1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

masturbation sin?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Connor22, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Connor22

so this is what I want to know, is masturbating a sin? I've been trying to work it out for ages and no results, anybody have any ideas?

2. Sylver

(*cringe*)

That means there are a whole lot of sinners out there. In fact some are probably sinning right now...

I uber-hate the idea that masturbation is a sin (which it IS according to strict Catholic dogma). I know from where I speak because I'm a recovering Catholic. They claim it's because you're spilling out a bunch of wasted babies-in-waiting each time you complete the task at hand. Sex is supposed to be reserved for making more Catholics and nothing else, and you're not supposed to have any fun while doing it. Interestingly this is also one of their contentions for why homosexuality is so wrong, because it doesn't result in more Catholic babies. Ugh.

I can tell you this from years of experience, keep on truckin' and don't worry yourself about whether or not it's a sin. Here's my general rule on sinning:

"If it doesn't hurt someone else, it isn't a sin"

Last time I checked, spending some quality time with myself doesn't hurt anyone else. And frankly I'd prefer it if my congregation wasn't in the room with me at the time just to judge me. Surely they have better things to do, like limiting women's rights, spreading AIDS in Africa or bashing gays.

3. JakeBHT

love you james!

4. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I was raised catholic, but the way I see it guys produce like millions of sperm a day. So like if all of them became a person the world would be over populated in a day! Also there are on where near enough women to have the babies...

5. Taurusguy92

ya... if it was a sin I would be going to hell without a doubt... I agree with bouncingsouls point and also we never stop producing sperm even when we're all really old and such males continually produce sperm.

6. Shevanel

I'm a Catholic. No it's not a sin.

/end thread.

7. Zach1992

Isn't sex also a sin then too? I mean only one sperm of the million gets to the egg.

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so I guess having a wet dream is also a sin?

But to answer your question, NO!

9. Zumbro

According to the catholic church, it is. I spent enough time with the religion to know about it. I saw that in one of my religion classes, and it only enforced my escape from it. I mean, come on, no masturbation? WTF? You expect me to go outside when I'm bored or something? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Hi there. I'm a proud Catholic ( I take it you are as well) and in no way is it a sin. It's a sin because those of the past say it was a sin. Everybody, regardless of religious beliefs, does it. The way I see it I can't control it if I had a nocturnal emission (wet dream) because that's just me but I think the Church is against that too. How can you be against that if you have no control over it (very much like homosexuality)? Many religions have it as a sin (not just Catholicism) for what reason I don't know (I think it may be because sex, therefore sperm [LOL], is "meant" for marriage).

Clearly, you identify yourself as Gay- that's "against" the Catholic Church ain't it? So don't worry about it :slight_smile:

As long as there have been people in the world they have been 'rubbing one out' and if it was the COLOSSAL SIN then God probably would have ended the world a long time ago... you know what are colossal sins (despite that they are not as stressed in ancient times as masturbation is)? Murder, adultery, rape, theft, and a billion other things- I don't think masturbating is in that list a'tall!!! LOL!

#10 RAJ Aladdin, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
  11. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Oh and one more thing about the sins I wrote out- rape (of a woman) was not a sin back then...BUT HULLO!!!??? We know today IT FREAKIN' IS!

#11 RAJ Aladdin, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
  12. RaeofLite

I'm sorry but how is it a sin?
    Releasing sexual tension where you would otherwise go crazy?

Also, a baby before marriage or sex before marriage would also be a sin in that case? And I'm pretty sure over half the world's population does that... (likely more actually).

13. runner246

runner246 Guest

It depends on how you define "sin"

If you don't want to do anything defined as "ungodly" in current christian beliefs then yes. It is said again and again that the sacred powers of procreation are to be utilized only to raise a family. the whole "abstinence before marriage" thing. (and no, its not because you're killing hundreds of unborn babies, its that you are misusing a God-given power). under this definition, homosexuality is also a sin. it is said in the bible that the powers of life and death are given to God alone. Messing with either is considered an abomination.

(As a side note, if you ever feel that the impulses are natural and can't be controlled, you're partly right. They are natural. If we didn't have them, then why would anyone bother? Sex is the most important thing to ever happen on Earth. And they can be controlled. That is another basic Christian belief: controlling the natural man leads to increased faith and a greater obedience to the Gospel)

But everyone knows that Christians are old-fashioned. If you think of a "sin" as something that no one is supposed to be doing and is going to ruin your life, don't think that at all. Lots of people lead perfectly happy lives while jerking off at the same time.

So, depending on what you want, it can be seen either way. Hope this helps!

14. Sicsemper79

Hell yeah, it's a wonderful wonderful sin! Same as being gay is a sin. Same as eating fish on a fucking Friday is a sin, same as lusting after someone you aren't married to (in the eyes of the church) is a sin.

Yup... my suggestion for sinning is lots of lube. I like slippery sin.:eusa_danc

15. Emberstone

sin is a human construct created within human terms.

masterbation is a instinctual contrust, a phsyiological urge for release.

which is more natural?

16. cpt doodles

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    if it is im going to hell!!
    i dont think it is - i hope its not, i'd ask my minister but ive a feeling itd be pretty awkward lol AND there was a sermon at my church about sex, and the dude said that your, um... yeah well anyway, was made for PLEASURE aswell as reproduction, wether or not it involves another person i dont think matters :slight_smile:

#16 cpt doodles, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honey if masturbation is a sin, I should be blind, have hair on my hands and be crippled by now. *looks at hands, legs and realizes I can still see* Yeah, it isn't a sin.

18. Étoile

Isn't everything fun a sin?

19. Ben

Ben

I was reading about the American Right and masturbation (part of my studies is attitudes to sexual permissiveness and the family in the Christian Right). Even they're cool with it. And they're not cool with anything!
    The closest you come in the Bible is "spilling the seed". I'm not sure what the story is about, but it's something like this guy pulling out and making a mess when his wife wants to get pregnant because he doesn't want to have kids.

20. haelmarie

After a quick Google search:

"Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."

Click

So yes, it is a sin.

EDIT: for some reason I assumed you were a Catholic. If you're not into worshipping that Jesus kid (or are just not Catholic), then no, it is definitely not a sin.