1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I in a depression?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ANightDude, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ANightDude

Can you guys help me out a bit?
    I've honestly feeling lately that I'm in a depression, and after doing research online, I do think I am based on the symptoms.

I've been irritable for quite a while (not normal for me) on everything, I've lost interest in so many things, when I'm alone I often get sad and cry very hard, and think up thoughts about people I know aren't true, like that I have no one, I'm annoying to people, etc. I've also had quite a bit of suicidal thoughts, and its just really, really awful. I've focused less and less at things and even started getting ruder to my parents, which I never do. I'm actually pretty scared.

When I'm with people, though, it doesn't seem like that at all. I seem almost normal. It's when I'm alone I start getting like that.

Do you guys know whats up?

#1 ANightDude, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. pteen

sounds like, depression. I suggest u c a psychiatrist, write down the # of a suicide hotline, and try to stay around people

3. Zumbro

I agree with pteen that if you do have thoughts of suicide at all regularly you need to talk to someone about it. You could even just start with your school health teacher or counselor, and they'll be able to help you understand a bit just because they know about your daily life. You don't need to worry about them thinking you're strange or different, as it is very common, especially for teenagers.

If you do go far enough that you feel you need to see a counselor, don't worry about that either. They won't pump you full of drugs unless they absolutely need to, and the cost of sessions are often covered by medical insurance companies.

My issues with depression started up around the same age, so I'll tell you don't just ignore them. It doesn't end well. If they actually go away without professional help (which is possible), then that's great, but a professional can certainly help if you think you have major or minor depression.

As for it being worst when you're alone, that is certainly the case. When you're with your friends you can go with the "out of sight, out if mind" attitude and distract yourself, which you can't when you're alone. Some good ways to deal with it that I've found are to remind yourself that you have people who really, really love you (like us!(*hug*)) when you're getting into those thoughts, and to try to not be alone as much (I know it sounds stupid and obvious, but my counselor told me the same thing. If you're happy with other people, than be with other people more often!)

Be warned of internet research as well. If you think of yourself as being depressed, your more likely to act out the symptoms you might not exhibit yet. Focus on what you feel, and not how the internet says your supposed to :thumbsup:

And as for losing interest in things, so long as you're finding other things that interest you, don't worry about it. Your tastes will change as you grow, especially in your teenage years. So long as you have found something new to enjoy, go with it and have fun! And you're a teenager, so being rude to your parents can be attributed to that a bit. Hormones and the whatnot. There's a reason teens are always angsty on tv shows, just don't let it get out of control. :lol:

4. Nah. You're just in a bit of a recession. :slight_smile:

5. pteen

i wish u lots of luck

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

All of what you stated are signs of depression. There are a few different types of depression; when you are in a slump due to psychosocial and environmental factors, typically that would be considered adjustment disorder with depressed mood (this typically goes away when things get better around you). The other types are mood disorders, which are chemical imbalances in the brain that require medication.

I would suggest that you see both a psychiatrist and psychologist; both serve separate purposes and can help you greatly.

A psychologist can provide you with psychotherapy, and a psychiatrist can prescribe an antidepressant medication.

Good luck.

#6 Swamp56, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2010
  7. Jim1454

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling the way you are. I can relate a lot to how you're feeling. It seems to me that I also started feeling that way in my mid teens. Not all the time, but once in a while.

I'm really glad that you recognize it for what it might be, and that you're interested in getting some help. Because there is help for you, and you can feel better. Remember this.

Also remember that you're never alone. There is at least always someone here that you can talk to or chat with. Any of the advisors or moderators (including me) are here to help you in any way we can. I really do hope that you'll reach out to someone (one of us here, a friend, a parent, a teacher, a crisis line) instead of hurting yourself in any way. I've had thoughts of suicide as well, but I'm so very thankful that I got the help I needed to get through them. You can get through them too.

I would also strongly suggest that you tell your parents how you're feeling. They've likely noticed the change in you but aren't sure what to do. Ask to speak to your family doctor, and perhaps they can refer you to a counsellor or therapist or psychologist. Alternatively a counsellor at your school could perhaps help. There's no need to suffer alone. Ask for help.

Please keep us posted. And feel free to contact me directly if you think that would help. (*hug*)

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say you have enough of the warning signs to go ahead and take some steps. The obvious first one is to see your doctor. If it ends up being a simple medical issue, it's best to fix that right off. Then you two can figure out what the next step might be - therapy, medication, or something else.

I'd also suggest something that people very rarely think of - take people on board. Tell them. This isn't the 50s, where depression (like homosexuality) is some horrible secret that none must know about. It's something that happens. Depression can be a bear, no question, but it's no different from any other medical condition. You don't hide your broken bones and your flu, and pretend everything is OK, and hope nobody notices. You admit it. "Yeah, broke my leg skiing" or "Yeah, came down with the flu." So at least with those closest to you - your family, your best friends - consider telling them. "I went to the doctor, and I'm apparently in a bit of a depression right now. So if I seem kinda gloomy, or snap at you out of nowhere, I'm sorry about that."

Lex

9. retrograde

retrograde Guest

I'm clinically depressed; I've been on antidepressants since I was 12. You definitely have the warning signs. Whether you want to speak with a doctor/therapist/psychiatrist about it is up to you.

10. Sylver

I've said this before, and I'll keep saying it until you get help - this is a solvable problem. Start with your family doctor. He/she is trained to recognize the symptoms of depression and can refer to you the proper people who can help you to get over this. It's not about getting through it, it's about getting over it. I know from personal experience that there is NO need for you to suffer.

I really do care about you and I want you to have a great life, but untreated depression will screw it up. Please, arrange to see your family doctor and get the ball rolling.

(*hug*)