1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To lance or not to lance?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Pseudojim, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I run a lot. As a result, i get occasional friction blisters. Personally, i lance them using a needle (which has been sterilised). They seem to heal fine, and it's definitely easier to walk without having to deal with a fluid cushion, but is there another way to get them to heal faster?

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep if you take some Moleskin (you can get it at most convenience stores) and cut a donut out of it (The hole of the donut should be around the size of the blister) and put it around the blister, it will go away naturally because all the weight and friction will be taken off that area. It should heal within a day completely. This is a trick I learned in Boy Scouts, we used it when we went hiking all the time and it works like a charm. The only real thing you can do is keep weight off it. lancing them doesnt really help, it just deflates the bubble...

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    could you define 'moleskin' a little more explicitly? i get the feeling it will either be available here under a different name, or possibly not available at all...

4. KaraBulut

There are some products that runners use- either a corn pad type bandage that has a hole in the center or an occlusive "second skin" that fits over the blister.

http://www.zombierunner.com/store/categories/foot_care/blister_pads/

But in the focus on treatment, don't forget the prevention aspect. Normally, there shouldn't be friction blisters from every day activities. You might want to check the fit of your shoes and think about whether a heavier sock or protective pad might help.

5. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Moleskin is like a sort of beige soft colored thick cloth that has adhesive on one side.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moleskin
    There's the Wiki on it.
    Just remeber, put it around the blister, not on top of it.