1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Body Temperature

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Rikudo, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Rikudo

So I was wondering if it was normal for me to feel extremely overheated after working out. Now I've been weight lifting consistently for the past two months and never have I felt as over heated then I did last night. Now yesterday I did my regular work out but I also had to do a new work out for Track. Which consisted of running stairs for 3, 2:30 min sets, then core muscle workout, various shot-put throwing exercises and finally throwing the actually shot-put. I should also add that even though I've been lifting I haven't ran in months. This isn't the first time I've gotten severely overheated it happens almost daily during two a days during football. But I always thought that it was the heat that did it to me at the time so why'd it happen in the middle of winter and we practiced indoors where it wasn't too hot or cold. What concerns me is that I had an extremely difficult time sleeping last night because I just felt burning hot and the lack of sleep made me tired today. So just wondering if it is normal. What would be something for me to do to not get so overheated or ways to deal with the overheating. Thanks for any help guys.

2. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it's possible if you're over exerting yourself. Also, pushing the limits is a good thing but be careful that you're not surpassing it constantly--that can prove dangerous.

You're makings sure to space your strength toning a minimum of 24 hours apart, right?

It sounds like you're over-working. And while physical activity (cardio in particular) is good, using your muscles too much without enough rest will cause you fatigue, heat exhaustion, and other nasty detriments. You need to take it is. All those activities back to back will be stressful on your body--especially if you're not within a 'standard' weight.

You can get heat exhaustion related illnesses in most any whether if your body can't cool down.

It sounds like you're fatigued, meaning you need a few days rest to really heal up. You can make yourself sick that way too which may be what happened. If you can't cool down after 30-45mins of rest, then you've got a serious problem.

3. Rikudo

Well I did do a heavier then usual work load that day so I might just stick with the lighter lifting day on the back to back days.

Unfortunately even though I know it's best to have a day's rest in between lifting days. I tend to ignore it but I do different lifts everyday except Thursday & the weekend is the only time I rest.

Also the extreme heat was at it's worst after I showered and then spiked up when I was sleeping.

4. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you mean spiked up when you were sleeping?

And also, you're not going to be building muscle very efficiently (assuming that's your objective) should you continue a routine like that. As good as it may feel, really you're doing more harm than good.

5. Rikudo

I meant it seemed to get even hotter when I tried to sleep. I had to lay on our leather couch which tends to be very cool during winter in order to cool down and sleep finally.

Well I've seen nice results with what I'm doing but either way I'm going to have to stop cause next week Track starts officially. Meaning I won't have time for going lifting.

6. 4 seat

I know what you mean. Whenever I had 2 or 3 a day practices, I would get really really hot as is. I sweat A LOT, sometimes excessively. I noticed that you didn't say anything about how much water you drink before, during or after practices. If you drink too little, that can cause you to overheat, which will cause you to sweat more, which will make you dehydrated, which will cause you to overheat even more. Make sure you drink enough.

Also, my dad's a doctor and he said that a lot of times, just drinking water won't cut it. Make sure you're getting enough electrolytes and salts. Salt retains water and if you don't get enough, you'll just end up pissing the water out without retaining it and having it cool you down. That can cause major cramps. I had one 2 and a half years ago, midday in July, just got done with a 4 hour workout, during which I went through 6 shirts. 10 minutes after it was over, it was one of the worst pains I've ever had in my life, I started screaming and fell and clutched my legs and after 5 minutes of screaming and almost crying, I ended up passing out from the pain and my friend freaked out and had to carry me to a trainer. Haha, horror story to keep you hydrated.

Also, for whatever reasons every couple weeks, I get crazy CRAZY sweating when I sleep, whether it's hot or cold. Like, I have to dry my mattress cuz it's soaked through, change my shorts and sleep somewhere else, full body sweating. It sux and I don't know what to do either.

As far as lifting, you have to make sure you give your muscles a break in between if you wanna build muscle. At least 2 days rest for major muscle groups, or every other day for abs, lower back and general core. I usually do bis, tris shoulders and chest one day, legs, glutes, calves and lower back the next day, and then cardio the third day. And I do abs every other day, regardless of the other body groups.

7. Rikudo

Well I make sure to drink lots of water, juice etc. I take small trips to the water fountain before the last rep which our coach has demanded from us. I don't notice alot of sweating. Also today I did lifted and feel fine no overheating or whatnot. Maybe it's just cause of the extra workload I did on Monday.

8. Johnnieguy

Try to make sure your blood sugar isnt out of whack too. Sometimes my body overheats when I don't eat enough during a day that I work out. Carry a Clif-Bar in your gym bag to help. Cold showers will help if you're really overheating fast.