1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antidepressants

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by 24601, Aug 21, 2007.

1. 24601

To put it bluntly, I think I need them. For some background, my depression started about 4 years ago, when I was first faced with my sexuality, among a few other things. It was very rough for a few years, and I went so far as to visit a psychologist. It was an all-consuming suicidal depression that basically ruined my life for the time it affected me. Then, I found a cure, oddly enough, in online gaming. I became addicted (fully) to World of Warcraft, and it consumed every hour of my day for almost 2 years. During this time I would still get depressed regularly, but not as much. Although I hate the time I wasted on that game, I think the addiction and the constant obsession over it helped alleviate some of my depression. I know it sounds stupid. In retrospect, I think of it on a level with drugs -- addictive, and for me, all encompassing. I quit that, and for a while, I was happy. I was losing weight, and not being bothered by anything. My depression was still lingering, somewhat. I would have episodes every now and then. But for the most part, things were good. Then some things started happening, and things started coming to mind. Slowly, I became more and more unmotivated and depressed. Now, I feel like I'm trapped again, in the same way that I felt last time. I realize now that it has never truly gone away. It's been there this whole time, just waiting, so to speak.

I get depressed over nothing, most of the time. It happens at seemingly regular intervals, in huge mood swings. I am very happy for a while, confident that nothing can bring me down today... then, it happens. I just get very very sad and depressed either for something small and insignificant, or for no reason at all. It happens almost daily, usually later in the day, at around 8 PM now that I'm on an 8 - 12 schedule. In this mood, I'm very self-hating, and very very emotional. I see nothing good about myself, and don't let others get through to me. I've hurt people I consider very dear to myself in these moods, and pushed people away. I would never do that in a non-depressive mood, but when these swings come over me it's almost like I'm a totally different person. My usual rationality plays no part in it at all. I can think to myself, "this is all so stupid, there are people out there that care," but I can't help but feel differently. Then, when the moods pass, there isn't very much lingering. It's like I'm two different people, almost. But I realize that the things I say and do when depressed are very real, and very stupid. Yet, when in those moods, I just can't help it... or something. It's rather hard for me to describe.

So, that brings me to my point. Talking with a psychologist did help me somewhat, but not very much really. It's also a rather expensive solution to such a longterm problem. At the urging of some people close to me, I've come to realize I may need medication. I've talked to some people on here about this concern of mine, and they generally agree. But, the problem is, I'm very scared of antidepressants. Very scared. I do not want to artificially alter who I am and be an emotionless shell. I don't want to lose my sex drive like I've heard can happen. I don't want to be reliant on a medication which I know will happen. But at the same time I can't continue being like this. So, I've decided that the best option open to me now is to speak with my doctor. Yet, I also don't want to tell my parents about this quite yet. When my mom returns, I'm going to ask her to schedule me a doctor's appointment for a variety of (also real, but unrelated) problems, and then ask him privately about it. But in the mean time, I was wondering what you guys thought about this.

2. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Go to a psychiatrist who will be able to tell you whether you have depression or manic-depression. (The two get confused too easily and it is always a VERY expensive and debilitating mistake. Trust me, I went through it.)

3. Sam

Sam

I sunk into a really bad depression when I started dealing with my sexuality and tried to kill myself. the last time I tried to kill myself they were trying to convince me to be put on antidepressants but I refused I have always heard that they make you feel like a zombie and that you put on a lot of weight. doctors still to this day want to put me on them even though I'm not suicidal anymore. I don't want them but if you think you need them then talk to a doctor about it. I might be completely wrong about them they might actually make you feel a lot better. I just don't want to depend on pills to make me feel better. I hope you feel better no matter what you do. if you go see a doctor and talk about wanting them then he/she should put you on some. good luck. and don't listen to my experience everybody is different and you know what you need and what you don't need. there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking antidepressants.

4. CrimsonThunder

(*hug*) I don't know much about the topic, but i hope you do what is right for you. :slight_smile:

5. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Antidepressants are not a bad thing overall. They do help when taken, but in honesty they are only part of the solution. The other part that is not used very much and should be is cognitive therapy, where one is taught to counter negative thoughts with positive. In combo the two work very well for a number of people. Instead of nearly a life time of taking the meds, usual length of therapy is two years. It is a means of teach oneself to get rid of bad habitual thinking and do something positive. Don't just use the SSRIs without the cognitive therapy. Wish you all the best.

6. Jim1454

I went to my doctor in January of this year when I was feeling depressed and suicidal. He prescribed anti-depressants, and THEY WORK! I felt better within a week and a half - I'm taking Effexor (sp?). I've been able to deal with all the bad stuff that's going on in my life much better than I would have without. I've continued with therapy, and I've also been dealing with addiction. The medication has helped. I DON'T feel like a zombie. I HAVEN'T lost my sex drive. I've actually been able to take up an exercise routine and watch what I'm eating, and I've LOST 15lbs! Maybe I'm lucky, but I JUST FEEL BETTER!!! I'd hate to think that you wouldn't try this. It could make a world of difference. PM me if you want to chat more.

7. 24601

Thank you all for your responses. I'm going into my doctor next Friday to talk to him about this (and a few other things). I'll also ask him about the therapy that JayHew mentioned. Jim, you said a lot of what I've been hearing. I think that, even with my worries, it's the right decision. Thanks to all of you. :grin:

8. DarkShadow

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah... i went into that stage at some point, mainly because bullying at school :dry: I needed to take some for abit, major depression hit me didnt goto school for abit. Guess you just gotta deal with stuff, now im basicly depressed all the time just coz i know i like guys nd girls... people if they think its wrong tease you about it...

9. Moth

My situation was and is almost identical. Just like you, I've always refused to take antidepressants for fear of them, and for not wanting to, as you said, artificially alter who I am (which is probably a bigger fear than my fear of the pills themselves). Unlike you, however, I've never seen a doctor for it, though I probably should have, and my parents don't know (which is how I want it). I'm glad you've taken some steps to get help, at least... more than I have. In the past few months I seem to have become my own therapist, and I've improved a lot on my own, but I don't know how long it will last. I wish you the best of luck in seeking help and trying to decide what's best for you... and if you're brave enough to try antidepressants, unlike me, then I'd say go for it if that's what your doctor thinks is best. Keep us posted on how it goes. =]