1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Growing a Beard?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Markio, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Markio

I have very poor complexion around my jaw, and I'm thinking of growing a beard. Not a thick one, but like similar to the length in Twyster's profile picture (sorry, only example I could think of).

My question is, how does one maintain facial hair? Do you use certain face wash, does skin get worse because of facial hair? Etc. I'm not sure about the specifics.

2. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    if you're considering a beard in order to hide your complexion - I feel like you're taking a step in the wrong direction. I've found that whenever my facial hair grows out, my complexion gets even worse.

3. Markio

See, that's what I thought. It's like that for me too, but I wonder if there's some routine that a bearded person has that keeps his skin healthy.

4. SolitaryKnight

Its all really complicated. For instance, I have very coarse hairs when I grow my beard out, and because of that I tend to suffer from dermal folliculitis (sp), where the hairs get caught under the skin and create bumps (which basically looks like acne). Its annoying as all hell, but after seeing a dermatologist I was recommended a few solutions. He prescribed a cream to help toughen my skin, and he recommended that I should not give myself a 'good' shave, but rather leave the hair out a bit so that it can't get caught.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had a beard off and on for quite a few years. I think at present, I haven't seen my face for about 5 years. Honestly, no particular extra care is needed, you just wash your beard in a similar way to washing your face, maybe massage your face/beard a little.

My own experience is that having the beard, in addition to saving the time spent shaving, is less difficult on my skin (no irritation from shaving). But I think it's also possible, if you're doing lots of sports or other athletic activities where you would sweat a lot, that you could have skin problems if you don't wash your face pretty often.

But honestly, I find the beard to be really low maintenance. The nice thing is, if you are busy, you can get away without having to trim it for days at a time (or perhaps longer, depending on the beard look you're after.)

6. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OOH! I"m so glad I could inspire you! lol I saw the thread and I felt I had to give my two cents!

So personally what happened to me was my roommates last year couldnt grow beards but they all really wanted them. They told me they wouldnt talk to me if I didnt grow a beard, so I did. (They even made a group on facebook which most of the people in my school joined...) So I did grow it and it actually HELPED my complexion, not sure why, but I rarely get zits or anything anymore.
    Cleaning and maintaining a beard is actually pretty easy. I wash it probably once or twice a week with shampoo. when I wash my face in the shower, I dont wash my beard with the soap, because soap will make it go all crazy. Trimming it is pretty easy, I have a beard trimmer with a moustache comb attatchment on it where I can change the length and I just go over it every day or two.

I wont lie, growing it is the hardest part. IT WILL ITCH. After a month or so the itching will stop and you'll get used to it. It can get annoying on your pillow but you get over that too.

If you want any other tips, just ask!

7. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh also, if you shave every day right now, stop doing that. shaving every day is bad for your skin and can cause a bad complexion.
    The only other complexion solution I can think of is washing your face with a bar of soap every day and making sure it doesnt get too oily.

8. Markio

Oops. I shave twice a day... I wonder how frequent shaving is bad for your skin though, because I've never heard that before.

9. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    trust me, a little stubble is a good thing to have. Also, i know someone with a similar facial shape to yours and he's absolutely gorgeous with a little stubble, and I dont normally like stubble!

shaving twice a day is really bad for yours skin. The hair hasnt even tried to grow back yet, with that second shave you're just scraping away at your skin. Leave your skin alone, shave every other day if you feel you have to shave frequently. Or just grow a beard and you'll see improvement in about a month probably!

10. If you grow a beard treat it like your hair. Use a high quality shampoo and conditioner(I use Crew). The most difficult thing about growing a beard is the scruffy stage but that does not last too long. Give it about two months before you trim it. That is the best way to get an idea of what styles you can wear and look good.

The worst thing you can do is spend too much time in front of a mirror. Also ignore people when they say it looks bad. I say when because it will happen. If you ever want to significantly trim it wait 24 hours before doing so.

My last beard grew for 6 months before I decided to shave it off. I waited 24 hours and I do not regret shaving it. It was just over 3" long.

11. Milord

I agree you shouldn't shave twice a day, it's really bad for your skin. Shaving every two days with a good foam helps. I use a skin cleanser twice a day (morning and night) and a moisturizer (morning) and it really helps my skin. It works great, at least, for me :slight_smile:

12. Notreallysure

My face usually breaks out when I don't shave for a few days. The dirt and oil get in the hair and skin and it just makes it nasty. If you are needing some sort of a face wash, I use clinique. They have an acne process that works really well for me. My face breaks out a lot (even though I'm 21!) and this product helps quite a bit.

13. Adam

Oooo beard thread. I started growing a beard for No-shave November, and liked it so much I still have it! Have a pic of me with it in my profile.
    No it doesn't require any extra work to maintain at all at least not for me. Every once in awhile ill shampoo it but that's about it, and trim it nice whenever it gets too long.

14. Corny

Corny Guest

If that's you in the profile pic - I think small/short sideburns and a chin beard would suit your face. You can still take it from there and go for a different style if you don't like it.

Other than that I can agree with most of the posters here - no need for "special" care, yes it will itch in the beginning but it will stop. Do not shave twice a day, that already could be the cause of your skin problems. Although you are already 19, it could help if you continue to use some of the "teen" face washes that help with acne. Don't be embarrassed I had to use them until I was 21 (and had a beard since 17 .. ).

/b/tard detected! (and damn! your beard looks good!)

15. Adam

Actually I was not a /b/tard back then! Everyone knows about no-shave November.
    But now I am on /b/ a lot, sadly... XD