1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm getting my tonsils out next Friday!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Negasta, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've had chronic tonsillitis for a while now and repeated courses of antibiotics haven't helped, so next Friday I'm finally getting the little fuckers ripped out.

Who here has had their tonsils out as an adult? What can I expect post surgery?

You can also make fun of my coming pain.:wink:

2. Jerr

How exciting!!! I had it done before I went into 3rd grade. It wasn't that incredably bad... maybe that was just because I was being bribed with lots of ice cream... lol

Hope all goes well and is fun.

3. Double Dubya

I had mine out about a year and a half ago... the older you are the worse you feel it. I had a rough ride and I would never wish it on anybody because it was torture. One of my friends just had it done but I don't know how it went yet

Good luck :thumbsup:

4. JSG

JSG Guest

No way, thats exactly whats happening to me, they are pretty swollen, and have been for months !! I've taken some antibiotics and went back to the Dr yesterday to get some stronger ones...
    Otherwise, operation, rip them out with a kind of sharp spoon :eek:

Keep us updated !!! So that I know whats possibly in store for me :icon_sad:

5. Andreus

In Loving Memory Regular Member

a guy i dated for a while had it done

if you take care of yourself it will be about a week of misery but it will pass

he had some bleeding issues mostly, but the docs gave him adequate pain meds

good luck

ill be praying for ya

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I still have my tonsils but I've heard it's not much fun when you are an adult. Good luck, take your pain meds, and get the appropriate rest and you will probably do okay.

7. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I got mine out before. Its not too bad, I was suprisingly not too scared. But, I had a long recovery for some reason so it was bad for me.

Expect:
    Not to have an appetite for a while. I was like never hungry and I ate like a few yogurts a day for food?
    I lost some weight from not eating well.
    I was dizzy for a while
    Don't eat ice cream at the hospital! The anestetia (SP?) they put in me made me throw up. I threw up the ice cream I ate and threw up when I got home.
    Expect not to be able to talk for a while... its painful when you talk, sometimes.

Don't:
    Don't eat chip or anything for a while. Slowly introduce back foods. You don't want to cut open the tonsil scabs. I've cut mine open a little and blood came up a bit, but if you cut it bad it won't be fun.

Do:

Rest

and thats about all I can think of :astonished: Goodluck, its not as bad as it seems so don't worry. Its better than having them like... rupture (SP?) and having to go for an emergeny and yaddy yaddy yadda.

Good luck

8. 24601

Do you get Vicodin? :grin: :grin: :grin:

:lol: good luck, dude! I had my adenoids removed, but I am obviously not an adult. Hope everything goes well. :slight_smile:

9. panda

I had my tonsils out when I was about 12 I think.I had them taken out on the kitchen table in my house in Toronto.. Sounds pretty strange but it really did happen and recovery wasn't too bad,ice cream and ginger ale.Good luck.

10. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i had my tonsils out went i was 5 or 6 and i remember still being in hospital. i hope your tonsil operation goes well. my 13yo brother snores and mum said that maybe he should have his tonsils out also