1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pulse rate high?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by darkestknight, Jan 25, 2010.

1. darkestknight

There - I had acquired a blood pressure monitor for my ma, and I had tested it on myself too. The pulse rate is 90-100, which caused my parents to make noise, claiming that I didn't exercise when every alternate days I worked on the dumb-bells and the barbells, until I sweat, and I ran out of breath.

This number was taken 1h after dinner, and 2h after exercise.

Next thing is they wanted to drag me to jog with them already. Shoulda let me subscribe to the gym instead.:bang:

2. KaraBulut

At rate of 90-100 is not unusual during moderate activity like walking or light exercise. But it is a bit high for someone your age who is at rest.

Automatic pressure cuffs aren't reliable for pulse detection. They have a tendency to pick up ambient noise in the count.

Instead, take your pulse manually by placing your index and middle finger on the side of your adams apple. Count for 15 seconds and multiple the number by 4. Take it in the morning before breakfast, during the day when you're resting and again before you go to bed. If the rate when you are resting continutes to be high, then you should talk with your doctor.

#2 KaraBulut, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

You're pulse could be high for a number of reasons or the machine might be wrong. Take it a few times a day when you're at rest using your hands and a stopwatch and if it is above 90 every time it might be worthwhile bringing it up with your doctor.

4. darkestknight

Just after I got up, I measured it again: 110/74 and the pulse rate is 80~90. And I hadn't took my breakfast yet.

5. KaraBulut

And you're how old?

6. darkestknight

Oh I'm 23 years old.

7. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

You're blood pressure is pretty good. Did you measure your pulse without the machine?

8. darkestknight

I don't have a syphgomanometer now - only thing I have is the blood pressure monitor cuffs. Yes, and with and without the machine, I measured the pulse. It's 80~90.

9. KaraBulut

The normal resting heart rate for an adult is 60-100. Athletes and long distance runners can have rates as low as 40.

So, you're in the normal range.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine's generally like 15 beats per second, which means mine's like 60 per minute, so I guess I'm fine lol. But yeah I think you should be fine 80-90. If it gets higher when resting, maybe get a doctor to check you out.

11. Eponine

Oh my, 15 beats per second would actually mean 900 per minute. xD

12. Apocalypte

Should I be worried that my resting pulse rate tends to be in the 45-50 range?

13. KaraBulut

Are you a runner or an athlete? Are you on any medications that slow the heart rate?

Generally, as long as you have otherwise normal health- a normal blood pressure, no signs like fainting or feelings of weakness, we don't worry too much about it. The doctor may do an EKG just to check everything out but as long as that is normal, there's no reason for alarm.

Occasionally, we get runners and athletes into the hospital. We hook them up to the monitor which sets off all sorts of alarms. It's so seldom that we get otherwise healthy people into the hospital that we have to be reminded that slow heart rates in athletes is an indicator of superior and more efficient cardiac function- as opposed to a disease process like we would see in an older person.

14. Apocalypte

No meds, I run 30-40 miles a week (currently base-building for an autumn marathon, absolute goal is to qualify for Boston). I got my hands on a cheap heart rate monitor a couple of weeks ago and was shocked that my resting heart rate was so low.