1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side effects may include..

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RaeofLite, Feb 4, 2010.

1. RaeofLite

I went to the doctor the other day because something was "wrong" down there. No, no STD's people... :lol: but yea, anyway..

I explained it to the walkin clinic doctor, was given a prescription and I left. I had the prescription filled and went along my merry way-taking the pills as directed.

http://www.drugs.com/cons/apo-sulfatrim.html

So it's day two of these meds and I'm developing a rash on my chest. >< I looked up the medication online and this was one of the "rare" Severe side effects, amongst death and difficulting breathing (which I'm horrified at). :eek:

...So I'm going to quit the meds even though I was directed to take them. I mean... they shouldn't be causing a rash. ><

Yet I don't have a ton of extra $$ to waste on continuing to find meds that are 'appropriate'... These were $20. Which isn't a lot to many people, but I'm a student... :dry:

So I'm not sure if I should just let the doctor know, give them back to the pharmacy, and get off the pills and hope the condition was treated enough or some other option I haven't thought of.

2. Stuie

Go see your doctor about the rash if it is really concerning. Unfortunately if you stop antibiotics after two days, it probably won't cure it.
    Rare side effects are exactly that. RARE! If you were prescribed them and it's just a UTI, you are almost certainly going to cure that UTI rather than end up dying. It's a pretty safe drug and is a tried and tested one.

3. KaraBulut

You need to call the doctor and tell him about the rash- as soon as his office opens.

The drug you were prescribed is called a "Sulfa" antibiotic. They're very effective for urinary tract infections but there are a lot of people who have an allergy to sulfa drugs.

Most of the time these allergies just result in a rash but if you continue to take it, you could trigger a more severe reaction.

The doctor will most likely need to change you to a different antibiotic and if he agrees that it is an allergy, then from now on you will need to let all your medical providers know that you are allergic to sulfa drugs.