1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so how do you stay motivated?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by malachite, Jan 21, 2010.

1. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've been on this diet and exercise regiment for about a month and a half now. Haven't seen much yet.

So, my question to you all is this: How do you stay motivated to keep trying to loose that weight?

2. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    You make it a habit. It took me 4 years to make healthy eating a habit. I started in Freshman year of High school and mastered it Senior year. It can take that long to totally break cravings and bad habits. Some tips:

1) Do your own shopping. This will help you control your own diet. Make sure you go to the store on a full stomach. If possible go multiple times a week.

2)Lift weights It helps you burn more calories, and it makes you crave good foods like proteins and healthy foods. By that I mean that your metabolism will speed up giving you actual hunger as opposed to cravings. Knowing and recognizing the difference between hunger and cravings is very important.

3)Don't cheat. Some people like to say that it's okay to eat unhealthy foods every once and a while. This is false. If you have a really strong craving, it is because your body/mind has built up an addiction due to an unhealthy diet. Imagine unhealthy foods like a drug. No drug addict can do drugs in moderation. Telling yourself that 1 cupcake, 1 chocolate, 1 small fry, etc. is not going to hurt you will. It will make things harder in the long run. In actuality, the 1 unhealthy food isn't going to make you fat, but the more pernicious affect is the re-habituation of craving and addiction. Make a pact to not eat unhealthy foods. You don't have to do it all at once, I certainly didn't, but eliminate certain types of foods, bad nutrients, from you diet. Getting rid of the actual addiction is the hardest and most rewarding part of changing your eating habits.

4) Carry snacks/Eat often. Eat every couple hours. This prevents bingeing and keeps your metabolism high. If you know you're not going to be able to eat for a long stretch of time, bring food with you.(Dried/fresh fruit, nuts, etc)

Optional) Results should not be your motivation, self efficacy should be. That is, you should be motivated by self control and over all health rather than your figure or waist line. Use looks as a supplement to your motivation.

Get a workout buddy This help motivate and keep you on schedule.

Drink real green tea. The caffine boosts metabolism.

3. Rikudo

Well since right now I'm not trying to lose weight I can't help you there. But as far as exercise goes once you do it enough it just develops into a habit(or it did at least for me).

4. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

When it comes to exercise I don't stay motivated simple as that - lot of help I am I know