us is a little spirit-deflating until we get through to the that’s okay part.

The fact is, quite simply, that some people are not going to like me. They may think I’m too loud, too brash, too arrogant, too carefree, too positive, too assertive, too something. Or not enough of something else. Or they may not like my face.

What’s freeing about this is that when we realize not everyone is going to like us, we can stop trying to “make” anyone like us.

You’ve probably done this. I know I have. I can walk into a room, and let’s say there are ten people in the room. Seven of those people really like me. Two of them don’t really care one way or another. They’re otherwise engaged, or just indifferent to me. But one person there obviously hates me.

This is not someone I know who has always disliked me, or has some good reason to dislike me. This is along the lines of “not liking my face.” This person doesn’t have any real reason for not liking me. Again, maybe my voice is too loud. Maybe it’s my tie that’s too loud. Whatever the cause, this person is not in line to be in my fan club.

And to tell you the truth, I’m not in line to be in his fan club, either. I don’t like his face as much as he doesn’t like mine. I’m sorry, but being disliked on site does that to my attitude.

Being disliked on site also makes me work extremely hard to be liked by that person. I will ignore seven people who really like me. I will abandon my spouse or best friend for the entire party. I will spend all my time trying to make this one person like me, just because they don’t.

At least, I’ve been known to do that. These days I’m finding a lot of freedom in the idea that I don’t have to be liked by everyone. I’m learning that not only do I detest some people for no reason I can name, some people feel the same about me.

That is quite literally their loss, because if they looked past whatever they’re seeing, they might like me, and I might like them. If that happened, we might become best friends.

But it’s not likely to happen, and I don’t have to spend my time trying to make it happen. If it happens, it happens, and that would be fine.

Meanwhile, I have those seven out of ten people who like me a lot, and it takes a lot of time just to enjoy their company, let alone making new people change their opinions.

So not everyone likes me. I can live with that.

To learn to live with not being liked by everyone:

•Remember that you don’t like everyone, either.
    •Reflect on who likes you, and why.
    •When you feel someone doesn’t like you, give them space and time, but don’t actively try to change their mind.

2. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    I have absolutely no idea what about me lets people like me.

3. RaeofLite

I guess just being you is awesome enough Ander Blue. :grin:

4. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    (*hug*) lol thanks raeoflite

5. adam88

Too true. :slight_smile: Sometimes it's hard to see what others like in you though, or even worse when you can, but are certain that others can't. :frowning2: That's kinda where I've been the last couple days, nice intermissions aside.

6. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is excellent advice. Not everybody will like you, and you just have to learn to let go. I have problems with thissometimes, but I'm getting much better. :slight_smile:

7. ashasaurus13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What if Absolutley no one likes me, that would make the second on the bullet on the bottom very difficul

8. Camman3

Thank you for this :slight_smile: Was a nice read, and actually something to think about! I'm into my psychology as well, so I see this as further studying human behaviour :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Thanks Rae

9. Connor22

that's really good advice

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    maybe you're just awesome

11. LaVegetariana

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Real good advice, sometimes just being youself is a good enough reason to really make someone dislike you. Most of the time you can't do that much about it, I've tried and I seem to make it worse D=

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks :slight_smile: With my autism I always feel like I need to be liked....when that's really not anything I need....

13. Mouse

me neither

14. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I like you! You're funny your smart, your way cool :slight_smile: I can't list everything because this teacher is getting bored of me using my phone...

15. RaeofLite

16. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

[YOUTUBE]asyWVtoCjNM[/YOUTUBE]

I believe this is relevant to the discussion.
    As for people disliking me, on occasion, I dislike some people. And while I'll be cordial towards them, I will lose my patience much quicker than I would with a friend. So, since I dislike people based on certain small things, I figure it's fair if others hate me as well. I wouldn't want to be friends with a prick like that anyways (note my hilarious double standard wherein I'm not a prick but others are).

17. gemerency

I'm not sure i know exactly what its like to be "liked" I've yet to have a boyfriend or just a good friend in general. I've had people who deal with me but if the choice falls on them whether to call me or invite me to do something entertaining that would make them have to be in my presence, they choose not too. It's annoyingly painful :\

18. Love etc