1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gym for the first time?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GhostDog, Jan 20, 2010.

1. GhostDog

So I've never been to a gym before, but I've decided that I am going to go to my university's since I'm paying a hideous tuition fee for it anyway! And I have no idea what, like... to do there.

What should I bring? Water, a change of clothes, soap + shampoo + flip flops (they do have showers, and I live 40 minutes away from campus, so I'll be taking advantage of them), anything else?

The website said that you need to wipe down the weight equipment with a towel after you use it, is there any other gym etiquette I should know about?

And I would love, love, love to use some of the weight machines, but I don't really have an idea of a good routine. Do you do a set of, like, ten to fifteen or however many reps and then move to a different machine? Is that how these things work? Is there somewhere I could look to find a good routine to start with or somethin'?

Is it a bad idea to do cardio and resistance exercise in the same day?

The most I've done is exercise videos and using my family's treadmill, so I'm clueless, clearly. =P

Haha, I should probably talk someone who knows how to work out into coming with me, but I wanted a vague idea of what to expect. Thanks! <3

2. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

Check out bodybuilding.com! They have everything there is to know about working out and you can find a work out that is good for you. You can most definitely do cardio and resistance training in the same day. Make sure you stretch! You need a good 15-30 mins of stretching or you could seriously hurt yourself.

Don't stare at others and don't make a ton of grunting/breathing noises. I find that SO annoying when I'm working out. Also, don't talk to others while they are doing a set. If you aren't sure that you can handle the weight you will be lifting, politely ask for a spotter.

I'm sure your uni has trainers that you can hire. I'd seriously think about splurging the 10-20 bucks and have a trainer walk you through everything before going so you you can learn to work all the machines correctly and safely.

Good luck!

3. Rikudo

Well it all depends are you trying to build muscle or get leaner. If your trying to build muscle then free weights and machines is the way to go. If your trying to get leaner then do the tread mill and core exercises(ex jump rope, push ups, sit ups). I would also suggest a day of rest in between each workout day for your muscles to rest. I would suggest also focusing on different sections of the body per day for example one day do upper body then your next time do lower body. Or split it up even more like chest,arms, legs,etc. Also recently my football coach has had us start taking small drinks before the last rep he says it helps.

As far as common courtesy I always put away whatever weights I take out. Hope this helps and hope you have some fun at the gym.

4. xCrazyInsanity

If you cannot lift it without straining, TAKE THE WEIGHT DOWN. It's not lame, it's not stupid, it's preventing injury.

and don't crush your fingers on weight stacks...learn from my advice on this one

#4 xCrazyInsanity, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  5. Rikudo

Yes this is a golden rule for us more reps less weight is better. It's only when you trying to find your one rep max that you do more than you can normally handle. Also safety wise make sure that if your doing bench or squats that you have some one spotting you. And if you're doing cleans make sure to use belts to support your back.

6. GhostDog

Thanks everyone! This is all good to keep in mind. =D Apparently the weight room has a staff there to help out us young grasshoppers who might end up breaking ourselves without some equipment instruction, thank god, haha.

They have a "so you're totally new at this, eh, fatty?" fitness assessment/1 hour personal training session thing that would be cool to do if it weren't $68. >.< The individual personal training sessions themselves aren't too bad, though. Hrm!

I'm primarily looking to lose weight, but I would definitely love actually having some upper body strength for once. I figure, I should be able to do 15 pushups without making noises like a shot moose. That is probably a reasonable goal, haha. =P

7. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

Well you need to build muscle to burn fat, so lifting will totally help you out with that! If you want to lose weight you need to do a lot of cardio and lift lower weight high reps at a pretty good pace. Between a set you should stay active. This will really get your body going. Try and see if you are able to hire the personal trainer with more than one person and ask some friends if they would be interested so it will lower the price!

8. xCrazyInsanity

But you're also not trying to lift your max 8-15x...

9. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

haha, the towel bit amused me. i remember when i went along to my bro-in-laws gym i was using the bench there. it does get kinda sweaty, more than you would think haha. im sure that after a while you would get used to the workout and wouldnt be soo bad. also i totally recommend using the boxing stuff. its soo much fun.

10. Rikudo

Oops I should've been clearer.
    Your one rep max is a one time completion of said exercise at the largest amount of weight that you can handle.

11. starfish

I highly recommend getting a trainer.

Mine has helped me a lot and I can call him any time I have questions.

12. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

This is soooo scary! I decided to actually go to my university's exercising facilities recently too! Like, Wednesday! OMG can someone say telepathy!!!? LOL!

Good Luck :slight_smile:

OH OH OH AND HERE'S MY ADVICE!!!!! BRING A LOCK FOR YOUR LOCKER!!!!!!!!!! ESSENTIAL!!!!!!!!! I went in Wednesday not knowing I needed to bring a lock and so I had to leave my stuff with the front desk- I felt like an idiot! SO LOCK, BRING A LOCK YOU KNOW THE COMBINATION TO!!!!! Universities may seem like a place of higher learning but people still do low things like steal from others! LOCK! BRING A LOCK!!!!

13. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Oh, and you get to see guys' wangs in the locker room LOL! Well, in your case...muffins? LOL!

14. RainInAfrica

When using weights, experiment with you starting weight, until you find something comfortable. Do 12 reps, you know its the right weight if the 12th one is difficult to do, then move on to another machine, and do the same, then either go back to the first machine and repeat, or go for a third machine. You should do this 3 times on each machine.

Tips : Please don't sit on machines while resting . . . other people need to use them .

Drink a small amount of water regularly.

I've to go now but i'll add more later :slight_smile:

15. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

my favorite part of the work out! hahahaahah

16. Emberstone

I hate gyms, not because they are sweatty or anything, but because there always seems to be that cocky gymdouche who pretends everything is a competition.

or a gym brat who sits at the curling machineand those 40 minutes of arm curls and acts all buff when his arms are skinnier than mine where when I was 7.

17. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    seriously, this is just what is needed with machines.

18. Johnnieguy

The only guys in my gym that walk around without towels are over 60. I would prefer that everyone cover up, even though it's kind of fun to sneak a peak at the hotties when they take their towels off.

To all the guys: what do you think of locker room ettiqute: should men walk around naked, shave naked, etc? I think it's in poor taste. (Gals can answer too, I guess).

As far as locks go...My gym has mechanisms in the door so that you can put your membership card in a slot and then a built-in key pops out. If you don't have a lock or that option, get a lock, but don't go out of your way to do it. I don't think many people will steal from you. Even when I was at a "large" public school in North Dakota I was surprised to see how many people didn't lock their lockers. And at my smaller university in central MN theft was such a minor issue...Heck, even our dorms/apartments were almost never locked.

Edit: Just do not leave valuables in your locker..Keep them hidden in the trunk of your car, your dorm room, whatever.

If you do cardio and strength training in the same day, I remember hearing somewhere that it is better for your body to hit the weights before cardio..Just an idea, not sure if it has any merit.

#18 Johnnieguy, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
  19. RainInAfrica

Worked fine for me :slight_smile:

20. RainInAfrica

So very agreed . .. . .. .