1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do YOU Control YOUR Emotions?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RAJ Aladdin, Jan 3, 2010.

1. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

How do you guys control your;

1) Anger :tantrum:
    2) Hate :***:
    3) Depression :tears:
    4) Anxiety :bang:

The reason I asked is because people were bothering me today and all I wanted to do was have a temper tantrum and break stuff and throw bottles at the wall and scream but out of respect I bit my tongue. I just wanted to be alone but no one would let me. However, the people could tell I was upset and kept baggering me "What's wrong?" which only made me angrier!!! Yet, I still refrained from blowing up which is probably not healthy.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Anger and hate are two of the most common emotions I express. Depression and anxiety I just shut off. After years of practice, I can shut down what I don't want to feel whenever I want.

3. x2x2x2x2y2

Anger- Show a bit of it but not too much. If it comes down to it though i would show it quite a bit. I wouldnt like throw stuff but i would probably yell and scream my head off, but this would have to be to the extreme pressure point.

Hate- I pretty much block this emotion out. I dont like the feeling of hate so i try to ignore it and just go along with life.

Depression- Simple. Hide it and cry into my pillow when i need to.

Anxiety- Dont get it much but when i do, i just tell myself that everythings going to be ok.

Most people never see me sad or mad though. I hate showing those emotions.

4. Connor22

I face all of these the same way, I focus on what is the cause of whatever, then I imagine a way to deal with the problem, most of the time involving a fight or heated conversation, and I play it out in my head, it works for me and keeps me sane (barely lol)

5. shorty

Hate and anger are two emotions that I really dislike. I just can't do them. Whenever I feel them, I somehow manage to work out of them. I truely don't like having these emotions.

Anxiety and depression I deal with like 90% of the population. Booze! :slight_smile:

6. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

em i guess im lucky that if i get angry or annoyed at something my friends guess that and know to back off. it must show in my expressions or something. i try not to let things get on top of me but they can do. seem to be dealing with things easier now. normally things like that i let build up and then i jyst explode on a nite out when i dont care.

7. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    Normally I bottle up my emotions. It's a result of seeing emotions (like the ones you mentioned) as roadblocks. When I'm in a situation where I start to feel these, I put them aside and try to deal with the sitch as quickly as possible in the most definitive way I can. That why I can go and explode in private.
    Another way I deal with emotions is avoidance - long time expert of it too. It isn't always very helpful though, but at least it gives me breathing room every once in a while

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I allow myself to feel them, but not to act on them. I reassure myself that it's OK to be angry/scared/pissed/unhappy, but I shouldn't let those emotions dictate how I act.

Lex

9. Bryan44

I dont believe that I handle all of my emotions in the healthiest ways. I guess it is something I should work on.

Anger- I yell a lot and I throw stuff or hit things. I usually scream and punch the wall or whatever is there. I have broken a lot of cell phones and other random things by throwing them at the wall. I may have some small anger issues.

Hate- I generally try not to hate anyone/anything because it effects me more than it effects the other person and or thing. I try to shake off hate, which could be due to the fact that my mom told me never to hate. Haha. In fact I dont recall ever saying that "I hate _____"

Depression- When I get depressed I usually shut myself off from the world. I lock myself in my room and drink or listen to really depressing music. I'll lay in my bed, or lay down in the shower for a long time. Some times when Im depressed I will just get in the car and drive, and some times I write how I feel. I guess it depends on what is depressing me.

Anxiety- I just try to think about positive things, what will be the outcome of the situation Im nervous about. I take deep breaths. I keep telling myself to stay calm and relax. Singing sometimes helps me too.

10. Markio

For negative emotions, I usually do the following:

1) Get away from people.

2) When alone, think about why you're feeling upset or angry and try and locate the source of your anger. You could also do this with a patient friend, or a therapist.

3)A. Avoid the source of your negative emotions, OR
    3)B. Confront the source of your negative emotions.

4) If you let out your anger or negative feelings on someone who did not make you upset, it's a good idea to apologize and explain that you had had a bad day or something.

For example, I had a bad day where a person I was working for looked me in the eye and told me he didn't like me at all. I was at a loss for words, so I went to lunch, where some girls shouted my name. I also hate shouting, so I told them not to shout at me. They thought I was joking and shouted my name again.
    Angry, I ran back to my room and started crying. I went to my friend and told her all that had happened. She listened and said that it sounded to her like I was first and foremost upset by what the person I worked for had said.
    Later on that day I found the girls that had shouted at me and confronted them, asking if they were trying to hurt my feelings or make me feel bad when they shouted at me. They were surprised and said no. I explained that I really dislike shouting, and told them to refrain from shouting at me, because it isn't fun for me.
    I also went to human relations with my supervisor to discuss what I could do with the person who had told me he didn't like me. HR recommended I talk to the person first, to make sure they know that they hurt my feelings.
    I never had a chance to talk to that worker, and so since then I've refrained from getting close to him because I don't feel comfortable around him.

11. Zumbro

Everybody deals with their emotions differently, so there's bound to be something that works for you. Personally I almost always have my laptop with me so I open up a document writer and just write what I'm thinking, in a stream-of-thought kind of way. It's a great way to get things sorted in my head, just by putting them in writing. My need for grammar and writing that flows thanks to AP English makes certain my thoughts come out a bit more coherently, so I can understand and make better decisions from them. Finding a good friend to talk always helps too, but sometimes they aren't around.

I even save my notes, so I can go back in the future and see how much better things are, or if I still have some work to do.

Just keep looking and I'm sure you'll find something that works for you! Try not to break things though. That's just money down the drain! :confused:

12. RaeofLite

Anger- I try to grit my teeth, clench my fists... sometimes I play video games to get my anger out in a first person shooter or something (No I'm not that violent but seeing it on video games helps :confused:) Screaming into a pillow helps as well as does going for a run/to the gym because you start to put that negative energy to work in a positive way.

Hate- I generally narrow my eyes, get very quiet, and if I'm around my friends and someone's doing something I hate, I'll confront the person/situation and ask in a steely voice what's going on and talk it out (even though inside I may be livid).

Depression- I seclude myself in my room. I might not sleep or eat properly. I tend to not eat enough as well when I am depressed. My to do list gets longer. I might cry a lot more often. I

Anxiety- I go out for a smoke (Yes I am quitting...), go for a run/hit the gym, talk to a close friend, listen to music that's generally soothing. I"ll try to sketch or watch a movie to take my mind off of things. I also sometimes procrastinate as a result of feeling anxious and vice versa.

13. kettleoffish

1) Anger :tantrum:

I bottle it up inside, or I kick walls and stuff. I don't (visually) get angry often. Note that this can lead to number 3.

2) Hate :***:

I can hide hate very well. I just act as though I don't hate the person. It's a very useful skill to be able to get on with people you dislike.

3) Depression :tears:

honestly? I have no idea. Normally, I sit in my room alone and cry until it goes away.

4) Anxiety :bang:

I'm not a very anxious person naturally. I don't normally worry about things, and I just let my life take the course that it will if something's out of my control, there's not point fretting over it.

edit: also, alcohol. Lots of alcohol.

14. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anger: I let it out a little bit, but mostly keep it inside. I have to be truly pissed to yell or anything.

Hate: This one I hide pretty well. I just act like I don't hate them.

Depression: I just become more quiet than normal and really don't talk orlaugh or anything. All I want is just to be left alone when I'm depressed.

Anxiety: I really don't get anxiety. I tend to get stressed out sometimes, and will just need to be left alone.

15. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try to let them out. Holding things back is not good, if someone is giving you a hard time then don't just sit there and take it say something. Even if it is something like: "thanks for hurting my feels. you a real jackass."

while I didn't think that movie 17 again was super-awesome-wonderful or anything that speech Zac Effron give in the lunch room about the bully is very true.

16. SRSLYMARK

I don't control them. :slight_smile: Probably my biggest character flaw right there.

17. bailey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Anger: listen to music and try to calm myself down by reading or doing homework

Hate: tell myself hating isn't going to solve anything

Depression: i talk to my counselor

Anxiety: breathe and listen to music

but it all depends on the intensity of the emotions!

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1) Anger - Clench my fists and tighten my body really hard and scream inside my head. Be bitter for a bit. Then let it go.
    2) Hate - Bitterly look down upon the world and wait for the feeling to pass. Towards someone: attempt revenge.
    3) Depression - Do things I enjoy, sleep, or cut.
    4) Anxiety - Xanax, or I just try to ignore it.

19. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

My depression and anxiety are controlled by medication (though medication is necessitated). I suck at controlling anger; I end up throwing things. And I don't feel hate - I refuse myself to.