1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In and out of focus...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RaeofLite, Feb 1, 2010.

1. RaeofLite

I just thought I'd post it here. I've had these 'occurances' since I was 6 or so (and I'm 21 now)? I told my mom once, she got all worried, so I brushed it off with "oh I realized it was a daydream" and went about my way while her worries vanished.

What happens, is I can be staring or reading something, and things will blur (yes, even when I'm wearing my glasses or contacts in which I can see perfectly clear), and I seem to lose focus and touch with things. If someone calls my name, I can distantly hear them but don't seem to snap out of it til 5 or so seconds afterwards and in that time frame things seem slower and strange. When I snap out of it things clear up and come into focus again.

And this isn't a daydream from what friends have referred to as dreaming about goals, the "hot chick/guy in class" or what they're having for dinner etc. I see the same things in my surroundings, just blurry and I can't seem to focus on anything (whether it be with my eyes or attention span in that 5 second window).

I have been in a coma and had issues breathing when I was a year old (I turned blue and was put in the hospital for days). I've also bounced on my parents bed when I was two and cracked my skull open on the bedside table and had to have it sewn together again..
    (Maybe that's why? I don't know.)
    ---------
    ...I feel kind of embarassed posting it here. I mean, I'm not crazy, but this has something I've always wondered. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? Or do you know of what it might be?

#1 RaeofLite, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. KaraBulut

You should mention this to your physician. It might be just a mental drift but it could also be something more serious. I would recommend that you have it evaluated since it could be problematic if you are driving or doing something that requires concentration.

3. RaeofLite

It's never happened while driving. But I guess I could talk to her.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can get like this, too, although perhaps not quite as deep as you. What usually happens is I just get immersed in something. A popular story told about me as a child was when I was in first grade. I apparently started reading during class, and just totally got sucked in. I kept reading and reading.

The teacher told us all to get ready for recess...and I kept reading.
    The class was dismissed table by table to the playground...and I kept reading.
    After all the students had filed out, the teacher walked over and was about to leave the classroom...and there I was, still reading.
    Finally, she turned the lights on, causing me to jerk my head up suddenly.
    I had literally no idea what had happened during that time. I wasn't even aware that I was (nearly) alone in my classroom.
    My teacher smiled indulgently and said "Now that's what I call concentration."

Like you, I've never had it happen while driving or what not. But friends and family can start feeling like I'm ignoring them at times. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. Shebbs

xD This happens to me too. Only, I can also control when it happens. I can make it happen. It's almost relaxing to me. Just to get out of reality for a few seconds.

6. RaeofLite

Yea, I can be reading, but things start to blur (and I'm not really following the lines like I was a second ago) for a period of 5 seconds or so, and I stare at one space and then things come into focus again and I get a bit annoyed that I wasn't reading properly. >< Weird.

Haha, thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

7. xCrazyInsanity

Yeah, i get this a lot actually... then again I can also force myself to snap out if absolutley necessary