1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have some seriously irrational phobias. (Help?)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Katherine, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I'm embarrassed just to be posting this. But I'm serious. I have a phobia of vomiting. Yes, vomiting.

It's really, really annoying. If anyone talks about vomiting, I get nervous. If anyone else vomits, I get even more nervous. And whenever I start feeling even the slightest bit nauseous, I get so afraid that I'm going to throw up that I literally have a panic attack. Rapid heartbeat, chest tightening, dizziness, hot flashes. It's horrible.

And I have. No. Clue. Why. I mean, throwing up obviously isn't a pleasant experience for anyone, but I'm just downright terrified of it for no reason whatsoever. And I KNOW this is a completely insane and irrational thing to be afraid of, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with. I've had this fear since I was little, and it only seems to have gotten worse over the years.

It's similar to my fear of shots/needles. I logically know that they're nothing to be afraid of, but just thinking about getting a shot freaks me the hell out. I'm also terrified of doctors and dentists, mostly for that reason.

These stupid phobias are seriously interfering with my life. I just don't know what to do. Clearly telling myself that they're irrational isn't helping. Anyone have any tricks for getting over irrational fears? I'm getting really sick of this (no pun intended :eusa_doh:slight_smile:.

2. Sylver

Aww, don't be embarassed! (*hug*) I can tell you for sure you're not the only one with phobias, and you're surely not the only one with these particular phobias. Anyone with debilitating phobias will share your misery and probably wants to talk about theirs too. In your case, maybe you had a bad experience with vomiting as a baby which you can't recall any more, and that is manifesting itself as this phobia. And ask any nurse, needle phobias are very common.

The phobias are bad, but I think it's the panic attacks that are the worst. I used to get them soooo bad... They would creep up on me and happen so unexpectedly. There was a point where they were ruining my life because I was afraid to go out of the house! But then they started happening in the house! So I feel for anyone who suffers from panic attacks.

I don't know if there's a "cure" for phobias. I used to be like you with needles, but now they don't bother me quite as much any more (except maybe the dentist - there's something freakin' wrong with jamming a needle up my gums... *shudder*). I'm also a little better with flying now, although I still HATE it with a passion. However I've never got over my petrifying fear of heights and I don't think I ever will.

There's a chance you'll outgrow these phobias or they might diminish with time, so you can find some hope there. If not, you might want to look into coping strategies rather than looking for cures. There's quite a bit of good information on the Internet for how to block a panic attack, and how to control your responses to triggers like phobias. Some have worked for me, others haven't. Hopefully you'll find something that will work for you!

3. Jim1454

Have you thought about seeing a professional about this stuff? Honestly - that's what therapists are for! Talk to your family doctor (when there aren't any needles around!) and let them know that you're really struggling with this stuff. They'll refer you to someone who can help.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone has something that freaks them out. The needle thing much more common then you realise. As for the vomiting, I would worry about it, unless you plan to go vomit near people who know.

I get freaked out by roaches, it makes no sense that I would be freaked out by something the size of my thumb, but it does.

Everyone has something that they don't like.