1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just curious - really sweet stuff?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Bunny, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Bunny

Hey, I tried googling but to no avail, so - has anyone ever experienced this? I'm sure it can't be too uncommon.

Sometimes when I eat or drink something that's way too sweet, it makes my throat totally flip out and spaz, and then for a few moments I can't breathe. Like, it's so sweet that it overwhelms me. It's hard to describe when you aren't going through it.

I'm really curious as to what causes this. It's not that bad or bothersome and it only happens occasionally, but I want to know why! :astonished:

2. RaeofLite

When you say 'spaz', do you mean like coughing? Does your throat tighten? Are you possibly allergic to something you're drinking? :frowning2:

3. NeonCookies

I actually have that happen to me but its not with sweets its with sour stuff and it also makes my jaw hurst :S lol

4. Bunny

Yeah, my throat tightens. But I don't cough, I'm not...a coughing type of person, you know? I doubt it's an allergy because it's not any one specific thing, just when I have something reaaaallly sweet, like a slushie with a lot of syrup, or straight chocolate or something.

5. RaeofLite

Maybe you're allergic to the adatives they have to a lot of processed ("not natural") foods. My parents thought my sister had that after she ate some processed foods and had her throat tighten-she had to go to the ER asap. :frowning2: I'm glad they found out what it was..

Well maybe talk to your doctor and let him/her know what happens. You wouldn't want to one day have too much of something and then go into anphylactic(spelling?) shock... :confused:

6. Bunny

That's true. Maybe I'll mention it the next time I'm in for a refill prescription.

Oh and hey, it's nice to meet someone else from the Okanagan! Hiya!

7. KaraBulut

It depends on what kind of sweet item that you're talking about.

Many people find that swallowing honey or syrups can make their throat burn or sting. And they often describe it as "taking their breath away".

Usually, this is caused by a combination of irritation of the throat (from post-nasal drainage or an infection) along with the hyperosmolar (high concentration) of sugars in the syrup.

If this is the problem, you can usually stop the problem either by diluting the item with water before drinking it, or taking it into your mouth and washing it down with a glass of water.

8. Bunny

Okay, cool. Not a very spectacular explanation, but that makes sense.

It's really just anything that's super sweet, like really sweet flavours of slushie, or milk chocolate.

My mom has the same thing, and she described it as a choking feeling.

9. KaraBulut

Out of curiosity, do you have issues with chronic allergy and scratchy/irritable throat during certain seasons of the year?

10. Bunny

Umm, no, I don't think so. I might get dry eyes in the winter and the spring, though.

11. Chandra

YES, this exact thing happens to me too! Most people have no idea what I'm talking about when I describe it to them. I've only met one other person who understood, and we were both so surprised to discover someone else who experiences the same phenomenon. Weirdly, this conversation happened just a couple of weeks ago.

12. Bunny

OMG, and another person from the Okanagan, too! Maybe there's something in the air? xD

It happened once to me again today. It doesn't seem like it should be at all uncommon, like. I dunno.

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get something similar if I eat too fast, usually I just have to take a moment, sip some water then I"m ok.

14. Chandra

*cue Twilight Zone theme*

Only thing is, I'm originally from Ontario, so there goes that theory. :slight_smile:

15. Bunny

Hey, I was born in the Kootenays. Maybe just living here makes us weird.