1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

colds and flu

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jayden, Aug 22, 2007.

1. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    mum kept me and my 10yo brother home from school today because we both have a bit of a cold again. in the night my nose was stuffed up and i found it hard to breathe and went i went to sleep mum and dad said they could hear me snoring from there room. i also have a bad cough that wont stop.
    our weather here was cool and then it went warm and now cool again so thats probably why me and nathan have a cold again??? has any one else been getting these colds and flu also???:tantrum:

2. CrimsonThunder

its going around down here as well, my immune system is pretty good so i rarely get sick. even tho i want too, I want some time off work. >_>

3. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

There is little scientific basis in fact concerning the cool, warm cycle in contributing to a cold or flu. Granted, chilling of the body can decrease the immune system somewhat, but it is not the basis of the cold or flu.

Many colds can come from person to person contact or microscopic spray when someone coughs or sneezes near by but the most common place for colds and flu come from inanimate surfaces, counter tops, door knobs, etc. The virus is picked up and transferred to the mouth, once inside the body, the virus invades cells and start replicating itself. Once a certain number of cells become infected, then the symptoms start to show.

One of the major means of preventing colds and flu,..... hand washing. Not a light rinse under the water, but soap and time spent in washing the hands with lots of suds. 10 seconds per surface is consider minimal for good hand washing.

Just as an FYI, a couple of studies have been done over the years with a video cam being placed in the public restrooms in major universities, showing only the sink area. Of all the people that came and go in such a place, it was found that less than 10% washed their hands and if you eliminate those who "rinsed" it was less than 8% washed their hands after using the toilets. A little, ahem, food for thought.

Another study was done in Hospitals where hand washing is supposed to be standard. Even with hand washing, there was a 44% transfer of cultured bacteria to media. Now the standard is washing, but followed with hand sanitizer. When hand sanitizer alone was used there was only a 17% transfer of cultured bacteria to media.

So the conclusion in preventing a majority of colds and flu, wash your hands and follow it up with hand sanitizer. The overwhelming majority of colds and flu are contracted via the hand to mouth route.

4. davo-man

Ive got a bit of a cold as well, and would love a day off school, but unfortunately since Im in year 12, i dont wanna miss ANY work so i have to go....the cold's sorta wearing off now, so its all good

5. Tom

Tom Guest

Tom if u want time off work then just chop a finger off or somet wile ur at work, they can always re attatch it and wile its healing no chance ur goin work, aint i full of clever lil ideas??? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: -refers 2 get ur parents drunk b4 u come out 2 em (in chat room last night)-

6. CrimsonThunder

No thanks Tom, remember how I don't like blood. =P

I forgot to say I hope you get better Jayden! <3

7. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hi crimison i feel better today and went to school today but came home a bit early. it is still cool weather here but i slept better last night. my spots are still itchy at night though!!!:tantrum: